What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a shock

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My girlfriend told me she had problem with her iPad Pro it was stalling all the time, l narrowed it down to one app. Deleted it and reinstalled it, didn't help. Then she just happened to mention that the screen was cracked in the lower right hand corner. I never have liked the setup she uses, a leather case with a seam along the edge were you would press the button. However the button is completely covered by the leather and hard to find. The stand is from an company well known for making Swedish furniture at very good prices. But not
iPad Pro Stands in my opinion. Must point out l was not with her when she bought it. A photo should follow l hope. I explained the problem to the Apple rep wondering how much and how long it would all take if l send it in by insured post. The shock came, told me, we can't repair a damaged iPad Pro screen they are to finely built. You're model A1671 will be stripped for usable parts. But we can offer you one at a reduced price of €643. I nearly died,thought Apple could do anything. I recently bought mine ok 1st. Generation with more GB's for €500 and it came with a new case.
Yes l was taking a risk but the screen is OK.
IMG_2471.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the case hides the broken bit it should be all right but there is the possibility that the cracking could get worse. BTW, broken screens can’t be repaired, only replaced.
How old is the iPad Pro? The first model came out 5 years ago and would cost more to repair than it's currently worth.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for replying. That is the problem the case does not hide the crack, in the corner, and she uses her finger and thumb to switch it off.
And the pressure from her thumb and finger in my mind have caused the crack. The iPad Pro was released in October 2018 and has only 64 GB's. She's not into downloading music and stuff. She gets a German Telekom contract ever 2years normally. I was hoping to avoid this this year in October because it's expensive.
And between the 2018 and the 2020 models for her to watch you tube and TV is pointless. Do you think if l leave the present screen protector in place and use some sellotape over the crack it might prolong the life of the iPad Pro. Yes of cause nobody can say for sure but I would like to try something. And buy a new case, where the switch is visible.
Thanks for your thoughts BB
IMG_2479.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A better designed case that hides the crack and exposes the power button would be the best solution. The hidden crack would protect her from possibly cutting herself on sharp edges. You can also tape over the crack to prevent lose pieces from falling out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I agree, a good screen protector and a better case would be the best choice. Clear tape isn’t a bad idea, but I’d wait to see how the case and screen protector work first. Not that you can’t remove the tape if it’s in the way.

I can think of a few other things to try, but they would be risky, and probably cause Apple to refuse any other repairs (like battery replacement.) Try what you’ve already thought of, and only go further down the rabbit hole if that is unsatisfactory.

Besides, new iPads should be announced early next year (at the latest). No telling whether your girlfriend will find a newer one irresistible or not. Two full generations of improvement are a lot harder to resist than one.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A better designed case that hides the crack and exposes the power button would be the best solution. The hidden crack would protect her from possibly cutting herself on sharp edges. You can also tape over the crack to prevent lose pieces from falling out.

That's my thinking, the problem l have is getting her to understand and go along with it. I have copied and translated your post into German so that she can read it from someone with much more knowledge and understanding of the iOS system than me.
I hope that helps. Thanks BB

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well tonight I put my foot down. Said give me your iPad Pro,Apple will not repair it so l can't do any worse than try to keep it going. Bright lights and a magnifying glass revealed (see photo) l could lift the screen.
Good news or not, could it be the screen protector and not the screen? AMAZED it lifted more and more it
turned out to be the protector.
IMG_2486.jpg

Photo was taken though an iPhone and magnifying glass.
Thanks for the confidence and support BB

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The second photo screen protector removed with care
the screen cleaned. And the cover was cut were necessary until a new suitable one can be found.
IMG_2488.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well tonight I put my foot down. Said give me your iPad Pro,Apple will not repair it so l can't do any worse than try to keep it going. Bright lights and a magnifying glass revealed (see photo) l could lift the screen.
Good news or not, could it be the screen protector and not the screen? AMAZED it lifted more and more it
turned out to be the protector.
View attachment 90078
Photo was taken though an iPhone and magnifying glass.
Thanks for the confidence and support BB
Well that was certainly an unexpected good result.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Morning I read on google some ways to remove them. Using rubber gloves and a credit card, and slowly going around the edges. I put some thick paper in between as it was releasing to protect the actual screen from scratching. And l used work goggles to protect my eyes.
All worked out well.
Then l took the case and cut away the corner to give access to the volume switches and the on and off switch.
Once again thanks for all your help and confidence building BB

Most reactions

Latest posts