What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone know if Pages comes with an equation editor?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a piece of advice, if you plan on importing and exporting documents into and from PC formats, Documents to Go is the better choice in Word Processing. Pages DOES export to MS Word format, but Numbers and Keynote do not, and Pages tends to screw up formatting from MS Word on import.

However, Docs 2 Go doesn't have that function, at least that I can see. The word processing app is lacking.

I also re-downloaded Pages just to see for you and I don't see what you are looking for either...are you trying to basically insert an equation like you would use in Excel?

OP
M

martinc31415

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not trying to get a working formula.

I write some mathematical texts and just need the ability to write the functions or equations.

I need exponents, I need subscripts, I need a fraction bar where I can have a polynomial numerator and denominator etc.

I also need the Greek alphabet. :)

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see those options in either one of the programs. Greek letters you can get on the iPad keyboard regular if you hold the key down, I believe.

OP
M

martinc31415

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your right about the Greek alphabet.

With no equation editor Pages is of extremely limited value to me I'm afraid. :(

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know of any word processing app that has super/sub script. Have you tried Google Docs?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just checked, Google Docs has super and sub scripts. It also has special characters. Try it and see if it works for you...should work in Safari just as well...

charriga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No clue if it works with iPad, but have you looked at mathtype?

Edit. The website says it works with iworks.

Last edited:
OP
M

martinc31415

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No clue if it works with iPad, but have you looked at mathtype?

Edit. The website says it works with iworks.

I did a little searching myself and saw MathType mentioned a lot with iWorks. apparently there is no MathType app for the iPad yet though.

The thing I find odd I'd that MathType is not an Apple product. Apple"s proprietary word processor not having an equation editor is really strange. I just started playing with Pages and there is a lot to like about it but what a gaping whole they left.

litchie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need the ability to insert mathematical functions in a way similar to MSWord equation editor.

No way to do that in pages now, but there is an app that lets you typeset equation in TeX, then copy the equation image over to pages. search for "TeX Equation" in itunes.

rkelac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another way to insert an equation is Wolfram. You can setup an equation in Mathematica and copy an image of the equation.

Hjoiner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here I am, a year and a half later with the same question. Is there anything better out there today than in 2010? I am a high school math teacher and want to make out tests and worksheets for my students. I thought the iPad 2 would be a great idea to use at home. I have noticed several products available in the App Store, but a lot of them work equations, not write/edit them.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hjoiner,

You are right, not much has been happening relative to math editing. I wish Design Science and Apple could get together on Math Type for the iPad.

In the interrim, you might try EQEditor. Though it is based on LaTex, it actually has a pretty intuitive editor interface and you can export (or copy and paste) into Pages as a JPEG file.

Though still a bit cumbersome, it works well enough if you are willing to switch apps and copy and paste. Don't recall the price, but EQEditor isn't unaffordable. (I'm sure less than ten bucks---maybe five or so?)

Most reactions

Latest posts