What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HACKING SECTION RULES - please read.

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Welcome to the Hacking Section!

Standard Forum Rules Apply: All of the standard forum rules apply in the Hacking Section. Please ensure you are familiar with them before continuing.

Jailbreaking per-se isn't illegal, as long as all modification is to your own property.
BUT, trying to promote, sell, or share jailbroken firmware or hacked software however is, as its under Apples copyright and patent.

Discussion of pirated or cracked applications and any methods associated with enabling their use, such as posting app or repository names, is forbidden on this forum. This also includes discussion of illegally obtaining media such as music, movies, games, or other copyrighted content.

Piracy is illegal and the staff of iPadForums.net neither condone nor support it in any way. Jailbreaking and hacking IS NOT a licence to steal or pirate software or media.

ROMS for nintendo, playstation and all other emulators are at best a grey area and therefore fall under the same category as piracy on these forums. No discussion on sourcing ROMS for emulators will be tolerated, although discussions about the emulators themselves is acceptable.

Links to upgrades for BETA software, including beta copies of IOS, are also forbidden as is the discussion of obtaining device activation slots on other members Apple Developer accounts.

Discussions, links, and sharing of any of these on the forum will be deleted and the member will receive a warning.
A second warning may lead to an immediate ban.

Happy hacking folks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I helped a member earlier by linking him to article which told him where to put "roms" on his iPhone/iPad for the emulator he was using. He did not ask for roms or tell anyone how he obtained them. I will just assume he obtained them via legal methods. Was I wrong for linking him to said article? I ask because I no longer see the topic.

OP
Max

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Hmmmm. I helped a member earlier by linking him to article which told him where to put "roms" on his iPhone/iPad for the emulator he was using. He did not ask for roms or tell anyone how he obtained them. I will just assume he obtained them via legal methods. Was I wrong for linking him to said article? I ask because I no longer see the topic.

No worries mate! I saw it and it hit me we didnt cover our butts from legal problems by setting rules and guidelines for this section.
There is no legal way to obtain these roms as nintendo etc hasnt released any for the iphone or the ipad.
I deleted it and neither of ya are in any trouble!

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Max, i clearly understand your concern , so it’s better to don’t have hacking section, NO because it will be difficult to talk about this subject without provide link for reply at some post … or publish example

And in the same time i dono why cydia can keep continue to exist and don’t be sued by Apple

Last edited:

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They can't really. Straight from the wiki.
Cydia provides a more user-friendly graphical user interface for some open-source software-installation tools originally developed for Debian (specifically APT, and the dpkg package management system). Cydia's repositories allow the installation of software packages, most of which are available to download at no cost.
The way I interpret this is that Cydia's roots go back to debian, which is a Linux distro, and ofcourse is open-source. Cydia is just a package manager which gets all it's software via repositories, which can be customized by the user. Nothing really illegal about this.

OP
Max

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Max, i clearly understand your concern , so it’s better to don’t have hacking section, NO because it will be difficult to talk about this subject without provide link for reply at some post … or publish example

And in the same time i dono why cidya can keep continue to exist and don’t be sued by Apple

Ok, time to explain the difference between hacking and piracy.
Lets say you buy a brand new car and youre not happy with how it runs for one reason or another, you make some modifications to it! New transmission from a 3rd party vendor, new exhaust etc. Thats all legal and can be compared to hacking.
But when you buy original parts and distribute, (or sell) copies of them, it will fall under patent and copyright infringement and could lead to legal actions if youre caught.
Cydia is a competitive alternative to the appstore (it originally only held free apps) thats installed when you jailbreak (hack) your ipad. In turn, the apps for sale in Cydia these days are original apps. Not stolen or copied elsewhere. There are sources available to install in Cydia which will allow you to download stolen software (falls under piracy which is illegal).

Apple has termed Cydia to fall under DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) but with little success have they been able to shut Saurik down.

Linkreincarnate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.linkreincarnate.com
I have to say that I'll follow the rules but I don't agree with the no roms rule. You're allowing the corporations to bully people out of fair use. Roms are entirely legal provided you own a legitimate copy of the game. All of these websites getting in a huff over roms should research the law.

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to say that I'll follow the rules but I don't agree with the no roms rule. You're allowing the corporations to bully people out of fair use. Roms are entirely legal provided you own a legitimate copy of the game. All of these websites getting in a huff over roms should research the law.

US law doesn't magically take precedence in the rest of the world believe it or not.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I really hate to be a disagreeable putz-nubbin, but why change now?(LOL) I hate that my first post is a rather acrid and disagreeable one.

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about those little chips (or in this case, a software equivalent) for all of those wonderful games we dropped quarter after quarter into at the local arcade. The ROMs are then used with a program like MAME. Correct?

I know a few devotees of the old games and they have hundreds of games on disk. Like Donkey Kong, Pac Man and the like. They do not own the real arcade game because owning hundreds of arcade machines is out of the question due to a lack of real estate and space.

So my answer is this: you are wrong, unless I am missing something. I own lots of IP created by others, as do you and all of us gathered here. Just because we own copies of this and that (ROMs, books, music, etc) we do not have any legal right to post copies on the web. I cant for the life of me find a law that allows you to post copies of copyright protected IP just because you own the original.

And a cursory search reveals hundreds of sites in which you can procure ROMs and emulators. Wanna bet those that are making these images available do not own the game or those that DL them do not own the game?

You claim fair use... do you know what that means? In the world of literature and magazines, fair use is not entire use. You cannot post significant parts of a book or article legally. So I cannot for the life of me figure out if you are confused about the legal definition of the term Fair Use.

Forgive me if I am missing a few fine points and I certainly do not mean disrespect or harm. It is just that so many on the web cite fair use when it clearly does not apply. As a freelance writer, IP and its protection is important.

