What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying Accessories on Amazon and Ebay.

McTablet_T2C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would love to hear from people what they like and dont like or Pros and Cons about shopping for iPad Accessories on Amazon and Ebay ?

Maybe issues such as: Security, Delivery times, Selection, Pictures, Reviews, Fakes, Refunds
Or really anything that come to mind.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've bought most of my accessories from either eBay or Amazon...cheaper, more selections & variety...plus Paypal protects you from fraudulent sellers. I started doing it with my android tabs because I couldn't find anything locally...

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I don't know why, but I have stayed away from ebay for many years now.

Amazon is great and they have great prices.

I had amazon prime for a while and it was great to have next day shipping for like $2.

The reviews are generaly good and informative if you are able to pick out the people who give bad ratings just because its an error on their part or they are not technical enough to use the products and just give bad ratings for it.

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Typically... Both.. last year was a lot of amazon though because I did their promo student membership for free for a year. Although I still am a student I didn't want to pay the annual $39... Got to admit though the standard free 2day shipping and $3.99 next day was an awesome perk.

Reviews are nice to see on amazon.. but typically I already know what I'm going to get and did my countless hours of research ahead of time. So it really comes down to where I can get it for the cheapest total price.

The amazon $25 standard free ship is nice but can be frustrating to wait for. Sometimes they just send it by ground or usps regular mail or smart post - which is just dumb as hell. If you don't know what smart post is; it initially gets shipped via UPS or Fedex ground then gets transferred to usps and deliver by regular mail. Takes soooo long.

Amazon has a good return policy. 30 days, never really had any problems. If I did, which I have - small issues, I just call and talk to a rep. Gets handled on the spot.

I'm a huge ebayer as well. I always buy from distributors/sellers who have high sell counts and good feedback score. Shipping is pretty quick. Although with eBay I go into the purchase with the expectation as; I'm going to buy it and I will not be able to return it.

I just don't like dealing with returns on eBay. Although the seller has a high rating and good feedback sometimes they are just slow to deal with. Plus some bogus garbage like 15% restocking fee... Amazon you don't have to deal with that (I always buy from amazon or a company fulfilled by amazon).

I rarely... Rarely ever buy anything used from someone. It will always be new-NIB.

paypal for eBay.. which is pretty much the standard..

CC for anywhere else online.

If I don't feel like waiting... I'll just buy it retail and figure out a way to do a price match; if I can find a competitor selling the item for cheaper.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Amazon a lot, without probs. If they were probs, I trust that its customer service would take care of me.

I avoid eBay because it's sketchy, and I don't know what kind of CS I'll get.

OP
M

McTablet_T2C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must say that i do shop on amazon and sometimes on ebay, but if i researched a product and found it on some other (non amazon ebay) site and they seem ok i would buy from them.

I have dealt with online selling, and many small companies feel they stand little chance against these giants. they do try to provide extra value is all sorts of ways, lots of the times people just do the research online then buy the thing from amazon. i do understand this and that is life kind of thing, but afraid that one day we will live in a world dominated soly by these giants.

MelvinTopaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I research most products locally and on the manufacturers website. I also review video reviews and product demos on uTube.

When I'm finally satisfied I know the item I want I check prices on Amazon and Craigslist. Amazon almost always wins out with the lowest price and offers excellent customer service.

I have purchased on Craigslist but don't relish meeting unknown people with a wad of cash on hand.

eBay has been okay on the few occasions I've used them. Delivery has proven slow so I generally stear clear.

Valkrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mainly use eBay. Amazon have a wierd poilcy for a lot of their stuff in Europe, won't ship to your location is the usual issue. I have made many eBay purchases from suppliers all over the world without issue, occasionally items have not arrived as quickly as I would like but IF I want something that promptly I can always pay a premium and buy locally. For instance I bought my CCK from Hong Kong for $6 including shipping, it arrived in 16 days (they quoted 15-20) and it works exactly the same as my sons £25 one that he bought form the Apple store, mine has the advantage of being one connector with both SD card slot and USB connector whereas he has to have 2 to do the same job.

henryhenry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will say I purchase most of the staff on Amazon since I have the Prime and it's pretty quick.
But for some items, it all depends. Sometimes the local or other online retailers have a cheaper price or better reputation.
Just google it~

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No one mentioned Craigslist. If you are savvy you can't beat the prices there.

"Post are better with pictures ".

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must say that i do shop on amazon and sometimes on ebay, but if i researched a product and found it on some other (non amazon ebay) site and they seem ok i would buy from them.

I have dealt with online selling, and many small companies feel they stand little chance against these giants. they do try to provide extra value is all sorts of ways, lots of the times people just do the research online then buy the thing from amazon. i do understand this and that is life kind of thing, but afraid that one day we will live in a world dominated soly by these giants.

I'm wary of buying from small online companies partly because of uncertain CS, and because I'm careful with credit info. When I do buy from small sources, I pay via PayPal. Otherwise, there's no chance they're getting my business.

OP
M

McTablet_T2C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm wary of buying from small online companies partly because of uncertain CS, and because I'm careful with credit info. When I do buy from small sources, I pay via PayPal. Otherwise, there's no chance they're getting my business.

I think any small company that wants to sell should have Paypal integrated, otherwise lose business. In our site we accept only Paypal for example. What annoys me that lots of people come read reviews. find the case they like based on the information we provide, then go buy if on Amazon or Ebay for like 5$ less. Internet is a cruel market place, anyone is a click and a half away from anywhere else. :) Like i mentioned before i think if this kinda of things continues , Amazon and Ebay and lets say Walmart would be the only stores out there. wouldn't that be sad...

My monday morning rant. ;-)

boomer1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have purchased many things from Amazon over the years with no issues. I have had to return a couple of items, due to wrong size, etc. The refund process was painless. The customer service has been very good. I have had no problems with security, delivery is dependent on the delivery service selected, selection is usually good, reviews can be helpful, have had no problems with fakes.

I avoid "e-prey."

YMMV

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think any small company that wants to sell should have Paypal integrated, otherwise lose business. In our site we accept only Paypal for example. What annoys me that lots of people come read reviews. find the case they like based on the information we provide, then go buy if on Amazon or Ebay for like 5$ less. Internet is a cruel market place, anyone is a click and a half away from anywhere else. :) Like i mentioned before i think if this kinda of things continues , Amazon and Ebay and lets say Walmart would be the only stores out there. wouldn't that be sad...

My monday morning rant. ;-)

I read reviews, but I've never found it helpful to read reviews on mom-and-pop websites (no offense to yours, which I've not used). I use Amazon reviews because they're generally robust. I don't mind paying a few bucks more if I buy stuff in person at a brick-and-mortar joint in my area, because I want to support local businesses. What I generally avoid is buying from small businesses online, because I don't want to deal with the possible hassle of return and exchange, or hunting down something that doesn't arrive. I've often paid several bucks more to go with Amazon, specifically because I know its service is reliable.

Most reactions