What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer PROGRAMS from iPad 4 to ipad Air

deanstruck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My granddaughter's school requires use of an iPad. She got an iPad 4,32Gb last year. She ran out of capacity soon. I just got her an iPad Air 128GB and we need to transfer EVERYTHING from the old to the new. I know how to transfer the files on iTunes, my question is how to transfer the PROGRAMS. There are 3 or 4 that she had to download from the school.

Is there such a thing as duplicating everything on the new iPad that was on the old one, all programs included?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My granddaughter's school requires use of an iPad. She got an iPad 4,32Gb last year. She ran out of capacity soon. I just got her an iPad Air 128GB and we need to transfer EVERYTHING from the old to the new. I know how to transfer the files on iTunes, my question is how to transfer the PROGRAMS. There are 3 or 4 that she had to download from the school.

Is there such a thing as duplicating everything on the new iPad that was on the old one, all programs included?
Have her back up her iPad 4 to iTunes. has the new iPad Air been set up yet? If not connect it to iTunes and go through the activation process. When prompted, set it up from the back up of the iPad 4 that was made. The iPad Air will now have everything on it that was on the old iPad 4.

If the iPad Air has already been activated, connect it to iTunes and restore it. It will be restored to factory condition. Then proceed through the activation process described in the last paragraph.

OP
D

deanstruck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply. I wasn't sure this process would also copy the programs that are on the iPad 4. I knew it would copy the apps and files.
We will give it a go, and thanks again.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are these programs in an app installed on the iPad? Because of the way iOS works you cannot install programs on the iPad in the same way you install programs on a computer, they have to be downloaded to a compatible app and, with few exceptions, cannot be accessed by the other apps on the iPad.

OP
D

deanstruck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure how to answer that question. These are programs the school required and were downloaded from a site the school directed us to. I may have to ask the school this question.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure how to answer that question. These are programs the school required and were downloaded from a site the school directed us to. I may have to ask the school this question.
If the programs are part of an app, they should be included in any backup you make and would then be included on any iPad restored and set up with that backup. In a worst case scenario, they could presumably be re downloaded from the same site as before.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Discuss this with your school IT person. Depending on how the school provisioned the apps on her iPad they may or may not be saved and restored through a normal backup.

Schools have several options for supplying apps to students. Some methods make the app permanently the student's. Some involve licenses either by student or by iPad, and the school may have to make changes to their software for the apps to be added to the new iPad.

CrackerKen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have her back up her iPad 4 to iTunes. has the new iPad Air been set up yet? If not connect it to iTunes and go through the activation process. When prompted, set it up from the back up of the iPad 4 that was made. The iPad Air will now have everything on it that was on the old iPad 4.

If the iPad Air has already been activated, connect it to iTunes and restore it. It will be restored to factory condition. Then proceed through the activation process described in the last paragraph.
My iPad Mini backs up to the iCloud. I looked, and cannot find out how to backup to iTunes.

Can you give me any guidance on doing a total backup so I can initialize everything to a new iPad?

I want to be sure that ALL of the apps, including games and their current data (like levels of play) are backed up so I can restore it all to the new one.

Thanks much.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To back up to iTunes you need to have installed the latest version of iTunes on a PC. If you then connect your iPad to the PC, you should see it with the backup options available. If you have a Mac you would follow a similar procedure via Finder.

Most reactions

Latest posts