What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you add words to the spell checker?

Bluray

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why is it so difficult for Apple to add this feature?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Who knows. I love apple and my ipad but of all my niggles this is the top one! Love it or hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I just turn the autocorrect off. I make more mistakes, but at least they are my mistakes. ;)

I seem to make lots of mistakes these days so I hadn't really considered turning it off. Now that you mention it though, it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Timofey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any idea why adding words to the dictionary is not a feature? It seems like a no brainer.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Timofey said:
Any idea why adding words to the dictionary is not a feature? It seems like a no brainer.

It may have to do with memory concerns and a destabilization of iOS. Just guessing here...

Last edited:

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't a customisable dictionary coming with the iOS 5 upgrade ?

Sent from my beloved iPad 2 using iPF...... All For One And One For All.

Timofey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Adding to the dictionary you would hope does not destabilize the OS. I am not a programmer and wouldn't know. I'll stand by, live with the deficiency, and hope revisions correct. Thanks all!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's a ridiculous statement. There is no way that adding to the dictionary could destabilize the OS...

-t

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:
That's a ridiculous statement. There is no way that adding to the dictionary could destabilize the OS...

-t

I wasn't referring to a few hundred words. Let's say that one decided to add entire dictionaries of terminology, specific to different fields, to the user dictionary. Depending on how the dictionary is handled in memory, is it inconceivable that the size it eventually would become affect memory in such a way so as to cause system delays while memory accessed what might have become a huge database of vocabulary? I really didn't mean for it to sound foolish, just searching for a reason (nothing serious). Possibly the user dictionary can efficiently handle an unlimited amount of entries, I'm not quite sure either. Apple must have had a reason for designing it this way though. :)

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its still not going to destabilize the OS. iOS applications keep their data in the solid state RAM Disk just like every other application.

Though a dictionary with a million entries will be slower to access than one with 100k entries, and you will use up more of your "disk" than I will, it will not destabilize the OS.

Why keep a dictionary closed? The same reason you can't organize photos in the Photo App on the iPad. It has not been seen as a priority for Apple developers yet.

It's just that simple.

You can expect dictionary editing and maintenance tools in a future release. There are lots of dictionary enhancement requests in the request tracking system at Apple for iOS. They will get to it when it makes sense for them from a business standpoint - and I suspect you will have import options at that point in time as well if you want to slurp in a dict file filled with technical references, names, etc.

-t

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Its still not going to destabilize the OS. iOS applications keep their data in the solid state RAM Disk just like every other application.

Though a dictionary with a million entries will be slower to access than one with 100k entries, and you will use up more of your "disk" than I will, it will not destabilize the OS.

Why keep a dictionary closed? The same reason you can't organize photos in the Photo App on the iPad. It has not been seen as a priority for Apple developers yet.

It's just that simple.

You can expect dictionary editing and maintenance tools in a future release. There are lots of dictionary enhancement requests in the request tracking system at Apple for iOS. They will get to it when it makes sense for them from a business standpoint - and I suspect you will have import options at that point in time as well if you want to slurp in a dict file filled with technical references, names, etc.

-t

That sounds reasonable, and I certainly hope that you are right.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts