What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did IPF start?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was one of those who ordered on day one. Like some others, I did not hesitate because it was what I was expecting apple to come out with. I tried several forums before landing here. The only problem is that any forum based on a product like this, is prone to repetition and flaming.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What a great thread for knowledge gathering and filling my geeky need to know hat. Did I read correctly earlier, you are all volunteers ? No pay ? Really ????

If so, what drives you all ? Are you all ex-lottery winners ? Are you all venture capitalists ? Are you all mad epidemiological scientists ? Are you all ALIENS ????

I need to know!!!!

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From which country is iPF hosted ? If it is not the UK then should UK injunctions apply ? Maybe to UK members you could say, but what about international members ? I think the international press is exempt from the rules of specific country injunctions (not a lawyer so I may be wrong). Please feel free to enlighten me.

This is just a query. Not in anyway to question anyone's authority. Just maybe some banter on how a forum works and maybe some guidance on the international regulation on forum sites such as iPF. Should there be or is there already some guidance in place when international forums such as iPF are set up ?

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a private forum regardless if you live in Antarctic , Russia, England or where ever Our rules apply period. The forum is hosted from USA.

If you have any further questions relevant to the above I suggest you contact Admin.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
It is a private forum regardless if you live in Antarctic , Russia, England or where ever Our rules apply period. The forum is hosted from USA.

If you have any further questions relevant to the above I suggest you contact Admin.

I understand the rules of thie forum. What I was pertaining to was the fact that if I did not know about something say for example in Antarctica and made and inadvertently censored yet innocent comment on a forum, any forum (whist sitting in England), could I be sued or have legal action taken against me from there given that forums cross international boundaries.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

col.bris said:

I understand the rules of thie forum. What I was pertaining to was the fact that if I did not know about something say for example in Antarctica and made and inadvertently censored yet innocent comment on a forum, any forum (whist sitting in England), could I be sued or have legal action taken against me from there given that forums cross international boundaries.

Did you not see Colin's post above? And yet you continue.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
International law is a complicated mess, and I doubt any forum moderator is going to be an expert on it. The forum owners might know something, since they would be the ones to set overall policy, but even they could not predict every possible scenario.

Here is the Wikipedia article on Defamation, it has a section about international laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation#Internationally

Short of consulting a lawyer, or spending considerable time in research on the specific countries involved, I doubt you're going to find good answers. An since law is always being challenged and changed, especially international law, you could end up being sued anyway.

In the end, it is simply best not to go around bad mouthing people without proof. You can't be sued for what you don't say.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
International law is a complicated mess, and I doubt any forum moderator is going to be an expert on it. The forum owners might know something, since they would be the ones to set overall policy, but even they could not predict every possible scenario.

Here is the Wikipedia article on Defamation, it has a section about international laws. Short of consulting a lawyer, or spending considerable time in research on the specific countries involved, I doubt you're going to find good answers. An since law is always being challenged and changed, especially international law, you could end up being sued anyway.

In the end, it is simply best not to go around bad mouthing people without proof. You can't be sued for what you don't say.

Thanks. That's quite informative. I have sent a PM to JohnnyApple, didn't know these hierarchies existed in forums. You learn something new everyday.

The administrators must be quite clever then to circumnavigate such treacherous legal waters. I mean if someone wrote something defamatory on a forum page and it was missed by the moderators and the administrators before wide distribution of such comments, then who is responsible ? The idiot who posted, the moderators who missed it or the administrators who created the site ? Complicated I feel. I mean when newspapers print something defamatory, no-one ever sues the financially poor "informed" source, they always go after the paper, I have never heard of a paper counter-sueing the original source.

Anyway, just wanted to hear people's thoughts.

Let's see what JohnnyApple has to say.

By the way Twerppoet...I still can't change my avatar despite downsizing the pic I want to use to the size of a stamp....help.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you are on the Edit avatar page it specifies the file type, size and dimension limitations of the avatar picture. Before you try to upload the file make sure it complies.

On a Mac you right click on the file and choose Get Info. In Windows you do the same, but choose something else. I can't remember what exactly (but you should be able to figure it out). My netbook is buried under several layers of debris at the moment.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
When you are on the Edit avatar page it specifies the file type, size and dimension limitations of the avatar picture. Before you try to upload the file make sure it complies.

On a Mac you right click on the file and choose Get Info. In Windows you do the same, but choose something else. I can't remember what exactly (but you should be able to figure it out). My netbook is buried under several layers of debris at the moment.

It fits all the dimensions and file size specs yet still fails to upload. Don't know what the issue is.

Most reactions

Latest posts