What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling Multitasking

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to disable the native multitasking on 4.2.1. ive tried the only two methods I could find...the MyOS app on cydia and the method through winterboard...neither one of them worked. Any ideas?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of depends what you mean by disabling...

You could use backgrounder and set its defaults to ensure nothing multitasks as standard.

If you are trying to remove it from the user interface, that is less straight forward and I can't help you... Sorry.

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried using backgrounder, but it seems that even when I would designate something run in backgrounder ( wiimpte music controls) and I would use the remove background app to clear the native multitasking it takes out wiimote music controls as well. And it would also remove the mail app's ability to check for mail in the background even though I had it set to only run under native backgrounding. With back grounder uninstalled, remove background will remove the app from multitasking but not affect it's ability to receive mail in the background.

bundat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't mind a little manual tweaking, you can try the following:

- Using iFile, go to the directory "/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app"
- Look for a file named "N82AP.plist" or similar (like "N88AP.plist", etc.)
- Search for <multitasking>, and change the value from <true/> to <false/>
- Restart

Let me know if it works out for you.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate multi-tasking. I like the thought, but the layout is stupid. It keeps everything open, and to fully close it I need to double click the home button, press and hold, and turn off.

I wish I could just select what apps I want to stay open do. The rest close when I press home.

I always use safari, email, friendly (facebook). The others not so much so a pita to close them out.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate multi-tasking. I like the thought, but the layout is stupid. It keeps everything open, and to fully close it I need to double click the home button, press and hold, and turn off.

I wish I could just select what apps I want to stay open do. The rest close when I press home.

I always use safari, email, friendly (facebook). The others not so much so a pita to close them out.

The combination of SwithcherMod and Backgrounder will allow you to do exavtly what you want...

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is switcher mod? I think you can do all of that stuff with Backgrounder alone.

Chapco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it was just yet, but with these 2 programs running, when I hit about 20% power I suffered from constant crashing of apps. anyone else notice this?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just curious why you want to disable multitasking?
Ninety five percent of the time I just ignore it.
And I can't say I've noticed any impact on performance, but then I'm not as fast as I used to be.......

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it was just yet, but with these 2 programs running, when I hit about 20% power I suffered from constant crashing of apps. anyone else notice this?

i run a whole lot more than these 2 mods and have never experienced constant app crashing. Also fail to see how on earth it could be related to the percentage of power remaining unless you have a hardware fault...

Most reactions

Latest posts