What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calendar

OP
G

grabbit97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not understanding what you folks are talking about
Sorry

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grabbit97 said:
I am not understanding what you folks are talking about
Sorry

When you setup your google calendar, did you use the Microsoft Exchange or the Gmail option on the new account screen? There's an issue where some accounts only fully sync calendars if used as an exchange account, others only if you used the gmail account type (it mostly affects olde gmail accounts)

Another way of asking: are your contacts syncing with your gmail account or is it syncing notes?

OP
G

grabbit97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
joeyteel said:
When you setup your google calendar, did you use the Microsoft Exchange or the Gmail option on the new account screen? There's an issue where some accounts only fully sync calendars if used as an exchange account, others only if you used the gmail account type (it mostly affects olde gmail accounts)

Another way of asking: are your contacts syncing with your gmail account or is it syncing notes?

I am syncing with Gmail account for contacts, although I notice that my android phone has some added contacts that the iPad contact list does not have.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depending on how you set it up, the iPad is either syncing with the My Contacts or All Contacts group. It's possible the missing contacts are in All Contacts and not My Contacts which would cause that :)'

For your calendars try this:

Disable calendar syncing for the exchange account then go through the process of adding a new account using the gmail option. Make sure to only leave the calendars option enabled. When you finish the process, go to https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect and make sure all the calendars you want to sync are checked and click save.

After that, open the calendar app and make sure all your events are listed. If it works, you should be all set. If not, you'll have to get help from google because the problem will be on their end.

I actually use the above setup with my account, except I have my mail and notes synced that way and use exchange for the contacts only :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .Disable calendar syncing for the exchange account then go through the process of adding a new account using the gmail option. Make sure to only leave the calendars option enabled. When you finish the process, go to https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect and make sure all the calendars you want to sync are checked and click save.

After that, open the calendar app and make sure all your events are listed. If it works, you should be all set. If not, you'll have to get help from google because the problem will be on their end. . .

I did this, (mostly because I started tasting a hint of foot right after my original response to your post ;) ). I just want to add that it took a little while before the newly selected calendars started to show up; five to ten minutes if I remember correctly. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't seem to work immediately.

OP
G

grabbit97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still do not understand...create a NEW account...what about my account now that I use?
Sorry...I just don't understand

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You aren't really creating a new GMail account. You're just accessing it using a different method.

Three of the most used email services/servers/protocols are POP3, IMAP, and Exchange. Each protocol has its strengths and weaknesses. Google supports all three. What we are suggesting is that you create a new account on the iPad that accesses your (same) GMail account using the IMAP servers, and shut off everything except the calendar for that account. (and shut off calendars in your Exchange account)

Think of it as using two different vehicles to go to the same store. Most of the time you'd like to use the car, because it has some nice features like air conditioning; but when it comes time to pickup some fence posts, the truck makes more sense.

In this case, we're saying that maybe the truck would do a better job of getting the calendars. It's worth a try.

OP
G

grabbit97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It worked!!!
I stopped calendar in the exchange account...and made a new account with same account name, and turned just calendar on for it.....the calendar now goes back five years!!!

Now how do I get my android phone to go back that far....
Thank you!!!

OP
G

grabbit97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you....my android phone is not syncing backward more than one month.

OP
G

grabbit97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grabbit97 said:
I thank you, I am checking them out.

Now my calendar in the iPad won't sync at all with google calendar?
Any ideas?
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not done so, try turning it off under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; the Account. Visit the Calendar app to force it to clear the date, then turn it back on.

Most reactions