What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning the i pad

toughguy4u

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid
getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol
sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. The iPad screen has an
oleophobic coating; simply wipe the screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil
left by your hands.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May I assume that it is safe to wash the screen with a wet cloth? Obviously just the screen, not any of the buttons/edges.

I used to use a soft, damp cotton cloth. Cleaning took forever as the fingerprints just smeared around. Try a dry microfiber cloth made for this kind of cleaning. Fingerprints practically disappear as you gently rub the screen. And the screen has no oily residue after cleaning.

You only need a touch of moisture for cleaning when you have spots of stuff on the screen other than fingerprints. The "haw" technique with microfiber works really well! :)

Aladyleyna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh shoot, I didn't know about the special coating! I used to use a LCD cleaning solution at least 3 times per day, as well as a microfiber cloth, so I guess I'll just stick to the microfiber cloth and use the spray only for emergencies.

But just wondering though, what exactly is the purpose of the special coating?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Aladyleyna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I see... Thanks! I also heard that it's supposed to be fingerprint resistant as well.

But I guess I'll just stick to the micro-fiber cloth for now.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just use the screen cloth that came with my iPad. No liquids or wipes just the cloth and it works a treat. Leaves no residue or streaks like wipes do.

I did not get any screen cloth withnmy ipad1 , however i did with the apple ipad case and thenscreen protector

Nonie3234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the cloth that came with my eyeglasses. If I need it to be a tad "moist" (cause I got jelly on it or whatever) I just breath on it a little to make some fog. That's it! It's as clean as if it were new!

Dlh1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you need to wet the microfiber cloth a little just use distilled water. Do not use any expense cleaners. You can use the same technique on a plasma/LCD tv.

Most reactions