What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with iPad Air with prior ipad3 settings

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off using Windows 7 and the ipad 3 is a Verizon version.

I am looking to buy the new Air and wonder how to prepare my iTunes on the PC - other than do a last update with the
Ipad 3.

For example, after the last update change the name of the iPad 3 with say " - old " at the end.
Then attach the new Air and rename it using the same name as the 3 but without of course the "- old" ?

Eventually I will gift the iPad3 to my wife, so on that one will need to wipe it out - then do the same changes to her "new" ipad 3, as she currently as the first iPad.

Hope that all made sense.

Thx

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - that link should be helpful so cant wait to give it a try.

But how/when do I rename the old pad? Guessing after I go thru the restore process?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't understand why you intend to rename the device to ...old. Sorry! Is it because you want to gift it to your wife?

The name of the iPad can be changed in Settings - General - About - Name.

Last edited:
OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, my old ipad 3 will be my wife's (and she has her own PC) with the ipad Air mine.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you erase all content and settings on your iPad and she transfers her information to it with her own computer, it need not be renamed. The iPad 3 will have her device's name as soon as she restores from a backup. It will be the same with your future iPad: when you use your backup to set it up, it will have the name of your former iPad 3.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, my old ipad 3 will be my wife's (and she has her own PC) with the ipad Air mine.

When you erase all content and settings on your iPad and she transfers her information to it with her own computer, it need not be renamed. The iPad 3 will have her device's name as soon as she restores from a backup. It will be the same with your future iPad: when you use your backup to set it up, it will have the name of your former iPad 3.

Well, this is getting rather confusing and I'm sure others making this transition have a similar feeling, i.e. when restoring a 'new' iPad from an older device, what is the 'name' of the new iPad - the same as the old or is it given a 'new' name before the restoration - both iPads cannot have the same name - right? Plus, if you rename the old iPad, can the current apps be updated on an Apple account? Finally, if different computers are used and the old iPad is renamed, then what is the status of the apps on the old account, especially if the two individuals involved have different Apple IDs? Hopefully, a clearer set of explanations can be offered - thanks. Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you transfer information (like the iPad's name) to a device, using a backup, the iDevice's name will be the one from the backup.

So: his wife will transfer her information from her PC to the iPad 3, and with doing so, the iPad will afterwards have her chosen name. The old name (his) will be erased.
He will transfer his settings and data via his computer to the new iPad Air, which will then use the name of the (old) iPad 3 - the name he has given it before erasing.

The name of a device has nothing to do with the apps. As long as you use the same Apple ID, you can change the name of an iDevice as often as you like, and to whatever you like.

I assume that there are two different Apple IDs involved. This means: with erasing everything from iPad 3, also apps purchased with that Apple ID will be erased and don't have to be updated any more. With setting it up with a different Apple ID, only the apps from that one will be available.

(I hope this explanation isn't too confusing.)

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I assume the same with installing a backup from icloud. We are getting ready to transfer from an ipad one backup to an ipad 3 and i am getting the ipad Air Monday and will install my backup from Icloud (Ipad 3) to it. When I got the ipad 3 I just reverted to manufacturer state and installed the apps (all music, like Rhapsody, Pandora, TuneIn) and use it with BT speakers or Soundbar on TV with Apple TV.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is the same.
You go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase all content and settings.
After erasing, the device can be set up with an iCloud backup and a new Apple ID, and nothing will be left from the previous owner.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To add to (and highlight) what J. A. said:

Whenever you restore an iPad from a backup (any iPad backup), that iPad will take on the name of the backup. Always.

However, once that restore has finished you can change the name of any iPad via iTunes (double-click on the name and then type what you wish).

Or, go to the General tab of your Settings app, press the "About" line and then press the top line (it will be showing the current name of the iPad). Once you press that line, the keyboard will pop up so you can name the iPad.

Do note you can change the iPad's name at any time, not just after restoring it from a backup. Makes it easier to keep track of which iPad you are working with...

Marilyn

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marilyn--or anyone. I wiped and set up my ipad One for music only (turned off icloud) and didn't even think about this but one of the tutes on transferring that i read said after backup of the old Ipad it should be turned off and not used again because it would interfere with your icloud account.--and then start the restore of new Ipad with your backup. I wasn't going to reset the ipad 3 until after I restored the Ipad Air, then reset it and restore it from my husband's Ipad One backup. Is there anything wrong with that sequence? I don't see how opening the ipad 3 after restoring the Air from the 3's backup just to reset could do anything to my Icloud account since it only backs up when powered on and turned off.

I think I'm a bit skittish to wipe the Ipad 3 before I'm sure the new Air is restored correctly LOL. Call me silly paranoid LOLOL.

Diane

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree and its the page i followed before when transferring but I saw this on the wcctech site: "Turn off your old iPad and turn on your iPad Air. Again, it’s important to not use your old iPad again as it will cause conflicts with the backups in iCloud. Also consider to unregister or unlink your old iPad from Apple’s website by visiting your profile page". I don't see where the conflict would occur in just resetting the Ipad 3 to allow for restoring from my husband's Ipad One. I'll just ignore <grin>

I did unregister some old devices on my Apple profile page and added a second Apple TV but i don't see any reason to deregister the Ipad 3 since its staying in the family and not being sold. I'm not deregistering the two old Ipad ones either since one is used to stream music and the other will be used for an ATV remote.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iCloud should notice that it's a different device afterwards. There shouldn't be any problem. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible that users can have a few devices with one iCloud account. Rename one of your devices so that you know which backup belongs to which iPad. iCloud creates a different backup of each one:

image-972460173.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts