What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging Problem

sandman1318

iPF Noob
Reaction score
About half the time I plug in my iPad to charge it, it doesn't charge although it appears to be charging. I say "appears" because when I connect the cable to the iPad, it makes the charging sound and also the battery icon changes to the way it looks when it's charging. Yet the percentage number just stays at what it was when I first connected the cable. I tried switching USB cables but the problem persists. Any suggestions? Thanks.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you are charging your iPad on your computer, with USB cable? There really isn't enough power to charge that way, although, it does charge very slowly. It's best to use the provided docking cable that came with it and plug into a wall socket.

OP
S

sandman1318

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you are charging your iPad on your computer, with USB cable? There really isn't enough power to charge that way, although, it does charge very slowly. It's best to use the provided docking cable that came with it and plug into a wall socket.

No, I DO have it plugged into an outlet. I apologize for not being more specific. Thanks for the reply.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using the adapter that came with ipad or something different? Some adapters do not put out enough power so you get the slow charge.

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

OP
S

sandman1318

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using the adapter that came with ipad or something different? Some adapters do not put out enough power so you get the slow charge.

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm using the adapter that came with the iPad. Once again, this problem only happens about half the time. The rest of the time, it charges just fine. Also, I've had the iPad since the day it came out but this intermittent problem just began recently. It really has me baffled.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sandman:

I can't give you any help ... just knowledge that you are not alone. I, too, have that intermittent charging problem. I don't know what causes it either. I've tried every combo of charging: the supplied cord or 6 ft cord coupled with the Apple-provided charger, turning it off first, leaving it one...

It's just that, every now and then, the Apple logo does not quit and the iPad does not charge.

Very odd behavior I can't explain that doesn't happen very often - but it has happened often enough to caused me to always look and ensure the iPad is charging correctly (I charge every night and so I look every night).

So, no cure from me. But, shared sympathy okay?

Marilyn

P.S. My iPad is stock ... no jailbreak.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys have a year's warranty. I would be taking my iPad into Apple for a physical.:D

I can't have anything wrong. But that is just me.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is crucial that the connector is seating squarely and firmly in the bottom of the iPad or goofy things can happen. I think one of the issues could be the smaller plug on the docking cable (on the left side). iPods used to come with a bigger plug and I think it is easier to use --

ipad55.jpg

The problem from what I understand, was that the plug locks in to place and you have to squeeze the sides in order to release it --

ipad59.jpg

I think some people were forcing the plug out of the connector and causing damage to their iPod/iPhone which is why they went to the new style. I wish I could find more of the "old style" cables.

OP
S

sandman1318

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one of those "old style" cables which I use exclusively to charge my iPhone. I guess the next step would be to try using that cable to charge the iPad. Then, if I still have the problem, I'll consider taking it in for service. Thanks for the replies!

mrbrift

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have this problem. Mains charging. Proper iPad charger. Sometimes OK sometimes not. Wondering if the mains voltage varies and that affects it? Or more likely an app is running and using up loads of juice??

Most reactions