What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pages and Notes Dictionary

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I add words to the iPad dictionary so that they are not flagged as a spelling error? For example, I want to use the Latin word "cogitans" in an article I am writing, so I do not want the spell checker to flag it. In a similar way, I want to use English English spelling, for example, "colour" not "color" but I don't seem able to tell the spell checker to use English English.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't believe that there's a way to manually enter words into the "dictionary". However, if you use the words enough, it should "learn" the words, and not flag them. Some people report a "cheat" of putting the words in Contacts, so it treats them as names (I haven't tried that yet as mine seems to have learned all my slang now).

OP
Moray

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Moray said:
How can I add words to the iPad dictionary so that they are not flagged as a spelling error? For example, I want to use the Latin word "cogitans" in an article I am writing, so I do not want the spell checker to flag it. In a similar way, I want to use English English spelling, for example, "colour" not "color" but I don't seem able to tell the spell checker to use English English.

I have now found how to add new words to the dictionary, thanks to a post in "iPad Academy". You go to Settings, and then to ,General, , and then to Keyboard. Then use the Add New Entry to the dictionary. Enter the word into the Phrase column, but do not add any definition.

From now on the system will recognise the word in the Phrase column of the dictionary as a legitimate word, but will not add anything since there is no Definition.

This seems to,work well. So Thanks to the person who submitted the idea to IPad Academy

OP
Moray

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Moray said:

Thanks to "iPad Academy" and a post therein, I have found how to,do,this.

Open Settings
Go to General
Go to Keyboard
Got to Add New Shortcut
Put the word you want to add to the dictionary into Phrase
Put nothing into the Definition
Exit

From now on the dictionary will recognise your word but will not substitute anything for it.

OP
Moray

Moray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry I have twice made a mistake in my post

When you want to enter a new word into the dictionary, put it into the New Shortcut, and put nothing into Phrase.

Normally a shortcut expands into the phrase, but if the phrase is empty, it just accepts the word as a shortcut and leaves it alone.

My apologies to everyone for being so careless in writing my posts.

dionbl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@MORAY mentioned in the first thread wanting to use English-English and the word COLOUR not COLOR. This is possible by going Settings/General/International/Language (scrolling to bottom [non-alphabetical order] and selecting BRITISH-ENGLISH]

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts