What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting an iPad2 from the USA sent to the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I buy an iPad2 16gig wifi in the UK I will pay about £429.00 ($703.00).

If I buy it in the USA I will pay £304.00 ($499.00).

That's means I'm paying a whopping £125.00 ($205.00) more for an iPad2 in the UK than I would pay in the USA.

So is there any reason why someone (i.e. Me) shouldn't just have one sent to them in the UK from a friend in the USA? Of course there will be postage but that won't be so expensive. Is there any other reason though such as region compatibility or power usage? I think the iPad doesn't care where it's connected by usb to a pc but if it's being charged in the UK which has a stronger power system will that be a problem?
Also if it developes a problem will the garentee be valid to have it serviced in the UK?

Any thought or other issues that would deter me from saving $200 by having it sent from the USA?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I buy an iPad2 16gig wifi in the UK I will pay about £429.00 ($703.00).

If I buy it in the USA I will pay £304.00 ($499.00).

That's means I'm paying a whopping £125.00 ($205.00) more for an iPad2 in the UK than I would pay in the USA.

So is there any reason why someone (i.e. Me) shouldn't just have one sent to them in the UK from a friend in the USA? Of course there will be postage but that won't be so expensive. Is there any other reason though such as region compatibility or power usage? I think the iPad doesn't care where it's connected by usb to a pc but if it's being charged in the UK which has a stronger power system will that be a problem?
Also if it developes a problem will the garentee be valid to have it serviced in the UK?

Any thought or other issues that would deter me from saving $200 by having it sent from the USA?

You’ll be charged 20% VAT plus import duty by Customs. When the package enters the UK it will sit at (usually) Stansted airport in Customs until the carrier - say FedEx have collected the money from you.

Then they’ll deliver it!

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

Poita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What if it's sent by regular mail. Or if someone visiting the UK just brings it?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What if it's sent by regular mail. Or if someone visiting the UK just brings it?

When anything is sent from the USA to the UK (or vice versa) it has to have a Customs Declaration on the outside that states the contents and their value. The Customs have the right to open a package in order to inspect it so as to be sure the declaration is correct. It doesn't matter whether it is by FedEx or any other carrier.

If someone visiting the UK were to bring an iPad in to the country they would have to exit International Arrivals by the Red Channel (something to declare) where they would have to pay the VAT and Import Duty.

If they tried to come in through the Green Channel (nothing to declare) that would be illegal. Customs officers have the right, and often do, search a passenger's baggage for undeclared items. It is an offence - subject to imprisonment - to try to bring undeclared items through the Green Channel - it's smuggling.

Passengers are allowed to bring in a small 'personal allowance' of goods duty free - for gifts I think the allowance is £250. Multiple passengers are not allowed to combine their allowances - so two passengers could not combine their allowances to £500 to bring back an iPad.

It really is considered a very serious offence to try to bring goods back into the country and avoid paying VAT and duty - the 'Oh dear, I forgot about that iPad' excuse is not accepted.

I know some people who try to unpack their goods to try to make them appear as though they were bought in the UK and were simply being used overseas and are now being brought back. Customs officers are very adept at spotting this so don't be tempted.

Bottom line - you need to pay Import Duty and VAT if you're bringing goods into the UK from overseas in excess of the Duty Free allowance.

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

Poita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting.

If a friends comes from the USA and unpacks the iPad2 and just says it's his personal one then there is surely no way customs could prove othewise.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably not - but it's still illegal. iPad Forum does not condone any form of illegal activity, so I'm afraid I can't advise you any further on this matter.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
Well, it was mentioned already by Tim that having someone import an iPad for you while avoiding import taxes is illegal.

A slightly more legal alternative would be for your friend visiting from the US to buy the iPad 2 for themselves. And then you only convince them to sell the iPad to you, when they are already in the UK.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a touchy subject but may I point out prices in USA donot include sales tax when most other countries include tax in prices it is a common mistake when some one compares

As Tim said we do not condone any illegal activity in this forum so do not even go there with the discussion

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the best interest of this forum I am closing this thread. The subject matter does not meet out forum guidelines as the discussion is in some part about smuggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts