What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Woppit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.usprisonertransport.com
leelai said:
I'm shocked they would take you to court over this!
I'm honestly not surprised. They would be losing a lot of money if nobody paid back the iPads after they break. But we Never agreed to pay if it was broken... I am in a hard place as a parent, it would be easy to cover up my sons actions but I feel the right thing to do is fight it.

Kids aren't ready for these devices in their hands, not until they are much harder to break.

Ill post again with how the fight goes in court.

*** U.S. Federal Prisoner Transportation Services. Director of U.S. Fed. Pr. Tr. ***

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mr.Woppit said:
I'm honestly not surprised. They would be losing a lot of money if nobody paid back the iPads after they break. But we Never agreed to pay if it was broken... I am in a hard place as a parent, it would be easy to cover up my sons actions but I feel the right thing to do is fight it.

Kids aren't ready for these devices in their hands, not until they are much harder to break.

Ill post again with how the fight goes in court.

*** U.S. Federal Prisoner Transportation Services. Director of U.S. Fed. Pr. Tr. ***

I'll be interested to know how you go with this. Maybe Apple should manufacture a sturdier iPad for schools, I'm sure others in certain employment areas would also like this. With our business we have 12 mobiles for our employees and we were having a hell of a time with dropped phones. Nokia then produced a model that can handle drops and even getting wet to a certain degree, problem solved!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

schwazche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be interested to know how you go with this. Maybe Apple should manufacture a sturdier iPad for schools, I'm sure others in certain employment areas would also like this. With our business we have 12 mobiles for our employees and we were having a hell of a time with dropped phones. Nokia then produced a model that can handle drops and even getting wet to a certain degree, problem solved!

Perhaps it would be in their best interest to put Otterboxes on the iPads before allowing the kids to use them.

Simple and moderately inexpensive....

Just my $.02.

Mr.Woppit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
schwazche said:
Perhaps it would be in their best interest to put Otterboxes on the iPads before allowing the kids to use them.

Simple and moderately inexpensive....

Just my $.02.

As far as I know the only form of protection the school had on the iPads was an invisible shield front and back. Protects well against starches but not a fall.

The otterbox would be a very wise choice. I think I'll suggest it to the school.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mr.Woppit said:
My son broke the screen on an iPad 2 at school (they use iPads in school, yes I know...) and the school asked him to replace it within a week or pay for a new iPad. I called and told them I would bring them to court before paying for a replacement. I do Not believe iPads should be in school. Teenagers are hacks and idiots. They should not have iPads paid for from the school. There is no way that a school would think that would work out... Its so dumb to me, a class of 14yr olds with $700 devices? Of course they will break them, and like they have the replacement money...
We are going to court about the matter next Tuesday.

Uhhh, isn't this a lot like any other school-issued property that a kid's family is responsible for when he/she takes it off-campus? After all, school district taxpayers essentially bought the iPads in the first place. Lose the textbook or destroy it, you pay for it. Lose the school-issued football helmet, pay for it. I remember when my sister was issued an expensive IBM Selectric typewriter (we went to HS in the early 80s) and she broke it at home. Totally nonfunctional after that. Our school sent Mom a bill for replacement but later decided to cut her a 50% break on that, realizing that was partially their fault. The lesson for them: keep the expensive stuff on-campus. After that, no more typewriters were loaned out.

iPads have their place in school and ARE the wave right now, being excellent teaching tools if implemented correctly. Until their prices drop to a couple hundred dollars or less, I would recommend any school district to keep them in-class/on-campus only, where caution and control of use can be better effected.

Anyway, good luck in your case. To be honest, I doubt the magistrate will find in your favour. But I could be surprised.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Mr.Woppit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Mtnmedic said:
Uhhh, isn't this a lot like any other school-issued property that a kid's family is responsible for when he/she takes it off-campus? After all, school district taxpayers essentially bought the iPads in the first place. Lose the textbook or destroy it, you pay for it. Lose the school-issued football helmet, pay for it. I remember when my sister was issued an expensive IBM Selectric typewriter (we went to HS in the early 80s) and she broke it at home. Totally nonfunctional after that. Our school sent Mom a bill for replacement but later decided to cut her a 50% break on that, realizing that was partially their fault. The lesson for them: keep the expensive stuff on-campus. After that, no more typewriters were loaned out.

iPads have their place in school and ARE the wave right now, being excellent teaching tools if implemented correctly. Until their prices drop to a couple hundred dollars or less, I would recommend any school district to keep them in-class/on-campus only, where caution and control of use can be better effected.

