What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five surprises from the iPad launch event

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ipad_air_79904600.jpg

The 2013 iPad launch event is long over, but you can still watch it online if you want. And if you will watch closely, you will notice a few surprises along the way. No, we are not talking about the fact that the new iPad Mini is going to be slightly bulkier but more powerful nor do we intend to surprise you with the new announced iPad Air and iPad Mini 2 smart covers and cases. Here are five things that surprised and some of them even managed to delight us:
  • new name - iPad Air is a refresh to the branding of Apple's tablets and we must agree it definitely sounds better than iPad 5. After all, some people were wondering how will we call an iPad released twenty years from now - iPad 25?
  • T-Mobile uncarrier iPad data plan - T-Mobile users will find this little treat most welcome. The carrier is giving away 200 MB of data without charge when you purchase an iPad with T-Mobile LTE built-in
  • free software and apps - Apple is a company that likes to put a premium pricing on its well-designed products. But this time we're being pleasantly surprised that OS X Mavericks is available for free even for users that are looking to upgrade from Snow Leopard. Not only that, but iWork and iLife are also free to new users on OS X and iOS.
  • old iPad 2 gets to stay - Apple decided that it can squeeze some sales from the iPad 2, making it available for $399. This the single unpleasant surprise, as you're probably going to be more interested by some discounted refurbished iPad units.
  • collaboration in iWork - iWork for iCloud will have collaboration tools like Google Docs letting multiple users edit a document in Pages, Keynote, or Numbers.
Source: 9to5Mac

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Thanks for nailing all of these additional follow-up stories Radu! Fantastic job!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like the name iPad Air rather than iPad 5, iPad 6, and so on. People WILL still call it iPad 5 like the call iPad w Retina Display
iPad 4 lol.

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC using iPF

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HeHe I told hubby to wait until the new launch to get his iPad 4. I paid off my CC just to purchase my new iPad Air. just need to pick it up at delaware store to save like 60.00 in sales tax. i hate waiting in lines but got a buyer for my iPad 1 and want this puppy- guess we will take turns in line- now, silver vs grey

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HeHe I told hubby to wait until the new launch to get his iPad 4. I paid off my CC just to purchase my new iPad Air. just need to pick it up at delaware store to save like 60.00 in sales tax. i hate waiting in lines but got a buyer for my iPad 1 and want this puppy- guess we will take turns in line- now, silver vs grey[/QUOTE

But do you live very close to Delaware? Otherwise you will spend the money in gas and travel treats :).

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HeHe I told hubby to wait until the new launch to get his iPad 4. I paid off my CC just to purchase my new iPad Air. just need to pick it up at delaware store to save like 60.00 in sales tax. i hate waiting in lines but got a buyer for my iPad 1 and want this puppy- guess we will take turns in line- now, silver vs grey[/QUOTE

But do you live very close to Delaware? Otherwise you will spend the money in gas and travel treats :).

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

Maybe an hour( 1 1/2 hour due to construction in the area) from the Apple store- We got my iMac there- you should have seen the line outside the store for the iPhone 5 last November 28th and that was over a month after they released it. Hope it won't be as bad for the Air- It does take a bit of time setting up a phone customer - contacting carrier, setting up or transferring phone #, etc. iPad, I should be able to tell them what I want ( color and mg size) hand them your payment and walk out with device- took 15 min for me to get my iMac- but I didn't have to wait in line to get in to the store.

Most reactions