What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charger cord failures??

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Over the last 10 days it seems 2 of the 4 charger cords I had failed.

Two came with the devices and two came with 3rd party wall / car charger combo units.

It looks like the the that failed were the original Apple cords. The chargers still work but the cords themselves seemed to have failed.

They are always plugged an unplugged using the connector and not yanking on the cord itself.

Anyone else ran into something similar?

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes , I wrote about it in either IPad discussions or Off Topic! It tells you what I did to fix it. You should be able to put iPad cable problems into search and it hopefully will take you there. If not touch my avatar and look at my posts because I only posted it in the last two days. GOOD luck! squib :)

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As to what I said in the previous post in this thread, don't count on the wire and electrical tape as a long term solution! Mine lasted a couple of weeks and then DIED!! No amount of twisting, turning, taping and wiring will bring it back to life. I too, like you, have had and am having better luck with non-apple cords! The retractable seems to be the best solution for me! That's MHO!

Man plans. God laughs.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Over the last 10 days it seems 2 of the 4 charger cords I had failed.
Two came with the devices and two came with 3rd party wall / car charger combo units.
It looks like the the that failed were the original Apple cords. The chargers still work but the cords themselves seemed to have failed.
They are always plugged an unplugged using the connector and not yanking on the cord itself.
Anyone else ran into something similar?

Hi Blue92 - sorry for your troubles w/ these 'cables' - one would think that the most reliable link between a power charger & a device would be the cable, but obviously not true for you! At the moment, I've not had any major issues w/ 'cables' but in reviewing a lot of posts on Amazon over the years, the 'cheaper' cables can be an issue; HOWEVER, you seem to be describing the better ones offered by Apple - don't have an answer for you but just wanted to acknowledge your problem and follow subsequent posts - Dave :)

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The cheap retractable one i bought after the two APPLE cord's died is still doing GREAT! No more flickering on the screen and I can always wake up in the morning ( or if I'm still awake ) I can trust it will be charged to 100%!

Man plans. God laughs.
Love and Beloved.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems with the Apple cords or the three non-Apple thinner cords I have, but I have a Griffin 3 meter cord that worries me. It is a durable cord, but that makes it both heavy and stiff and I worry it will cause physical damage to my 30 pin connector on the iPad with continual stresses. I lay it out very carefully and support it to try and prevent this from happening.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems with the Apple cords or the three non-Apple thinner cords I have, but I have a Griffin 3 meter cord that worries me. It is a durable cord, but that makes it both heavy and stiff and I worry it will cause physical damage to my 30 pin connector on the iPad with continual stresses. I lay it out very carefully and support it to try and prevent this from happening.

That is really smart of you! I found that just the regular Apple cord that came with my ipad was starting to fall out easily because I spent TOO much time using it while it was plugged in! Is there a way you could tape a popsicle stick or tongue depressor onto the back of your ipad so it is half on the ipad and half on the cord? I bet if you did that you will find out how heavy it is! Because if the tape keeps coming off you will know for sure it's pulling on the pins! It's too bad Apple didn't make a deeper port so the pins would be more protected! I know people who use 15' cords to hook up to the HDMI port and watch stuff on their TV's. One guy i know even uses the ipad in his lap while watching the TV screen as his ipad screen! I haven't asked him how he manages to do that without bending the pins. Next time i talk to him I will definitely be asking him though!

Man plans. God laughs. :D
Love and Beloved.

Most reactions

Latest posts