What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you regret not getting 3G?

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my 64g 3g/wifi. Already had a pretty good idea of my limitations because of my iphone.

I leave both on....but if I'm at home and not going anywhere I will turn on airplane mode.
I think I use both equally.
Usually around 2992/228 on AT&T 3g which streams slingplayer and other apps very well.....much more than the speeds I get on most free wifi hotspots in Tulsa except for Joe Marina Honda(4g/2g) where I service my car.

It connects to wifi when in range of home or the Honda place and when not in range it goes to 3g.
Now I can multitask. I can talk on skype while doing other things on 3g or wifi at home or in the car. Normally don't use a headset.
If wifi goes out I am still doing my thing.
I travel in the U.S. it's 3g unless I am on an aircraft with wifi.
If out of the country it is wifi only. With VPN.
Like to sail and 3G is pretty strong off the coast of Florida.

Does it all in one package.

I am grandfathered in with unlimited 3g.
Sold 4 shares of APPL to buy it.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 3g and I am loving it. I also have an iphone with 3g. Since I got the ipad, i rarely use the phone so I took the 3g service off the phone. My ipad basicaaly goes everywhere with me in my shoulder bag.

swisspolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I regret not getting 3G because I use my iPad out and about a lot. Something like 38% of iPad owners never take it out of the house and 20% again don't use it in public places, I would imaging that most people don't need 3G .... I do though and I wish I had

Al Stevens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To answer the original question, no I do not regret having the wifi-only model. I have wifi now at my house/studio, and, when on the road, I'm never far from a McDonalds or whatever, but rarely need it. Also, on the road, I usually have the Kindle instead of the iPad. It's the small one and fits in a jacket pocket. It travels easier.

If iPad, like Kindle, would have bundled the 3G online cost into the price of the device, I probably would have gotten a 3G model.

Last edited:

Lowjiber1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T service really sucks here in Nevada. Besides, their "plan" is a ripoff IMHO.

I carry my iPad in my Jeep all the time and have never found a need for 3G...there's always a WiFi within range.

Save your $$$.

jstutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have WiFi only and it's the best choice for me because when I want 3G, I use a CradlePoint PHS300 mini-router with any pay-as-you-go USB turbo stick (I use a Virgin Mobile one). 3G only when I need it with no monthly contracts. Neat little package.

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't regret at all, but my friends' wifi seems are OK too.

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope, I bought an Android for £60 off Ebay and tether on the rare occasions I can't find Wifi. Also now have Google Navigation on the phone which is a real gem in the car.

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have helped me this week. I'm certain that I will be selling my Kindle to buy a 32 gb iPad from the Apple Store. The last part of the equation is wifi or wifi with 3G. Many have said they love the 3G because it helps them in spots without wifi. Others have told me that it's a waste of money since my house is wifi and I am home more than not.

I want to know if anyone without 3G regrets that decision and find themselves in empty spots without wifi, whether it's at work, traveling, or a friend's house.

Thanks again!
NO I got the DroidX for that. ATT sucks where I live as I tried Iphone4 for a few days but no signal 1/2 the time.

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish I had 3G :(.

16GB WiFi, is not enough.

I use this thing daily. I try fitting music and movies/videos on here, but I always try and put games on here.

Not enough space!!!

Always I tether, but I'm on T-Mobile Edge which SUCKS!

Wish I had 3G.

feelsbadman

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No regrets with buying the wifi oppose to the 3G ipad

I have no regrets buying the wifi iPad instead of the 3G. , just about every where I go there is a wifi hotspot for free. Not only did I save money but use the extra money to but a Oberon iPad cover.

Snarky30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also bought the wifi only version and picked up one of Virgin Mobiles Mifi hotspot cards. They're only $150 w/ no contract and for $40/month you get truly unlimited 3G and here in St. Louis, MO, the coverage is great. Plus I can use it for my laptop and my iPod Touch.

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 16gig wifi version. I use 'DropBox' to store all of my files. When a wifi hot spot is not available I make one for myself using my Droid in the car, shopping, motel, restaurant or any place for that matter. Love it when my IPad and Droid are tethered together.

Last edited:

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use it. Love it. Wouldn't own an iPad without it.

It fits my lifestyle and does what I need it to. I would hate to take my pad somewhere and not be able to use it Internet wise.

Plus a lot of people I know have secure wireless networks at home. Pita to ask for an access code..

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have helped me this week. I'm certain that I will be selling my Kindle to buy a 32 gb iPad from the Apple Store. The last part of the equation is wifi or wifi with 3G. Many have said they love the 3G because it helps them in spots without wifi. Others have told me that it's a waste of money since my house is wifi and I am home more than not.

I want to know if anyone without 3G regrets that decision and find themselves in empty spots without wifi, whether it's at work, traveling, or a friend's house.

Thanks again!
I do. I thought at first that wifi would be enough, but I've found I like to use it in the car.

Most reactions