What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have a saying from your country?

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
there is a old western saying

a man saddles his own horses & kills his own rattle snakes..

that basically means you have to take care of business yourself and not have someone else do them for you ..

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
few more western saying

never steal from you follow man

never squat with your spurs on

allways take the time to care for the horse before you eat because they are the thing that keeps you alive

never sit down to the table with you guns on

wash you face and hands before sitting down to a stanger table

allways be loyal to your family and friends and the brand you ride for and be ready to defend them with you life if it need

never ride another man horse that about as bad as sleeping with his wife .

do no cuss around women and childern save that for the cows and the horse and the land that breaks you back out on the range

allways say hello the camp at night when comeing into a stangers camp fire ..it polite way of telling someone your walking into there camp and it just like home with way of knocking on a door before entering

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, here's a couple of my favourite Scottish ones for you Marie (to be pronounced in a broad Scottish accent of course)

Lang may yer lum reek (live long and prosper, as Spock would say)
Mony a mickle maks a muckle (a small saving soon grows larger)
Keep the heid (stay calm)
Haud yer wheesht (shut up)
It's a dreich day (cold, wet, and windy outside - most days in Scotland)
Whit's fur ye'll no go by ye (what's meant to be will be)

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, here's a couple of my favourite Scottish ones for you Marie (to be pronounced in a broad Scottish accent of course)

Lang may yer lum reek (live long and prosper, as Spock would say)
Mony a mickle maks a muckle (a small saving soon grows larger)
Keep the heid (stay calm)
Haud yer wheesht (shut up)
It's a dreich day (cold, wet, and windy outside - most days in Scotland)
Whit's fur ye'll no go by ye (what's meant to be will be)

LOVE IT! I can hear your accent in my head, Leigh. Last night we had Colin on Skype from San Francisco and his accent is to die for!

I love accents!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here is one of our sayings which always made me think:

" playing devil's advocate" What do you think is meant by that?

It means to argue against something, even though you agree with it. In a group of people who all basically agree, the devil's advocate brings balance to the subject being discussed and forces people to re-examin their arguments.

I think it originates with theological arguments, where arguing against accepted doctrine might be considered the devil's work, but is needed if you're going to have solid arguments for the 'good' side.

omar tt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Last night on Skype, Colin told Max and I that it was "pissing down rain here"

Love it ~

An Aussie saying and I am stealin it.:D I can't think of an American saying at the moment!

Do you have one? Don't forget to tell us what it mean ~~ ya know. For the ones in Cali.:D

Hoi

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm sure all of these existed in some form before we adopted them in the U.S., but they are certainly popular in Westerns (movies or books). Well, except for the second one. That one is popular at parties, after several beers.

You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. (If you want good results you have to start with good material)

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. (It's a joke, but I always think of it as saying there's always a way to get where you want without going wrong.)

Don't put the cart before the horse. (You've got it all backwards.)

Don't buy a pig in poke. (a poke was a sack. the meaning is don't buy something without looking it over yourself)

The cat's out of the bag. (the secret is out. Related to a pig in a poke, sometimes a cat was in the bag instead of the piglet advertised.)

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is one of our sayings which always made me think:

" playing devil's advocate" What do you think is meant by that?

It means to argue against something, even though you agree with it. In a group of people who all basically agree, the devil's advocate brings balance to the subject being discussed and forces people to re-examin their arguments.

I think it originates with theological arguments, where arguing against accepted doctrine might be considered the devil's work, but is needed if you're going to have solid arguments for the 'good' side.

Thank you! I have always had my own theories on that saying ~ Interesting. Very interesting. Thanks!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure all of these existed in some form before we adopted them in the U.S., but they are certainly popular in Westerns (movies or books). Well, except for the second one. That one is popular at parties, after several beers.

You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. (If you want good results you have to start with good material)

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. (It's a joke, but I always think of it as saying there's always a way to get where you want without going wrong.)

Don't buy a pig in poke. (a poke was a sack. the meaning is don't buy something without looking it over yourself)

I have never heard of these two!

Most reactions

Latest posts