What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have a saying from your country?

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Last night on Skype, Colin told Max and I that it was "pissing down rain here"

Love it ~

An Aussie saying and I am stealin it.:D I can't think of an American saying at the moment!

Do you have one? Don't forget to tell us what it mean ~~ ya know. For the ones in Cali.:D

My editor actually made me cut a local bit of slang that I had a character say: I'm so hungry that my stomach thinks my throat has been cut.
She simply could not grasp what it meant and so I had to rewrite the line to clarify.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok ok just a few from land of OZ

Ankle biter Small Child
Arvo Afternoon, "I'll be there this arvo."
Agro Aggravated, angry
Mackers McDonald's
Woop Woop A long way from civilisation
Dag Amusingly uncoordinated, "he's such a dag"
Happy as Larry Very happy
No worries No problem at all
Back of beyond Way away from civilisation
Yes and pissing down rain. means raining hard It is a natural thing for me to say here as in Qld we are in sub tropics and it really rains non stop.... When I said that to sweet poison and max last weekend thet cracked up laughing fell of the fence as we say ... Lol

Oh one more
owmuchisit. One word said fast when buying something try it and you will laugh.

One more Darwin Stubby
Available in a six pack and still available
The 2.25L Darwin Stubby was conceived by Carlton and United Brewery in 1958 to satisfy the hearty appetite of Territory beer drinkers, whose love of the amber fluid could not be confined to 750ml, the largest grog vessel at the time.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok ok just a few from land of OZ

Ankle biter Small Child
Arvo Afternoon, "I'll be there this arvo."
Agro Aggravated, angry
Mackers McDonald's
Woop Woop A long way from civilisation
Dag Amusingly uncoordinated, "he's such a dag"
Happy as Larry Very happy
No worries No problem at all
Back of beyond Way away from civilisation
Yes and pissing down rain. means raining hard It is a natural thing for me to say here as in Qld we are in sub tropics and it really rains non stop.... When I said that to sweet poison and max last weekend thet cracked up laughing fell of the fence as we say ... Lol

Oh one more
owmuchisit. One word said fast when buying something try it and you will laugh.

One more Darwin Stubby
Available in a six pack and still available
The 2.25L Darwin Stubby was conceived by Carlton and United Brewery in 1958 to satisfy the hearty appetite of Territory beer drinkers, whose love of the amber fluid could not be confined to 750ml, the largest grog vessel at the time.

I have heard of these two ~ and I used "pissing down rain" the other day, Colin.:D

The other of your sayings are awesome! I love "owmuchisit" I have said it like 5 times!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Last night on Skype, Colin told Max and I that it was "pissing down rain here"

Love it ~

An Aussie saying and I am stealin it.:D I can't think of an American saying at the moment!

Do you have one? Don't forget to tell us what it mean ~~ ya know. For the ones in Cali.:D

My editor actually made me cut a local bit of slang that I had a character say: I'm so hungry that my stomach thinks my throat has been cut.
She simply could not grasp what it meant and so I had to rewrite the line to clarify.

I can't really grasp it either....it doesn't make sense. Does it?:eek:

Philmart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two phrases that mean the same thing however depends which state in Oztralia you are in

Cutting his lunch

Or

Cutting his grass

Example is where two fellas are out and one is chatting up a girl. If the other moves in and starts making his moves on the girl then that bloke is cutting his mates lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two phrases that mean the same thing however depends which state in Oztralia you are in

Cutting his lunch

Or

Cutting his grass

Example is where two fellas are out and one is chatting up a girl. If the other moves in and starts making his moves on the girl then that bloke is cutting his mates lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oztralia? Too cute! I like those! Thanks for sharing.:)

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Put a sock in it

I'm sure you can guess what it means ;)

Hedgie - Mmm Cali Lewis!

Last edited:

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Por más que el mono se vista de seda, mono se queda."

This little rhyming ditty literally means "a monkey can dress up in silk, but it's still a monkey" and is used in the same context that one would hear a leopard can't change it's spots, or you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy.

You hear this one a lot where I live in Puerto Rico, but I don't think it is unique to here, but common to the Spanish speaking world.

Most reactions

Latest posts