Bob Maxey

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should've read this thread sooner to get a better understanding. I only mentioned the name of a certain app and recieving a 1st warning for it. I know saying what it does or even where to get it is violating forum rules but the mere mention of the name? Come on man..give me a break...sheeez. Juss saying!

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I should've read this thread sooner to get a better understanding. I only mentioned the name of a certain app and recieving a 1st warning for it. I know saying what it does or even where to get it is violating forum rules but the mere mention of the name? Come on man..give me a break...sheeez. Juss saying!

All it takes is the name, then Google finds it. And . . . we are here as guests so we should obey.

Bob

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

All it takes is the name, then Google finds it. And . . . we are here as guests so we should obey.

Bob

Well said Bob ~

I am bumping this thread for those of us that need to refresh our memory with regards to the Forum Rules in the iPad Hacking section.

Last edited:

Linkreincarnate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.linkreincarnate.com

I really hate to be a disagreeable putz-nubbin, but why change now?(LOL) I hate that my first post is a rather acrid and disagreeable one.

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about those little chips (or in this case, a software equivalent) for all of those wonderful games we dropped quarter after quarter into at the local arcade. The ROMs are then used with a program like MAME. Correct?

I know a few devotees of the old games and they have hundreds of games on disk. Like Donkey Kong, Pac Man and the like. They do not own the real arcade game because owning hundreds of arcade machines is out of the question due to a lack of real estate and space.

So my answer is this: you are wrong, unless I am missing something. I own lots of IP created by others, as do you and all of us gathered here. Just because we own copies of this and that (ROMs, books, music, etc) we do not have any legal right to post copies on the web. I cant for the life of me find a law that allows you to post copies of copyright protected IP just because you own the original.

And a cursory search reveals hundreds of sites in which you can procure ROMs and emulators. Wanna bet those that are making these images available do not own the game or those that DL them do not own the game?

You claim fair use... do you know what that means? In the world of literature and magazines, fair use is not entire use. You cannot post significant parts of a book or article legally. So I cannot for the life of me figure out if you are confused about the legal definition of the term Fair Use.

Forgive me if I am missing a few fine points and I certainly do not mean disrespect or harm. It is just that so many on the web cite fair use when it clearly does not apply. As a freelance writer, IP and its protection is important.

Bob Maxey

A. No one was defending uploading roms to the internet. That is a clever straw man arguement though. I was defending the legality of roms and emulators in general. The original poster went out of their way to state that all roms and emulators are illegal which is false. Some roms may be illegal and no emulators are ever illegal. If they were zophar's domain would have been history lomg ago.
B. As a game developer I understand the need to protect my intelectual property rights, I do not however feel the need to erode fair use laws to bolster my profits.
C. I know exactly what fair use means. Beyond allowing partial use in other works for educational and parody purposes, fair use also creates a legal right to make backup copies of your software, music, and videogames. I said nothing about posting those things on the internet, that is just another straw man arguement. Maybe you should have checked that YOU really knew what fair use is before posting. Had you even considered that all of those people on the internet crying fair use were right? How did you think it was legal to rip a cd onto your computer?

anyway dont break anything getting off your high horse...

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

A. No one was defending uploading roms to the internet. That is a clever straw man arguement though. I was defending the legality of roms and emulators in general. The original poster went out of their way to state that all roms and emulators are illegal which is false. Some roms may be illegal and no emulators are ever illegal. If they were zophar's domain would have been history lomg ago.
B. As a game developer I understand the need to protect my intelectual property rights, I do not however feel the need to erode fair use laws to bolster my profits.
C. I know exactly what fair use means. Beyond allowing partial use in other works for educational and parody purposes, fair use also creates a legal right to make backup copies of your software, music, and videogames. I said nothing about posting those things on the internet, that is just another straw man arguement. Maybe you should have checked that YOU really knew what fair use is before posting. Had you even considered that all of those people on the internet crying fair use were right? How did you think it was legal to rip a cd onto your computer?

anyway dont break anything getting off your high horse...

Ouch . . . I fell off my high horsey and it hurt.

Illegal ROMS are the main reason emulators exist and you bloody well know it. Every point you are trying to make fails and I have the rule of law on my side of the argument. All you seem to have is this idea of fair use. I definitely understand that provision of thew copyright act because I work with it every day. As do the lawyers that watch out for problems us writers might cause their client's printed materials.

And you are correct, emulators are not illegal. But since they are used (for the most part) to play these illegal games, saying they are strictly legal is a matter for another debate. I mean how do you address the question of if something should be allowed that exists (for the most part) to play games that are illegally produced and distributed.

Fair use does not apply to ROMS. It does not apply to most of the songs and videos on YouTube, either. Although it is claimed by posters that are clueless. If you really are a game developer, there is no real difference between me making ROMS available and me making your games available. If you want to improperly claim fair use, then allow me to do the same.

This is why forum rules prohibit links to web sites offering ROMS. Doubt that, then ask a moderator. Quite likely we will both incur an infraction just for arguing this today.

I don't think much more needs to be said about that.

Yes, you can make backups of your software and music. That does not mean you can post those "backups" on the Internet and make them available to the planet. If I create a ROM from my vintage video game and post it on the web, it is not a backup and I likely do not do it for any reason other than to make it available to people that want to play Astra Wars or whatever the game is.

Finally, ask Nintendo or any other game manufacturer about this and they will tell you exactly the same thing. And do not try the argument that you just want to backup the game, it will not fly and if you are dragged into court, the judge will side with Nintendo. That is just how it is, so get over it.

So, to clarify, if you use legal emulators to run illegally produced and distributed games, you are in violation of the law, period. Does not matter how you try and try again to justify it... it is illegal and that is that.

Bob

Most reactions