What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd charging pattern - depending on the current charge

stephenjd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the original iPad 64Gb, with 2 original Apple iPad mains charging cables/plugs, plus an array of third party cables (non Apple verified) that I use plugged into my PCs (home and at work).

Before iOS5 I didnt have any problems charging with either the two Apple cables plugged into the mains, or the third party cables plugged into the computers (trickle charging).

However since the upgrade to iOS5 I am having problems with the Apple cables. If I plug in when the iPad charge is below about 25%, I get the standard 'Charging is not support with this accessory message', and I have to go and trickle charge on the computer. Once above 25% or so, I get the 'Not charging' message when plugged into the Apple cables, but the iPad does trickle charge. Once charged to around 60%, I can disconnect the cable and when reconnected the Apple cables work properly. It is very odd.

I have done a system restore/re-install but that makes no difference.

I know Apple have an update to iOS5 in beta that addresses some charging issues, but until that is released was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Stephen

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too, have not heard of these particular problems. As you'll be aware there have been reported issues with rapid battery discharge using iOS5 which, as you suggest, are going to be addressed in the next OS update.

But your problem sounds different. While I don't have any solutions, I'm subscribing to this thread to see what ideas other Members might have.

Tim

kingnba6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i face a similar problem. on my ipad i can connect it to a non apple charger and it will charge slowly. i then connect it to a apple charger and works. and sometimes when i connect to a usb powered hub it charges fine and others it does not. i have learned that having a long wire can be a problem. if you charge thru a computer a lot look into ASUS Ai Charger - Quick charge your iPod, iPhone and even iPad!

if you charge from a lot of different places like hubs, laptops, work places or and other usb place look into buying Amazon.com: USB Charging/ Charger Adapter for Apple iPAD 2/ iPad2/ iPad - Allows you to charge your iPad with any computer or USB hub + Free Stripes Stars Silicone Wristband: Cell Phones & Accessories

both sloved my problem. with the product in the second link i can charge my ipad from anything that has usb (tvs, cable boxes, cars, ps3, computer anything basically.)

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kingnba6 said:
i face a similar problem. on my ipad i can connect it to a non apple charger and it will charge slowly. i then connect it to a apple charger and works. and sometimes when i connect to a usb powered hub it charges fine and others it does not. i have learned that having a long wire can be a problem. if you charge thru a computer a lot look into ASUS Ai Charger - Quick charge your iPod, iPhone and even iPad!

if you charge from a lot of different places like hubs, laptops, work places or and other usb place look into buying Amazon.com: USB Charging/ Charger Adapter for Apple iPAD 2/ iPad2/ iPad - Allows you to charge your iPad with any computer or USB hub + Free Stripes Stars Silicone Wristband: Cell Phones & Accessories

both sloved my problem. with the product in the second link i can charge my ipad from anything that has usb (tvs, cable boxes, cars, ps3, computer anything basically.)

Hi,

Thanks for the links to that little iPad dongle charging thing, lol

Regards,
Chays

kingnba6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to this day i still do not know the proper name for it. i just search for ipad usb adapter.

but i bought 2 of them. i keep one on my apple cable i carry with me and i keep one at home.
it works great and i am happy that i bought it. i hardly ever use my offical apple wall plug anymore.

Most reactions

Latest posts