What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do the Mods actually help or simply close threads??

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxSimoneBxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of the posts on here and am curious as to why the moderators seem to silence anyone who dares happen to mention piracy or a repo that supports piracy! Surely this forum is here for people to get help with their iPads, regardless of where or how they come by the app or tweak! - and what about freedom of speech??

Whilst I DO NOT support piracy - I do, myself, and have, used a pirated version of an tweak to see if it is WORTH paying for and IF it is going to conflict with anything on my system, BEFORE going back and buying the developers tweak!

I appreciate that developers put a lot of work into producing tweaks for distribution on cydia and alike, but these tweaks aren't full tested or fully compatible with everything installed on our systems - if they were, they would be approved by apple!

Some developers charge big bucks for their tweaks - and whilst I don't begrudge paying £1 or £2 pounds for a tweak - when the price starts to get higher then it's just not on - especially when you purchase the tweak and it isn't compatible with something on your system - money wasted!! Developers aren't so quick to give you a refund when their £6-£7 tweak doesn't 'play nice' with the other tweaks!!

Surely if all developers implemented a 'trial period' into their tweaks the level of piracy would half!!

I'm sure one of the moderators will read my rant and close the thread (and possibly ban me!) - but I hope it's 'food for thought' for some of the fellow forum-ers out there - whilst I don't condone piracy - it has and always will be there in one form or another!!

S.xoxo

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Read the rules. The mods don't have any choice. We are charged with doing everything we can to make this a good place for members. We support piracy, and the forum gets closed down. It's simple as that, so yes! any mention of piracy and the thread gets deleted, and often the member gets banned, depending on circumstances. In such a case the mods will have a discussion about what action to take, and will often ask for advice from the administrators.

Also, do the mods help? Have a look at the number of answers that are given by the mods. I'd say we help. We also like to greet new members and try to give helpful advice, and we keep doing so, even when there is little or no feedback, when we may have spent hours researching a problem and using our own equipment to try to reproduce a problem.

This forum is about it's members, and we are here round the clock to do what we can for the members. We are one of the most successful iPad forums in the world, for a reason. The forum is well-run. We don't mind admitting our mistakes, and we are watched by the administrators and owners to make sure we do a good job.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would also like to mention that all the Moderators do this as a volunteer service to this and other Forums they are assigned to. All of us have professional careers, own family businesses, business travel, attend Graduate School and also have families.

We do help our members here-from the simplest to the most complex questions. This is also supported by the help of many of our long-term members that find this Forum extremely valuable.

We do not accept piracy both from the standards of the Forum rules and also from personal ethics and beliefs. We hope that you understand and see our point of view.

Thank you.

OP
X

xxxSimoneBxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whilst I appreciate what you have both said - surely the idea of a forum is for people to speak 'relatively' freely and of course get help with issues they are having!!

Sharing knowledge is vital for most people to learn and grow - and half the time it has been due to 'underhanded' methods that people have learnt the most from. I understand you have to answer to the powers that be - but surely there are other ways then closing and banning??

I did state that I don't support piracy as such, but I'm sure you don't expect us to believe that you guys have never watched a dodgy movie brought from a local car boot sale or downloaded something from a torrent site!! That movie was brought to you via a form of piracy!!

I am fairly new here, and have enjoyed reading some threads, I'm just a little disheartened reading the same stock message of Moderator shooting someone down, stating they are a 'pirate' and condone it by simply having a tweak on their phone - and for having an issue with it!!

Why don't you shoot down the developers for providing inadequate apps and tweaks that fail or conflict?? Surely the fact that you jailbreak your iPad shows that you 'don't do everything by the book' otherwise you would stick with Apple's stock.

I am glad that you both replied though - it shows that the Mods do read and respond to postings about piracy without closing threads - so thank you for that - and I'm sure many members appreciate all the hours you volunteer (although I don't believe I questioned that or anything else about your personal lives!!).

My posting wasn't meant as a personally attack, merely to stimulate conversation and thought, surrounding the forums, developers and ultimately piracy.

S.xoxo

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our rules are very clear on topics that relate to religion, politics, and piracy. They simply are NOT allowed. One could argue that exchanging knowledge and ideas on any of these topics could enhance ones views. That is why there are other forums that discuss these topics.

If you find our rules too restrictive on these issues then perhaps you should seek one of the forums that do discuss them.

This thread is closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. While you have not questioned the personal lives of moderators, the content of your title implies it and questions the effectiveness and work Moderators perform here each day.

We do encourage our members to engage in a manner that is within the guidelines of our Forum. Since this is only your 3rd post, please spend some time here to get to know our members and staff and the quality and commitment we share on this Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions