What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot send emails

bustoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm connected to a friend's Wi-Fi and have been unable to send emails. I get error message saying "Sender rejected by server". My IPAD2 is brand new and I haven't tried sending emails from my own home yet. I've tried the "reboot" solution and that did not work. Are there any other things I can try? This is really frustrating. BTW, I have Comcast and Gmail both set up on my IPAD with Comcast as the "default". I've double checked my settings and they are all OK. Help!

Reaction score
The first step in identifying the problem would be to determine, whether you cannot send any emails, or only not from Comcast. So have you tried sending emails from the gmail account?

When writing an email, tap on the Cc/Bcc and select the gmail account.

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm connected to a friend's Wi-Fi and have been unable to send emails. I get error message saying "Sender rejected by server". My IPAD2 is brand new and I haven't tried sending emails from my own home yet. I've tried the "reboot" solution and that did not work. Are there any other things I can try? This is really frustrating. BTW, I have Comcast and Gmail both set up on my IPAD with Comcast as the "default". I've double checked my settings and they are all OK. Help!

Have you tried sending from the Gmail Web, not the client on the iPad to see if you get rejections from there as well? Also, have you followed these instructions?

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check your "outgoing pop3 server", make sure that it, and the port are correct.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This could be the infamous 'Port 25 relay' problem. Some service providers will not allow their email servers to be used for outgoing mail if that request did not originate from their own network. This is because, for Port 25 mail, there is no authentication required and so the service provider cannot be certain that you are who you say you are. Although incoming mail - POP - requires a password, the 'fathers' of the Internet, when they put together the protocols for outgoing mail, did not consider that a password would be required for outgoing mail. After all, you need access to your own secure surface mail letterbox to be able to retrieve your paper letters, but anyone can drop an envelope into a mailbox.

But there have been many instances of people sending emails claiming to be a person they were not and so most service providers will not allow sending of emails from their server if the person sending is not logged into their home network. So the first test is to see whether you can send from your home network. If you can, then it's the Port 25 relay problem and there are ways around this, so get back to us.

If you can't send from your home network, then it's likely one of the problems discussed by the other posters.

Tim

OP
B

bustoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK...guess I should have triple checked my outgoing settings. :eek: I didn't go down enuf levels into the SMTP settings. When I did, I found that the user ID and password had not been included during the setup process. It was completed for the Gmail account, but not for the Comcast account. I also changed the port setting to the same that was on my smartphone and now all seems to be working well. Got another question that I will pose on a new topic!
Thanks for the replies.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed - there sure are a lot of hidden levels in the email setup!! Looking forward to your next problem.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts