What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with issh

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me learn how to use issh. I want to ssh into my laptop from home or away but not sure how to set it up. I know the ip of the laptop but when I set it up it doesnt work, is there any ports I need to open? Any settings I have to change on windows 7 to allow ssh? I want to be able to for instance to open up iTunes just using the command line. I'm quite tech savy so sort of know what I'm doing (studying computer forensics at Uni) so it must be something I'm not doing right! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Lagranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me learn how to use issh. I want to ssh into my laptop from home or away but not sure how to set it up. I know the ip of the laptop but when I set it up it doesnt work, is there any ports I need to open? Any settings I have to change on windows 7 to allow ssh? I want to be able to for instance to open up iTunes just using the command line. I'm quite tech savy so sort of know what I'm doing (studying computer forensics at Uni) so it must be something I'm not doing right! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Are you specifically trying to use the SSH protocol or just remote access your Win7 laptop?

The reason I ask is that Windows does not natively come with any SSH support at all. SSH tends to be a remote access method more specific to Unix/Linux systems. In order to access a Windows box via SSH, you'll have to install your own SSH server (e.g., cygwin+openssh or some other package), then do the usual things like configure your firewall/router to forward your incoming SSH connection (TCP port 22 by default) from your external IP to your laptop.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for a way to remote access your Windows laptop, I'd suggest one of the RDC/RDP solutions instead since this capability is available natively in most later versions of Windows. There are dozens of RDC client apps out there for iOS. (And confusingly, the iSSH app itself will do raw RDP, but at point the SSH capabilities of the app aren't involved in any way). The same comments for firewall/router configuration as above apply, except that RDC tends to use port TCP 3389.

As a final suggestion, if you're looking for a really simple way to remote access your system without having to configure router port forwarding (and possibly a way to track a dynamically changing external IP), you might look at one of the solutions such as LogMeIn, TeamViewer, etc. These types of remote control apps work by having both your host system and your iPad rendezvous via an external server, eliminating (in most cases) the need to do any special firewall configuration or port forwarding since both sides are creating outbound connections.

Hope this helps.

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your suggestions, I already have logmein, splashtop, etc for RDP and VNC, I was specifically looking to get SSH working. I have downloaded and installed openSSH but can't see how to create a paswrd file, there's a paswrd.exe but it doesn't seem to do anything, that's what i'm currently stuck on. If there is a client that is easier to use then I'm welcome to suggestions.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AFAIK, OpenSSH on the jail broken iPad is just to get into the iPad - it's not for trying to get into another device, such as a computer.

Just wanted to save you time in trying to go that route - all the rest of the stuff you are talking about is pretty much w-a-y over my head... :D

Marilyn

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
AFAIK, OpenSSH on the jail broken iPad is just to get into the iPad - it's not for trying to get into another device, such as a computer.

Just wanted to save you time in trying to go that route - all the rest of the stuff you are talking about is pretty much w-a-y over my head... :D

Marilyn

There's a version for windows that's also called openSSH but thanks for the heads up!

Most reactions