What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have a saying from your country?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last night on Skype, Colin told Max and I that it was "pissing down rain here"

Love it ~

An Aussie saying and I am stealin it.:D I can't think of an American saying at the moment!

Do you have one? Don't forget to tell us what it mean ~~ ya know. For the ones in Cali.:D

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Red sky at night, shepherds delight, red sky in the morning shepherds warning - red sky at night, good day tomorrow - red sky in morning, storm coming

Never cast a clout until May is out - the risk of frost is still about to put out your tender plants

One swallow doesn't make a summer - swallows mean better weather coming

Too many cooks spoil the broth

A bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush - appreciate what you have and not what others have

Let sleeping dogs lie - don't interfere where you are not wanted.

A stitch in time saves nine - mend your clothing before the hole gets bigger

I can't remember any more but my Ouma was full of them, I'm sure some of them have a better meaning, so I'm sure someone will correct me.

Reaction score
Never look a gift horse in the mouth
I can't hear what you say because what you do speaks so loud
Eat the fish, throw away the bone
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me ( Scotty on Star Trek)
The needs of the many sometimes outweigh the needs of the few or the one ( Spock on Star Trek II)
Sometimes the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many ( Kirk on Star TrekIII)
Give a person a fish, feed them for a meal. Teach them to fish ,feed them for a lifetime

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

Griz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An old saying from an old gentleman

I'm not sure that this is what you're looking for but here it is. It's an old Vietnamese proverb I learned as a young man in the late 60's in Southeast Asia. I'm 65 now and will never forget this. An old Vietnamese farmer (speaking french would you believe?) told me this old proverb. It translates roughly into English as....... "may the weight of ten thousand fortunes fall on your head." I thought that it was a kind and thoughtful message spoken to me by that old gentleman.

Do you have one? Don't forget to tell us what it mean ~~ ya know. For the ones in Cali.:D

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"We buy 'em books, and they eat the pages."

Don't think I need to 'splain it. If so then the saying applies to you.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In New Jersey, they have a saying, "Anyone found bound and gagged in the trunk of a car, deserves two bullet holes in the head."

Ain't it the truth?

Reaction score
A sacred cow also makes a great burger. Don't piously hold your ideals as above others ideals
If you throw a rock into a pack of dogs the one that yelps is the one you hit. means if someone gets testy over something you said you probably hit a nerve in them with what you said, possibly tied into the next saying.
Can't spot it unless you've got it. Means it's easier to see the flaws in others that have in yourself.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Red sky at night, shepherds delight, red sky in the morning shepherds warning - red sky at night, good day tomorrow - red sky in morning, storm coming

Never cast a clout until May is out - the risk of frost is still about to put out your tender plants

One swallow doesn't make a summer - swallows mean better weather coming

Too many cooks spoil the broth

A bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush - appreciate what you have and not what others have

Let sleeping dogs lie - don't interfere where you are not wanted.

A stitch in time saves nine - mend your clothing before the hole gets bigger

I can't remember any more but my Ouma was full of them, I'm sure some of them have a better meaning, so I'm sure someone will correct me.

These are great! Thanks for sharing, and explaining, Hayley.:) I have only heard of two of these.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this is what you're looking for but here it is. It's an old Vietnamese proverb I learned as a young man in the late 60's in Southeast Asia. I'm 65 now and will never forget this. An old Vietnamese farmer (speaking french would you believe?) told me this old proverb. It translates roughly into English as....... "may the weight of ten thousand fortunes fall on your head." I thought that it was a kind and thoughtful message spoken to me by that old gentleman.

Thanks for sharing that!

Most reactions