What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make iPad Air & iPad 3 Look Identical

EssexLady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.....I'm new here, and have searched for my question, so I hope I'm not asking something that's already been dealt with.
I have an iPad 3 and just got the iPad Air.
They each have different names, 3 = ~ I'm Watching You ~ Air = ~ CatLady ~
iTunes recognises their different names perfectly.
When I set up the Air, I restored it from an iPad 3 back up, so BOTH looked identical.
I don't have an issue with songs.....I need help regarding APPS, please.

Recently I spent a good hour re shuffling the apps on the Air...deleting some, moving some etc etc..
Now happy with my new look on the Air.....I'm wondering how to get the iPad 3 to look IDENTICAL again ?
{maybe I just need to back up Air and restore iPad 3 ?}
For me to change iPad 3 manually / physically will take ages, and due to my disabilities I suffer with chronic pain in my hands.
I'm sure the answer is very simple,
but I'd rather check here before I go ahead and possibly mess things up.
I need to know how to do this for the future as and when I re shuffle my apps again.

Thank you in advance to anyone offering help and advice

:)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi.....I'm new here, and have searched for my question, so I hope I'm not asking something that's already been dealt with.
I have an iPad 3 and just got the iPad Air.
They each have different names, 3 = ~ I'm Watching You ~ Air = ~ CatLady ~
iTunes recognises their different names perfectly.
When I set up the Air, I restored it from an iPad 3 back up, so BOTH looked identical.
I don't have an issue with songs.....I need help regarding APPS, please.

Recently I spent a good hour re shuffling the apps on the Air...deleting some, moving some etc etc..
Now happy with my new look on the Air.....I'm wondering how to get the iPad 3 to look IDENTICAL again ?
{maybe I just need to back up Air and restore iPad 3 ?}
For me to change iPad 3 manually / physically will take ages, and due to my disabilities I suffer with chronic pain in my hands.
I'm sure the answer is very simple,
but I'd rather check here before I go ahead and possibly mess things up.
I need to know how to do this for the future as and when I re shuffle my apps again.

Thank you in advance to anyone offering help and advice

:)

I think what you are suggesting will work just fine. Just make sure all your data is backed up on the iPad 3. There may be a way to do the same thing in iTunes too, but I don't use it enough to be sure. I would do the "backup Air restore to iPad 3" approach you mentioned just making sure I have a good back up of the iPad 3 before starting.

OP
EssexLady

EssexLady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think what you are suggesting will work just fine. Just make sure all your data is backed up on the iPad 3. There may be a way to do the same thing in iTunes too, but I don't use it enough to be sure. I would do the "backup Air restore to iPad 3" approach you mentioned just making sure I have a good back up of the iPad 3 before starting.

Thanks AQ_OC....it did work, however I still wonder if it is possible to make the ipads identical without doing a FULL back up and restore ?
When I have the two iPads linked to iTunes....I wondered if there might be some quick way of syncing apps ?
Or even better....As both iPads are continually linked to my Wi Fi.... couldn't they sync that way ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks AQ_OC....it did work, however I still wonder if it is possible to make the ipads identical without doing a FULL back up and restore ?
When I have the two iPads linked to iTunes....I wondered if there might be some quick way of syncing apps ?
Or even better....As both iPads are continually linked to my Wi Fi.... couldn't they sync that way ?

Unfortunately, no, the only way to make the iPads identical is to do the backup on one and then restore that backup on the other.

However, once you've done this backup/restore to get them identical, you can set the iPads up so that any music, books or apps you download on one iPad gets downloaded to the other. You may have to move the apps around to get them in the same place on the iPad, but at least they'll be on the iPads.

To do this, go to your Settings app (the gray gear icon one). Then, scroll down the left side until you come to the line titled "iTunes & App Store;†press it. On the right, scroll until you see a block titled "Automatic Downloads." You'll see you have the option to turn on automatic downloads for music, apps, books (and updates).

Do this on both iPads.

If you turn all these ON (the green shows), then what gets downloaded to one iPad is downloaded to the other at the same time.

Hope this helps ... a bit.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts