What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spelling replacement words

Mjclemm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I have a huge issue on this iPad respelling words. For some reason when it replaces a word it removes just 1 letter from the spelling and makes up a word that does not exist, for example my name... It corrects my last name from Clemmer to "Clemm r" ??? That is just a single example. What would cause that? And some words that I use all the time that it recognizes as spelling errors are not, how can I get the iPad to "learn" the words? Thanks a ton guys... Mjc...:thumbs:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will eventually remember the correct spelling however, it has been reported many times that if you add a word to the Contacts app then the iPad will not autocorrect it when you use it in future.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the shortcuts in settings - general - keyboard - shortcuts. Any words you use frequently will be accepted. I have even put my email addresses in there. You just need two letters or more to remember to activate the shortcuts command. It's great. I know of people who have 200 activated.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I this persist, try going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary. Otherwise, Try a reset. Close all apps then - Hold down the HOME, bottom button, and the SLEEP, top button, for about 10 seconds until the Apple icon appears, then release buttons. Allow it to reboot, it may take a few minutes, don't panic like I did, wait for it to reboot. Cures many weird problems on iOS devices.

OP
M

Mjclemm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I use the shortcuts in settings - general - keyboard - shortcuts. Any words you use frequently will be accepted. I have even put my email addresses in there. You just need two letters or more to remember to activate the shortcuts command. It's great. I know of people who have 200 activated.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

I
L have to give this a shot as well, sounds great.. Thanks Mjc...

OP
M

Mjclemm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
It will eventually remember the correct spelling however, it has been reported many times that if you add a word to the Contacts app then the iPad will not autocorrect it when you use it in future.

The Archangel[/QUOT]
Where do you add words to the contacts app? To do this.... Hmmmm thanks Mjc...

Like my Mjc, it shows it's spelled wrong and tries to replace it, adding it to the contact apps will prevent this? Ty... Mjc

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just open your Contacts App and make a new contact......it should work just fine (not that I've ever done it though!).

The Archangel

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe you could create a keyboard shortcut for whatever you're trying to spell regularly.

Most reactions

Latest posts