What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigd1320

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to replace the glass themselves? I bought a replacement glass on eBay and am going to try to fix it myself. There are a lot of videos I'm YouTube that show how to fix it. Wish me luck!

Temp31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I broke the glass 3 weeks after I purchased my iPad 2. I made the appointment and they told me $239 to replace the unit. I might try to buy a new screen for $50 and repair it myself. If it don't work I'll try to get the refurbished one.

That is way too expensive. Might as well get someone to replace the screen for you.

wayneh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son tried replacing the screen on his iPhone 4 and it didn't work. He ended up going to local repair shop and they said the motherboard was fried. When he went to get it back they had lost the phone. What a nightmare for a 3 month old phone. Just beware.

MelvinTopaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this may be relevant to the thread. You have been hit in the face with the hard reality that our newest toy costs so much to repair that many of us can't afford to do so. I haven't had to get a repair in an iPad yet but I found with the iPhone there are lots of local (DFW METROPLEX) places that will replace parts including installation charges much cheaper than Apple. In addition they give a better warranty then Apple gives. Google iPad repair and you may save a bundle. Many years ago I had a Toshiba laptop computer I routinely carried to and from woe with me. I insured it through an online company called Safeware.com and the were responsible and had a low deductible. I insure my iPhones for $60/year with a $5o deductible per loss. I'll insure my iPad as soon as I get it. One other thing they don't require you to insure it in the first 30 days to get a policy. If interested (I don't get a cut) their number is (800) 800-1492,3043 which is number to Anthony Simons desk. I think it's worth checking out after you get this repair done. Hope it helps.

MelvinTopaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppleCare does not pay to fix damages on the iPad. It extends the original warranty.

TwinsItIs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I signed up with this forum just to post about my success story, as this thread encouraged me to take my cracked iPad 1 to an Apple store. This happened about 2 months ago. I bought the iPad in Jan, 2011. I walked in today (and had debated taking along my 5 month old twin girls) and did exactly as was written here. I showed the guy the crack and he right away said - let me see what I can do for you. I then said - I was really stupid. I showed him the photo of my twin girls (which is the wallpaper) and said - as you can see, I have twin girls and the only private time I have is in the bathroom, so I took along the iPad and set it on the ledge of the bathtub, but it fell and cracked on the ceramic floor. He said - I see, I'll see what I can do. He came back and said - unfortunately, your warranty expired 8 days ago (I thought it expired the 12th, but I guess it expired the 2nd), but as a courtesy, the manager said we'll honor it for you (note, it isn't officially covered under the warranty). He said the manager saw the photo of my girls and said - they're so cute, just give her a new one! He then went to the back to get a new one and came back saying they're out of stock, so he'll call me within 3-4 days to let me know it's in store.

I'm SO happy that they honored it and did this for me. I'm ready to buy an iPod Touch now! Does anyone know if I'll be getting an iPad 1 or iPad 2? Do they even have iPad 1's once the 2 came in?

Thanks for all your posts, as this helped me actually take this step to get the problem resolved!

Esther

jmlampert23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought mine at best buy. I also had their warranty coverage. I broke the screen on mine walked right in and they game me a new one. No questions asked

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm SO happy that they honored it and did this for me. I'm ready to buy an iPod Touch now! Does anyone know if I'll be getting an iPad 1 or iPad 2? Do they even have iPad 1's once the 2 came in?

Thanks for all your posts, as this helped me actually take this step to get the problem resolved!

Yes they were still selling them when the ipad 2 came out and I would think you will still get an ipad1

jmlampert23 said:
I bought mine at best buy. I also had their warranty coverage. I broke the screen on mine walked right in and they game me a new one. No questions asked

Thank you both for posting your success here. It gives those that come after you that extra bit of hope.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

lorddon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A non success story here. My wife received an iPad2 32gb as a performance award through her employer. Neither of us are Mac people at all but we both had to admit we were impressed with it and have been enjoying it. It's more responsive than my nook color and the screen is great for reading comic books.

Yesterday, while fumbling for my keys to get into the house, I dropped it face down on the porch. We've had it six months (I'm not sure if that's what made the difference) and I kicked myself. I posted about my woes on FB and a couple friends mentioned they had their devices replaced without issue. I found this forum in my search to verify this and thought I'd give it a shot myself. If it was true Apple may have made a new customer out of me.

I went to the closest Apple Store at Fashion Place Mall in Murray, UT, and they told me it would be an hour wait for the genius bar. So I hung around for an hour, went back and before talking to anyone else they let me know they couldn't just replace the screen, that my device cost $700, that they didn't expect me to pay full price aaaaand.... that they would charge me $350 to replace the unit.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll spend $80 and replace it myself and go back to considering Apple's products overpriced.

Last edited:

jets67117

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I dropped my ipad 2 and cracked two corners on the screen, but the touch screen still works. I took it to the Apple store and the told me I would have to buy a new ipad 2 for half price.?!

Does anyone know anything about "one-time courtesy replacement" ? If so, could you tell me how I could get that service??

Thank you!! :)

TwinsItIs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my new iPad 1, a 16g, which is what I had. Lorddon, why don't you try what others suggested? Try different apple stores?

Mr.Woppit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.usprisonertransport.com
My son broke the screen on an iPad 2 at school (they use iPads in school, yes I know...) and the school asked him to replace it within a week or pay for a new iPad. I called and told them I would bring them to court before paying for a replacement. I do Not believe iPads should be in school. Teenagers are hacks and idiots. They should not have iPads paid for from the school. There is no way that a school would think that would work out... Its so dumb to me, a class of 14yr olds with $700 devices? Of course they will break them, and like they have the replacement money...
We are going to court about the matter next Tuesday.

*** U.S. Federal Prisoner Transportation Services. Director of U.S. Fed. Pr. Tr. ***

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mr.Woppit said:
My son broke the screen on an iPad 2 at school (they use iPads in school, yes I know...) and the school asked him to replace it within a week or pay for a new iPad. I called and told them I would bring them to court before paying for a replacement. I do Not believe iPads should be in school. Teenagers are hacks and idiots. They should not have iPads paid for from the school. There is no way that a school would think that would work out... Its so dumb to me, a class of 14yr olds with $700 devices? Of course they will break them, and like they have the replacement money...
We are going to court about the matter next Tuesday.

*** U.S. Federal Prisoner Transportation Services. Director of U.S. Fed. Pr. Tr. ***

I have wondered what would happen in this situation. And now here it is. I think it's a great idea in theory to have them in the classroom but put it in practice and it is fraught with problems, ipads are just not sturdy enough for kids. Kids are kids especially at school. I'm shocked they would take you to court over this!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts