What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP: messed up Cydia, iPad 2

andwan0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad 2 3G, Version 4.3.3 (8J2), Carrier 10.0, Modem Firmware 04.10.01

Upon purchase I immediately jail broke it via jailbreakme.com website and it installs Cydia. I installed some extra programs via Cydia (Python, unix core utils, ssh, sed, grep, etc.)

Then I decided to free up some space and "removed" programs via Cydia, starting from apt-get, whilst ignoring the warning message.

Now Cydia has disappeared. Was apt-get part of original iPad OS itself? I would like to clean reinstall cydia.

I tried jailbreakme website but it says it cannot jailbreak (coz it's already jail broken) I tried manually installing apt-get.deb / curl.deb / cydia.deb (via /private/var/stash ) but I just get errors. So am wondering how to clean install cydia again.. or should I restore the iOS 4.3.3? If I do restore 4.3.3, will I lose my 04.10.01 baseband?

Last edited:

TInk2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
andwan0 said:
I have iPad 2 WiFi, Version 4.3.3 (8J2), Carrier 10.0, Modem Firmware 04.10.01

Upon purchase I immediately jail broke it via jailbreakme.com website and it installs Cydia. I installed some extra programs via Cydia (Python, unix core utils, ssh, sed, grep, etc.)

Then I decided to free up some space and "removed" programs via Cydia, starting from apt-get, whilst ignoring the warning message.

Now Cydia has disappeared. Was apt-get part of original iPad OS itself? I would like to clean reinstall cydia.

I tried jailbreakme website but it says it cannot jailbreak (coz it's already jail broken) I tried manually installing apt-get.deb / curl.deb / cydia.deb (via /private/var/stash ) but I just get errors. So am wondering how to clean install cydia again.. or should I restore the iOS 4.3.3? If I do restore 4.3.3, will I lose my 04.10.01 baseband?

I can't jailbreak either:(

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a bit about your post that does not make sense. You CANNOT have a Wifi version if you have a baseband. That tells me you have a WiFi + 3G version. There is a BIG difference. "Losing" the baseband on an iPad2 is irrelevant - Why are you concerned about it?

Now for the preachy bit :) You really shouldn't mess around with the OS, removing stuff that you don't understand or you just think you understand. Why you would think that removing apt-get when Cydia is an apt-get front end is beyond me. Did you really think it was going to release any meaningful amounts of storage back to you? It would be measured in the 10's of K at the most... Hopefully you have learned that you ignore serious warnings not to do things at your peril... /preach over.

If you've tried manually installing the debs and that doesn't work, then I don't know what to suggest. Since you have a 3G version, you are going to need to use the latest redsn0w or TinyCFW to create a custom firmware using saved SHSH Blobs for 4.3.3 to allow you to restore it. We have a tutorial in this section on TinyCFW.

Restore to 4.3.3 and re-jailbreak (and then leave the OS ALONE!) would be my advice. :)

If you don't have saved 4.3.3 SHSH Blobs you are totally out of luck and you will have to just experiment with what you have until you find a way to get stuff back on there / or enough stuff off there so that jailbreakme.com will allow you to re-jailbreak. Personally, I have never looked into what is required to do that, since I would usually choose the restore route and use my backups. The final "nuclear" option is restore to 5.0.1 and wait patiently for a jailbreak to be released.

Good luck.

OP
A

andwan0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your speedy reply. Yes, you are right, it is 3G iPad. So you're saying I can restore to original 4.3.3... and it might update my baseband but that's unimportant (compared to iPhone 4s)... and I can still use jailbreakme website?

Also, how does one save/backup their SHSH blobs? I tried TinyUmbrella but it couldn't detect my iPad?

Also I notice there's 2 versions for 3G? GSM and CDMA/Verizon??? Which one is for UK? I assume it's GSM (after googling).

All I just wanted to do was uninstall the stuff I installed via Cydia... but I couldn't remember what programs I installed so I thought to uninstall everything. (Note to self, remember the original installed packages from vanilla Cydia & vanilla iPad).

I tried 4.3.3 restore and it didn't work... (error)... but now I ran TinyUmbrella TSS server and the restore allowed to proceed further... but then after 10 minutes it says unknown error 1604. :(

There is a bit about your post that does not make sense. You CANNOT have a Wifi version if you have a baseband. That tells me you have a WiFi + 3G version. There is a BIG difference. "Losing" the baseband on an iPad2 is irrelevant - Why are you concerned about it?

Now for the preachy bit :) You really shouldn't mess around with the OS, removing stuff that you don't understand or you just think you understand. Why you would think that removing apt-get when Cydia is an apt-get front end is beyond me. Did you really think it was going to release any meaningful amounts of storage back to you? It would be measured in the 10's of K at the most... Hopefully you have learned that you ignore serious warnings not to do things at your peril... /preach over.

If you've tried manually installing the debs and that doesn't work, then I don't know what to suggest. Since you have a 3G version, you are going to need to use the latest redsn0w or TinyCFW to create a custom firmware using saved SHSH Blobs for 4.3.3 to allow you to restore it. We have a tutorial in this section on TinyCFW.

Restore to 4.3.3 and re-jailbreak (and then leave the OS ALONE!) would be my advice. :)

If you don't have saved 4.3.3 SHSH Blobs you are totally out of luck and you will have to just experiment with what you have until you find a way to get stuff back on there / or enough stuff off there so that jailbreakme.com will allow you to re-jailbreak. Personally, I have never looked into what is required to do that, since I would usually choose the restore route and use my backups. The final "nuclear" option is restore to 5.0.1 and wait patiently for a jailbreak to be released.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
A

andwan0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too late now. I decided to do a blind restore using iTunes to 5.0.1. But not even that helped! I keep on getting "The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21)."

My iPad2 is fubared. Throw away in trash.

:~~~-( long live PC

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Restoring a jailbroken iPad is not as simple as just pressing the restore button. You invariably have to use DFU mode, so don't throw it away just yet :)

Follow all the steps in this guide and you will get it back up and running on stock 5.0.1 in a short while - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

The one step you probably need to concentrate on is DFU mode, but if you follow all the steps you should be fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts