What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 Replacement screen (SIngapore)

davidem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I came here to tell you my experience with Apple.
Bought iPad2 3G 32GB 10 days back. 2 days later I got an USD80 leather case with screen protector to go with it.

Just yesterday the screen cracked, last person using it was my 8 year old daughter. After inspecting it, I can see no physical damage anywhere except the screen & weird thing is, it started from a section where the leather case covers over, with no evidence of leather damage.

Today I went to an Apple Authorised Service Provider (Sapura), a nice gentleman attended to me. I told him what had happened & asked how much would it cost me to get this fixed. To my horror he said it would be $XXX amount. It's 75% of the value of a new iPad2 of the same model & capacity. I knew he didn't set this policy. He then gave me a 800 number.
I called (1-800-186-1087) at 1904hrs and explained my situation. The customer care personnel (Carlos) who had a 'Care-less' attitude. I asked if it can be of a part replacement rather than a full unit exchange or the price have any room for improvement. Flat 'NO' was his answer. He didn't even bother to find more options. I noted his un-helpfulness, so I said with that kind of price I can thrash this unit & get a new one, rather then getting an exchange & allow Apple to sell my original unit as a refurbished one. He answered sarcastically 'Your Choice'. Upon hearing that I said 'Thank You' & hung up.
This would be my last Apple product if I can help it. I will also make sure that I will tell my story to all, through every possible mean via mail, forum, twitter, facebook & etc.

Apple won't replace screen, they rather you pay for a full unit.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. Sorry to hear this. Is that the store you initially purchased it from? I would try a different store and be very nice.

You have only had this iPad2 for 10 days?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was shocked too by your experience. If you look around the Forum you'll see that many Members have been getting their iPads replaced for free, even if it's not really a warranty issue. I would definitely try again - perhaps it would do no harm either to mention the Forum and how you're posting your experiences on the largest iPad Forum in the world....

Tim

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the 800 number for Apple or the Apple resellers HO, I have never come across treatment like this from Apple before.

The Archangel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reading your post again, this should be warranty damage - the screen cracked and, since there's no evidence of physical damage elsewhere, you should tell them it should be replaced under the terms of the warranty. Don't accept this treatment!!

Tim

OP
D

davidem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so very much, I will do so again tomorrow. Will keep this forum updated on progress.

Ampress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
India treatment not so good either

Just got a new ipad2 and decided to explore buying an APP after the fact. I also had an iPod with a headphone jack issue I happened to take along. This was within the warranty period but it took very long to just convince the helpers there to even accept the iPod and show it to their technical dept. They just kept insisting that nothing cn be done. They just wanted me to go away!

And this after I had bought a pair of earphones from their shop that just wouldn't work.

Yes the treatment in the US is exemplary.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got a new ipad2 and decided to explore buying an APP after the fact. I also had an iPod with a headphone jack issue I happened to take along. This was within the warranty period but it took very long to just convince the helpers there to even accept the iPod and show it to their technical dept. They just kept insisting that nothing cn be done. They just wanted me to go away!

And this after I had bought a pair of earphones from their shop that just wouldn't work.

Simply do not accept this type of treatment. Get the name of the store personnel who dealt with you. If possible, have a friend there who can act as a witness. Write to or email Apple - in the US, if necessary. Yes - address it to Steve Jobs - it has been known to work. You worked long and hard to earn the money to buy your Apple products and you deserve and expect better treatment than this. I'm sure that Steve Jobs would be very angry indeed if he heard of this type of treatment. I think I'm correct in saying that there are no Apple Stores in India but that Apple authorise certain outlets to distribute their products - but, even so, that is no excuse for such shocking treatment.

Apple have built their reputation on outstanding customer service and the mantra that the customer is always right and comes first. They would not be happy to know that their reputation was being sullied in this manner.

Again - do not accept such treatment.

Tim

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Wow. Sorry to hear this. Is that the store you initially purchased it from? I would try a different store and be very nice.

You have only had this iPad2 for 10 days?

Very good point, I'm sure that what has happened to you is the exception rather than the rule, but as SP suggested try a different Apple store, and when the panic is over, email Apple regarding the experience you had and how much it has ruined your initial views of a product younwere so looking forward to.

I hope this is resolved, and with a positive outcome, hang in there :)

And please keep us all posted.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the 800 number for Apple or the Apple resellers HO, I have never come across treatment like this from Apple before.

This is the correct tech support number for Apple Singapore (as listed on their country website), but they've outsourced these calls to a company called Sapura who obviously have a different standard and approach to customer care.

As others have pointed out, I would continue pursuing this issue, and perhaps also make this known to Apple corporate in Cupertino to let them know that their representatives in Spore are letting their brand and reputation down.

OP
D

davidem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Approached another Apple Authorized Service Provider though without my iPad2, they gave me an entirely different quote. They said it will cost $X (55% of the value) & if it's catastrophic it should cost well over 110%. I then asked, why does 2 service provider within a small geographic location have such different costing. They don't have the slightest clue.

After reading the forum over again I can see that service standards & policies of Apple isn't even spread across the world let alone,within a local area. Mostly all the happy customers are in US.

I'll be traveling shortly (sadly it's not US this time, lol) & will continue to pursue this matter next week.

Ampress

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Simply do not accept this type of treatment. Get the name of the store personnel who dealt with you. If possible, have a friend there who can act as a witness. Write to or email Apple - in the US, if necessary. Yes - address it to Steve Jobs - it has been known to work. You worked long and hard to earn the money to buy your Apple products and you deserve and expect better treatment than this. I'm sure that Steve Jobs would be very angry indeed if he heard of this type of treatment. I think I'm correct in saying that there are no Apple Stores in India but that Apple authorise certain outlets to distribute their products - but, even so, that is no excuse for such shocking treatment.

Apple have built their reputation on outstanding customer service and the mantra that the customer is always right and comes first. They would not be happy to know that their reputation was being sullied in this manner.

Again - do not accept such treatment.

Tim
Well I am happy to report that my iPod has been replaced!

I went back to someone higher up in the store and explained the problem again. This lady was helpful. She asked me go leave the iPod overnight and she would show it to a technician. If the damage was not caused by "physical" action then there was a chance that the device would be replaced.

And today I got a call to say that a replacement had been approved. I am happy, but a little disappointed with the original response. Not very customer friendly was it? And if I hadn't persevered (nicely) I would have been stuck with a lemon.

anthonygavin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ceiling type bedroom lamp fell on top of my ipad2 and broke the glass.
How did your broken glass case settled in singapore? I will be traveling to singapore to get it fix soon, but knowing your case was 70+% the value
I will be quite pesimistic with the solution offered too.

Most reactions

Latest posts