What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I pad 2 shows it is charging, but it isn't (help!)

mrgolf30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the batteries replaced in two I pad 2's yesterday. One charged fine, and the other one will not go above 40%.

I am using the original wall charger and cable that came with the I pad for charging. I plug it in like always, and it shows it is charging by the green light on the display.

When I plug the charger in the I pad comes on. After many hours it is still showing only 40% charged. This is where it was when I got it back from the guy that changed the battery.

I unplugged the charger and restarted the I pad hoping it would show a higher battery percentage, but it didn't.

Any ideas what could be the problem and how to fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try running the battery all the way down until the iPad goes into low power shutdown, then let it charge for at least 6 -8 hours. This may help recalibrate the battery percentage indicator so it indicates the true charge level.

Last edited:
OP
M

mrgolf30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will try that. It has been charging for 6 hours, and it has gone down from 40% to 38%. It doesn't appear to really be charging at all. It just appears that it is.

Any other ideas?

OP
M

mrgolf30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I am charging with the same charger and same cable that charge two of my other pads.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you connect your iPad to the charger do you get the chime sound that you normally hear when connecting to the charger? Does the charge indicator appear in the battery symbol at the top right of the screen? When you connect the iPad to itunes on your computer, is it recognised?

OP
M

mrgolf30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I get that. The battery symbol at the top right turns green like it is charging, but it isn't the percentage is coming down over time. I haven't tried to connect to Itunes just the charger.

OP
M

mrgolf30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also just connected to Itunes on my computer, and it was recognized. It just will not accept a charge. The guy put new batteries in this one and another one yesterday. The other one charged fine. All I can think of is this must be a bad battery. Your thoughts?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also just connected to Itunes on my computer, and it was recognized. It just will not accept a charge. The guy put new batteries in this one and another one yesterday. The other one charged fine. All I can think of is this must be a bad battery. Your thoughts?
It's quite possible that the battery is bad although some simple testing would have shown your repair guy that the battery wasn't charging. Does he guarantee his work? It's also possible that the charging connections were damaged when the battery was replaced.

OP
M

mrgolf30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay my 13 year old just got home from school and told me for the past year the only way she could charge this pad was to turn it off after you plug the charger in. I have the pad with me at work, and I told her that when I turn it off and install the charger cable it turns the Ipad on.

She said yes that is true, but she then will have to turn it off after the cable has been installed or else it would not charge. I am trying it her way and will report back soon.

If this works what would cause it to be like this. On my other two pads you plug the charger up and it charges with it on or off. Any ideas?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be a hardware issue as the iPad is supposed to charge while on or off.
If possible, take it to the Genius Bar at the closest Apple Store to have a full diagnostic done. They should be able to give you a good idea of why it only charges while turned off. Bring along the charger and cable as well.

Last edited:
OP
M

mrgolf30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying it her way now. I had no idea this is the way it has been charging for the past year. I hope this will work.

OP
M

mrgolf30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It still will not charge. I am currently backing it up via I Tunes. I guess I need to do a restore. This I pad 2 currently has version 7.1 (11D167). I thought about upgrading to ios 8.1.3, but it is telling me the update can't be installed because it requires at least 1.4 GB of storage.

What should I do here? I just want to be able to charge the battery.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am trying it her way now. I had no idea this is the way it has been charging for the past year. I hope this will work.

This sounds like the charger is not supplying enough current. When you said you were using the same charger did you mean you are using the same charger that works with the other iPad, or the same charger that was used with that iPad before?

If the second, try the charger and cable that has proven to work with the other iPad.

OP
M

mrgolf30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the same wall charger that I have been using for the last year to charge all 3 of my Ipad 2's. It works on all of them, but this one.

Most reactions