What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did the iPad 4 announcement surprise you?

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
nickb67 said:
The people are the problem as much as Apple, why does everyone have to have the very latest model right now! just use the current one untill it starts to not be able to keep up with the latest apps etc. I own an Ipad 2, my buddy an Ipad 3, and I tricked him into believing my ipad 2 was a 3, the retina display only seems to be noticable to all of you who paid for it. When anyone goes into an apple store its hard to tell the difference, other than the 3 keeps your fingers warm in winter, the ipad 4 will be replaced with a 5 etc, where does it stop, but one thing for sure the apple nerds will be lining up outside store for days! (the faster the new devices get released, the less new features seem to be added, maybe people should upgrade every 3rd model)

Lol I agree.... Other than it is noticeable the difference of retina once you have got use to using it.

BlueSky77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To answer the original thread's question.... yes, the announcement surprised me but I'm fine with it. Why? Because November 2 is still within the time frame for me to return my iPad 3 64 gb for the new iPad 4. Looks like another trip to Best Buy for me. :)

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was very surprised. I half expected a re-released iPad3 with the lightening connector. I was not expecting the CPU/GPU bump. I have to admit that I am upset. I do understand that the problem may be within me but I figured I'd have more time before my device was no longer the top model. To those that say that it is the same iPad I had before the iPad 4 was revealed, I suggest that there may be a difference in experience in Apps - especially games. Rather than optimize for iPad 3 at the high end, apps will be optimized iPad4 (and ipad2/mini since they have the same specs at 1024x768). The iPad3 will have a relatively small user base since it had such a short run so it will be easy to not worry as much about performance on that device down the road. Upcoming games like Balders Gate and Infinity Blade Dungeons that I have been looking forward to may not be as good an experience as it would have been had the iPad3 still been the top of the line. Understand that it may be that iPad 3 will run these just fine since they must have been targeting iPad3 for some time but as we move forward this will not be the case and that time has been moved up 5mos. It will be interesting to see what kinds of trade offs developers make but I was expecting to have the best app experience possible longer.

The bright side of all this is that the iPad 5 will likely come out earlier than it would have so those that upgrade every other generation will be happy. I really do want to be an every other gen upgrader (and my wife really really wants me to be...) so perhaps this will help me wait it out easier.

-Greg

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was caught off guard and surprised. I bought iPad 1 on first day, iPad2 when it came out, I delayed a bit and got iPad 3rd gen in June - for LTE and Retina, and now 4th Gen. Not sure if I will upgrade my 3rd Gen for a 4th Gen - my wife already thinks I buy too many toys.

But, with the tablet market so competitive, I'm glad there are frequent updates to raise the bar, the functionality and usability of tablets. Apple invented the category, so they need to push to keep in front of the others. Need to keep Samsung from copying them and catching up.

The iPad mini was more of a defensive play to offer a lower entry point and I really like the screen aspect ratio 4:3 format vs some of the Android tablets that are so wide (or narrow) depending on which way you hold it. The mini seems priced a bit high, but I guess it needed to be above the iPod Touch $299 price. At least Apple is keeping the quality high, otherwise the bar goes down and everything gets done overseas with cheap products that break. With Apple, you can get AppleCare and take it back to the store and get a replacement on the spot - great customer service.

nickb67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by nickb67

The people are the problem as much as Apple, why does everyone have to have the very latest model right now! just use the current one untill it starts to not be able to keep up with the latest apps etc. I own an Ipad 2, my buddy an Ipad 3, and I tricked him into believing my ipad 2 was a 3, the retina display only seems to be noticable to all of you who paid for it. When anyone goes into an apple store its hard to tell the difference, other than the 3 keeps your fingers warm in winter, the ipad 4 will be replaced with a 5 etc, where does it stop, but one thing for sure the apple nerds will be lining up outside store for days! (the faster the new devices get released, the less new features seem to be added, maybe people should upgrade every 3rd model)

posted reply by I_Love_Apple
Lol I agree.... Other than it is noticeable the difference of retina once you have got use to using it.

LOL you must be one of the ipad 3 owners! (dont take me too serious, humor is lacking on these forums)

Last edited:

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
nickb67 said:
posted reply by I_Love_Apple

LOL you must be one of the ipad 3 owners! (dont take me too serious, humor is lacking on these forums)

:) teehee :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When anyone goes into an apple store its hard to tell the difference, other than the 3 keeps your fingers warm in winter, the ipad 4 will be replaced with a 5 etc, where does it stop, but one thing for sure the apple nerds will be lining up outside store for days! (the faster the new devices get released, the less new features seem to be added, maybe people should upgrade every 3rd model)

That is not true. I went on there and saw a sea of jaggy screens until I got to the new iPad. The screen quality just jumps out at you. Same on the retina MBP. My gf was able to see it right off too and she shuns tech as needless.

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is not true. I went on there and saw a sea of jaggy screens until I got to the new iPad. The screen quality just jumps out at you. Same on the retina MBP. My gf was able to see it right off too and she shuns tech as needless.

Yup...screen is awesome.

Sent from Asus infinity tablet

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No surprise here. It's been rumored for a few months. I read a lot of tech stuff though.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone who has an obsolete ipad 3 is welcome to send it to me for recycling. I'll even waive the normal fee for electronics recycling.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Anyone who has an obsolete ipad 3 is welcome to send it to me for recycling. I'll even waive the normal fee for electronics recycling.

Once your truck is overloaded, send the extras to me.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:

On your way back West, drop off a couple of those obsolete iPad 3's in Fort Wayne, I have several clueless neighbors who want one.

Most reactions

Latest posts