Anyway, good luck in your case. To be honest, I doubt the magistrate will find in your favour. But I could be surprised.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Yep. Lost the battle in court.
Oh well, it made me feel better to have someone kindly tell me the law rather then the idiot electronics teacher calling me and telling me I own the school a ton of money.. After everything they want either $800 (Marked up to eight bills due to taxes and the labor or ordering one online, so the court stated), or a new in box iPad 2 64GB Black. Time to search the black market. ;)

Last edited:

riotsarah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if you have to buy them a new one, does this mean you get to keep the old broken one? If the screen is just broken, $80 and you've got yourself a functioning iPad to keep/sell on, right?

Mr.Woppit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
riotsarah said:
So if you have to buy them a new one, does this mean you get to keep the old broken one? If the screen is just broken, $80 and you've got yourself a functioning iPad to keep/sell on, right?

I would get to keep the old one. And maybe I will try and fix it. Very good idea!

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
riotsarah said:

That's a great idea!

imedvy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is the product of choice in my household and has been for many years. I work on a MAC, have two Iphones, several Ipods, two original Ipads and recently brought an Ipad2 for my youngest child. I have not even had the product for a month when this occurs: My child was working on the Ipad2 and went to pass it to his brother who was on the coach next to him. It slipped out of their hands and fell less than 12 inches to the floor. Before I could get to the Ipad my youngest son picks it up and cuts his finger open on the glass. The Ipad2 was cracked in the bottom corner and the glass shattered into tiny pieces. I put the Ipad away.
I call up Apple and explain my situation. I get the most ridiculous response from a supervisor. She claims that she can not help because when the repairs department opens a box that is sent in and see a broken screen they will automatically look in the system for a credit card number. They want $269 to fix it. As if there is no way she can over ride this.
For a company that is supposed to be so great with customer service they seem to not care so much about customer safety. How do you promote a product and say that it is so great for people of all ages. Yet not take into account that your product is composed of a highly breakable substance like glass and may have accidental damage. You promote apps for young children to use with your products yet when they get injured using your product you are of no help. I would really like some resolution to this situation. I have never had any problems with your products and have always praised your customer service very highly. This time around I was extremely disappointed. Please help reinstate the faith I have had in Apple for a long time.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get the feeling that you think we are connected to Apple for some reason, but we are a private Forum in no way connected at all. Apple was at one time replacing iPads as a courtesy only but this seems to have stopped although we do hear of the odd member being extremely lucky. I say extremely lucky as I have never heard of another company doing this when the owner of the iPad is at fault. I'm sorry your children shattered the screen on your iPad and I hope your child's cut was not serious and has healed, but I can't see this as being in any way Apple's fault. The iPad is what it is, a very expensive device that needs to be handled with care. We as adults can see there is glass involved in this device which should make us even more aware of just how fragile it can be as far as who we allow to use it. Yes there are children's apps available but these come about by way of Developers and not Apple. I'm sorry I can understand how you are feeling about this and the cost that you will have to pay to have it fixed. But please do not blame Apple, as they are not responsible here. After you have your iPad fixed I suggest you buy a sturdy case for it.

Please do not duplicate your posts on the same issue as this is against Forum Rules, your other post has now been deleted.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep, all of our experiences are different and we're here sharing them. Some folks have been lucky, others not. Apple so far, in this scenario, has been approaching it purely on a case-by-case basis. They don't HAVE to replace a customer-dropped iPad, but for them to offer a new replacement at half price (plus the surrender of the broken device), let alone a free replacement-is nothing short of amazing. Few other companies do this. Try asking Ford to replace your new 2011 Mustang after your kid accidentally drove it into a pole.

Last edited:

kitkat3709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was at my nephew's house a few months ago and I saw his 7-year-old son toss his Dad's IPad across the carpeted floor because "the battery is dead". My heart almost skipped a beat.

I think putting an expensive and delicate device in the hands of kids can be a very foolish move. My nephew (the dad) was not even surprised at this and didn't correct the action. Hopefully he has very deep pockets.

Sent from my iPad2 32 3G Black :)

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kitkat3709 said:
I was at my nephew's house a few months ago and I saw his 7-year-old son toss his Dad's IPad across the carpeted floor because "the battery is dead". My heart almost skipped a beat.

I think putting an expensive and delicate device in the hands of kids can be a very foolish move. My nephew (the dad) was not even surprised at this and didn't correct the action. Hopefully he has very deep pockets.

Sent from my iPad2 32 3G Black :)

YOUR heart skipped a beat? Mine did, after reading that!

I agree with you 100%. That is, until the price of entry-level iPads goes under $150. Still....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts