What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning the i pad

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there anything we shouldn't use to clean our I pads?

I have been using my home made windex. Just alcohol and water. With a paper towel then finish off with a microfiber cloth

spaced

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just use the screen cloth that came with my iPad. No liquids or wipes just the cloth and it works a treat. Leaves no residue or streaks like wipes do.

Svenster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
spaced said:
I just use the screen cloth that came with my iPad. No liquids or wipes just the cloth and it works a treat. Leaves no residue or streaks like wipes do.

Hmmmm, I didn't get a screen cloth with my ipad2. :-(

spaced

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Svenster said:

Wow....things like that make no sense! Cmon apple, wake up!

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cleaning instructions from user's guide:

From page 35:

Cleaning iPad

To clean iPad, unplug all cables and turn of iPad (press and hold the Sleep/ Wake
button, then slide the onscreen slider). Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid
getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol
sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. The iPad screen has an
oleophobic coating; simply wipe the screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil
left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with
normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish
its effect and may scratch your screen.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh dear, been using baby wipes for nine months. It lives, it works, it cleans and smells fresh.....

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't use Windex or any other cleaners. Apple claims that the use of cleaners over time will wear of the special coating off the glass.

Use a woven microfiber cloth used for cleaning lenses. Apple has them for a lot of money, or you can find the same thing at Rite Aid Pharmacy in their eyeglass cleaning department for about $5.

Gently wipe and/or blow away any large grit from the screen, then gently wipe the fingerprints off with the cloth waded up. Shake out the cloth frequently and wash it every so often. The glass cleans very easily with no damage.

I bought 6 or 7 cloths and keep them everywhere I usually use my iPad.

Reaction score
The cloth that came with my wife's Apple cover is the same thing as my Oakley and Tifosi sunglasses use, a fake silk microfiber weave.
For cleaning mine beyond what the cloth will do I use a damp paper towel. A clean piece of fleece will work in a pinch

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh dear, been using baby wipes for nine months. It lives, it works, it cleans and smells fresh.....

I use wet wipes, too. (But I also have a screen protector, so I'm actually cleaning that, rather than the oleophobic-coated glass itself.)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Svenster said:

Me either. Got mine in May 10 so maybe they were rushed LOL. I have plenty of lens microfiber cloths, same thing though.

Diane

geep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any thoughts on ZEISS brand lens cleaning wipes avaiable at WalMart? They contain alcoho since they feel cool when opened and evaporate quickly ....

Most reactions

Latest posts