What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did the iPad 4 announcement surprise you?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't feel sorry for me....I do feel shafted by Apple. I purchased the ipad 3 figuring it was the best operating ipad. A couple of months later they come out with an "updated" one... It is not like buying a new car. If I purchase a new car, a newer model doesn't come out for another 8 months to a year.... Not a couple of months....

What? It depends on when you buy. I bought the new iPad in March. It is end of October. 3/12 vs 10/12. 7 months. The thing streets on Nov 2 or mid November, 8 Months. In the meantime, I've been using this iPad all this time.

You buy a top of the line Android phone from Verizon, the following week a better one comes out, from Verizon. Do you swear to never buy another phone from Verizon? You buy a new car in March 2012, new models come out in fall, so you swear to never buy a new came from them again?

The iPad you bought was the best when you bought it. But there was no promise that a newer model would not be released. People have to be adult enough to understand that any tech is dated if it has been on the market a few months. This market is highly competitive (people should understand this too) and it makes sense for Apple to refresh its premium tablet in face of all of the other competition. After they changed the connector tech, it makes sense for them to move new buyers to that rather than selling them obsolete connectors on their flagship product.

Really, if you don't want to ever feel shafted in the technology game, don't buy any of it. There is always new and improved. That is the way of things.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mate, me too, big time!

I bought mine last week and the retailer won't take it back unless its in its original packaging and then he'd still have to consider things (god knows what, may his bonus might be affected).

I don't think that I will be an Apple consumer after this experience.

I will probably buy a small laptop and be done with that.

Then your problem should be with the retailer, not Apple. Had you bought it from Apple, you have a 14-day return period, no questions asked.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't understand what everyone is crying about, apple never forced anyone to buy their products... In the end that's life, build a bridge and get over it, I can't wait for my iPad 4 to arrive and if one is released in march? Then I'll upgrade again simple!

bluerob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Then your problem should be with the retailer, not Apple. Had you bought it from Apple, you have a 14-day return period, no questions asked.

Yes, a lesson learnt hard. My nearest Apple store is a 30 min drive, whereas the retailer I bought mine from is 10 mins. Bit easier to be driven 10mins in a car than 30mins when you've had 7 spinal operations in 2.5 years. Maybe I would have tolerated the longer drive if I'd known about Apple stores being flexible.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since I bought a 7 inch tablet I can tell you it's not the same as using a 10 inch tablet. Sure it's a step up in user ability from a iPhone, but how someone does things quickly with ease on a small phone, is beyond my guess. If people are used to using their 10 inch iPads working with the new smaller iPad will be a BIG change for many.

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I_luv_Apple said:
Is anyone selling their new iPad to get the new new Ipad? I'm considering it.

I got my numberless iPad in March and love it. Just because Apple decided to upgrade it a little isn't going to make me buy the latest craze. I don't buy a new car every 6 months either!
Now if I win the lottery, I might consider it…

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that all the hype over the iPad mini made excellent cover for the iPad 4. It was easier to hide it in all the buzz and speculation about the upcoming iPad mini.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I bought a 7 inch tablet I can tell you it's not the same as using a 10 inch tablet. Sure it's a step up in user ability from a iPhone, but how someone does things quickly with ease on a small phone, is beyond my guess. If people are used to using their 10 inch iPads working with the new smaller iPad will be a BIG change for many.

Speaking for myself, I don't think I will have that problem using a 7.9 inch screen tablet. I have used my droid phone to moderate this forum without any issue. Yes, at times I wish I had a larger screen on my phone..but so is life. So going to a mini ipad will be a great asset for my busy life for its size and portability. Many people will probably agree...heck, a lot of members on the iphoneforums are looking forward to this mini ipad for the same reasons.

L

Lunar

Yes, a lesson learnt hard. My nearest Apple store is a 30 min drive, whereas the retailer I bought mine from is 10 mins. Bit easier to be driven 10mins in a car than 30mins when you've had 7 spinal operations in 2.5 years. Maybe I would have tolerated the longer drive if I'd known about Apple stores being flexible.

one's always wiser afterwards, I can undersatnd your annoyance especially having only just bought it, I bought mine on release day in March and I wasn't expecting it to be replaced so quickly with a updated model but thats seems to be occuring more frequently, at the end of the day, like mine, your new iPad is exactly the same now as it was when you bought it, I think it's more to do with the iPads value which gets affected when new models come out, so it's this potential loss in value that upsets most people.

However, as someone who has been caught out many times when buying items only to find it's replaced quickly by a later model I don't worry too much about it, as I tend to think that if I kept waiting for the next model I would end up never buying anything..lol I have had several months use out of my iPad3, and like many other owners I expected a replacement perhaps around next March... but technology moves quickly these days, though in your case I can well understand your feelings having just bought a week ago.

As a result of bad experiences in the past when trying to return items to certain stores in the UK, when ordering something now, especially if it's a pricey item, I will sometimes pay a little extra if necessary and order from somewhere where I know they have an easy no quible return policy, such as the likes of Amazon or similar.
TBH I still regard my iPad 3 64/4G as being a fairly new purchase, and certainly won't be upgrading it anytime soon, and would likely skip the next model anyway.

In the UK we have something called the 'Distance Selling Act' which gives customers 7days from the date of receipt of the item to return something as long as the condition is as received, but this only applies to items ordered online not from the store direct, though many stores do have some sort of return policy. ( some more lax than others)

Last edited by a moderator:

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, I don't think I will have that problem using a 7.9 inch screen tablet. I have used my droid phone to moderate this forum without any issue. Yes, at times I wish I had a larger screen on my phone..but so is life. So going to a mini ipad will be a great asset for my busy life for its size and portability. Many people will probably agree...heck, a lot of members on the iphoneforums are looking forward to this mini ipad for the same reasons.

I am not implying it won't meet many peoples needs a smaller tablet, just posting it will be a change from a 10 inch tablet in using the smaller tablet.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
When Apple came out with the IPAD 3 they knew about the IPAD 4! It is the exact same machine with a faster processor and faster Wi-Fi at the same price!!!! They cheated everyone who bought the IPAD 3 and they should swap every single one for an IPAD 4. With Steve Jobs gone Apple is in decline and this is a perfect example. First and last Apple product that I will ever buy!!!!!!!!!!

Can you please stop posting the same thing in every thread...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
denvernet said:
When Apple came out with the IPAD 3 they knew about the IPAD 4! It is the exact same machine with a faster processor and faster Wi-Fi at the same price!!!! They cheated everyone who bought the IPAD 3 and they should swap every single one for an IPAD 4. With Steve Jobs gone Apple is in decline and this is a perfect example. First and last Apple product that I will ever buy!!!!!!!!!!
Lol

nickb67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The people are the problem as much as Apple, why does everyone have to have the very latest model right now! just use the current one untill it starts to not be able to keep up with the latest apps etc. I own an Ipad 2, my buddy an Ipad 3, and I tricked him into believing my ipad 2 was a 3, the retina display only seems to be noticable to all of you who paid for it. When anyone goes into an apple store its hard to tell the difference, other than the 3 keeps your fingers warm in winter, the ipad 4 will be replaced with a 5 etc, where does it stop, but one thing for sure the apple nerds will be lining up outside store for days! (the faster the new devices get released, the less new features seem to be added, maybe people should upgrade every 3rd model)

Most reactions