What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring ALL data and apps from an iPad Air running iOS 12.5.5 to a 2022 iPad Air

CrackerKen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has a 1st gen iPad Air which is running iOS v 12.5.5. We are running into issues where v 13 or greater is required. Some apps won't run. So, I'm going to buy a 2022 model iPad Air. I'm also planning on upgrading to a new iPad Mini from the older one I use.

My wife is fearful of changing from the older iPad to a new one because she plays a lot of games on her old one (some of which she has progressed to very high levels of play) and is afraid that the level of play won't be available if she switches. She had the games hooked up to a Facebook account, but I got tossed from Facebook and the account disabled (deleted). She tried to hook up her games to her new Facebook account, but it tried to put her back on level 1 of the game.

QUESTION: Is there a method or app (or whatever) that will allow me to SAFELY transfer ALL apps, games (NOT losing the previously attained levels of play) from the older iPad Air over to the new one?

Any assist or direction to appropriate sources will be appreciated. Thanks much!

Don El

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have an iPad Air with iOS 12.5.5 - and being unable to update any apps or purchase any new ones, or purchase new books, etc.
I talked today to Apple Support about that iPad Air at 1-800-275-2273 - surprisingly it is **free**, responsive (only a few minutes wait), polite, respectful, considerate, helpful!!

OP
CrackerKen

CrackerKen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have an iPad Air with iOS 12.5.5 - and being unable to update any apps or purchase any new ones, or purchase new books, etc.
I talked today to Apple Support about that iPad Air at 1-800-275-2273 - surprisingly it is **free**, responsive (only a few minutes wait), polite, respectful, considerate, helpful!!
Were they able to solve the problems for you? I think I may give that a try.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is really only one way to transfer everything to a new iPad, with hopefully no loss. That is to backup your old iPad, and restore from that backup when initializing the new one. It works well with files, as long as the app still exisits on the App Store. So check that out.

However, game developers save game levels in various ways. Some on servers, some on local files that are backed up, and some in ways that can not be saved and restored. In short, it's a gamble. There is no way to guarantee that a game will retain its progress level.

What you can do is identify each 'important' game, and see if you can get info on it. Contact the game community (if it has one), the developer website (if there is one), or in the case of Facebook games, their support site.

What you can do to improve you're chances is make sure backup is turned on for that game in backup setting. Its not a guarantee, but it improves your odds. If there is no backup option for the game app, then unless the levels are saved on the game's server you are pretty much guaranteed to lose the levels when migrating to a new iPad.

OP
CrackerKen

CrackerKen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is really only one way to transfer everything to a new iPad, with hopefully no loss. That is to backup your old iPad, and restore from that backup when initializing the new one. It works well with files, as long as the app still exisits on the App Store. So check that out.

However, game developers save game levels in various ways. Some on servers, some on local files that are backed up, and some in ways that can not be saved and restored. In short, it's a gamble. There is no way to guarantee that a game will retain its progress level.

What you can do is identify each 'important' game, and see if you can get info on it. Contact the game community (if it has one), the developer website (if there is one), or in the case of Facebook games, their support site.

What you can do to improve you're chances is make sure backup is turned on for that game in backup setting. Its not a guarantee, but it improves your odds. If there is no backup option for the game app, then unless the levels are saved on the game's server you are pretty much guaranteed to lose the levels when migrating to a new iPad.
Thanks a lot. I will start by working on the backups for everything, and the contacts you mentioned.

Most reactions