What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you add words to the spell checker?

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want the spell check to auto fill my email address and login names how can I add words to the spell checker?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some time ago a Forum member posted a very neat work around. There's no direct way of adding words to the user dictionary but, he noted, that the iPad doesn't flag spelling errors for entries in the Contacts list. Therefore, he suggested - and it works - if you want to avoid special words being flagged as spelling mistakes, perhaps technical or business terms - just enter them as contacts in the Contacts list. It works perfectly....

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow! I forgot that one. It was mentioned on line because some people " shock horror". Swear and they did that to overcome the words. I don't swear much so I just forgot but brilliant of you Tim, to remember that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I want the spell check to auto fill my email address and login names how can I add words to the spell checker?

You also mentioned auto-fill, so you should know that you can turn auto-fill on in Settings >> Safari. It will use info from whatever contact you point it at. Separately, you can turn on Names and Passwords, so that it will remember and fill out login information for a site.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some time ago a Forum member posted a very neat work around. There's no direct way of adding words to the user dictionary but, he noted, that the iPad doesn't flag spelling errors for entries in the Contacts list. Therefore, he suggested - and it works - if you want to avoid special words being flagged as spelling mistakes, perhaps technical or business terms - just enter them as contacts in the Contacts list. It works perfectly....

Tim

That's a great tip! I put "hell" into the first name data field in contacts but, for some reason I couldn't get it to work. It corrected itself to "he'll" regardless, even after a reboot. Does it need to be entered in a specific way?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still have a problem with hell and he'll . It's because I use both words, I think, and it defaults automatically to he'll.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have a problem with hell and he'll . It's because I use both words, I think, and it defaults automatically to he'll.

Have you got both words in your Contacts list? If you have, it shouldn't correct either.

Tim

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've put in the two words as two separate contacts. When I type in a note it still autocorrects. It's too bad because for me that would be a great time saver. :-(

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to start using hades instead of hell

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope, if you've noticed I've started using the word "heck" instead! Saves the constant backspace every time I write "hell"!

utlavadude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've found that if you create a single contact the the name of Words or whatever and enter all your words into the Notes field, it will still work and not have hundreds of word contacts in your contact list. It still doesn't help the Hell or he'll problem.

In regards to the hell / he'll problem, if you type "he" then backspace once then type "ell", it won't autocorrect it. That's the best work around I've been able to find when I know it's going to autocorrect the word incorrectly ;)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I think where two words are in constant use, we are going to have this problem. We could do with a command to ignore spellchecker with certain words but hey, I can dream.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts