What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Mess with IPAD 2 and best buy

vinnan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bought an ipad 2 32GB from Best Buy store's Customer Service Desk today (11th march, 2011). I was told that a customer just returned an ipad 2 32GB so it was made available to us at 19:23 hrs on the day of its release (awesome? Nope, AWEFUL). I went home, removed the wrapper and opened the box that had ipad older version in it and NOT ipad 2.
I rushed to the Best Buy store from which I bought it at around 20:00 hrs,
They said the guy who returned it had given it with seal which the lady at the service desk testifies it to be "Apple Seal" from her experience. They said we switched it with ipad older version in 30 mins not considering the fact that it has been returned by their previous customer and he could have switched it.
As a result we are losing money and product, which I do not need

Questions we asked,
1. How could we ever trust you? Do you want us to open the pack right at the store when we buy stuff?
Answered by Sales Manager: 'Yes! you probably should open it right here'

2. Do we pay for YOUR fraud customer?
Answered by Sales Manager: 'Yes! because you opened the box and we don't know who switched it'
Answered by another lady (I suppose a rep): 'our previous customer is not a fraud because he had returned with good seal and I could totally say it was genuine. I don't know if could say this, but he returned it because he bought it for his friend who couldn't pay'

3. Are we stuck with this then? Do I have a solution?
Answered by Sales Manager: 'you can talk to Apple. they are reputed and will consider your complaint because this is not the previous customer's fraud return - If you believe you have not switched it'

4. I just bought it from best buy and i'm back here in 30 mins. Are you saying I switched it?
All of them: 'we can't do anything about it. Talk to the manufacturer'.

Experience: The lady Service Rep was rude and was arguing that the customer who returned was genuine only because of the transparent wrap. When I came home and checked out the wrap - it was one of the cheapest plastic material that Mr. Jobs would laugh at. And of course my husband didn't realize it while opening it and I did not bother to touch it and feel it when I was expecting a brand new ipad 2 in a neat white box.
I am sure the lady who argued about it wouldn't have agreed with us about the wrap because we could have switched that too. This makes me feel that she definitely has her HAND in it or she doesn't like brown skinned like me. May be she doesn't want to accept her fault for not having checked it properly when
SHE received the return and believed the story of her fraud customer.

i need help What can i do

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep going up higher in the BestBuy chain which probably means their corporate office.

Best Buy Corporate Office
7601 Penn Ave.
South Richfield, MN 55423
(612)291-1000

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, I don't even know what to say about that, but that's horrible. Guess they don't call it "worst buy" for nothing. I thought it was just our local BB that was so bad. Hope you can get it resolved.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And this is why you NEVER buy apple products from best buy!!!

BTW, there is no such thing as an Apple Seal. The box is shrink wrapped and when you open it the device is wrapped in plastic...thats it.

They are obviously lying and are negligent.

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Point taken that's why I ordered mines online. From apple.com

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Buy has some of the worst customer service in the industry. Hopefully they'll soon suffer the same fate as Circuit City.

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This makes me mad. Hopefully it works out for you.

Pvanosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lesson learned: if buying a 'returned item', ALWAYS check the content of the box before paying or at least before leaving the store...

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some thoughts....

Go back to Best Buy and call the police. A crime has occurred and you are the victim.

Calmly explain that that is what you have to do with the BB manager. If that doesn't work ask for regional manager. Calmly explain that if you were a thief you would not be calling the police. Explain you intend to call the local news media who would love to report on this during the release of the iPad 2.

If you paid by CC explain you will call bank and demand a chargeback.

Explain by not following up with the original "purchaser" (thief) they are allowing the crime to go unpunished.

Explain that if all else fails you will be filing complaints with your state's Attorney General, local congressional representative, consumer affairs, better business bureau, social networking, and any others you can think of.

Don't give up.

Michael

Last edited:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Oh my god. Where was this located? I will do everything in my power to make sure this gets noticed on the BB employee line as well as the higher ups. This should not have happened and..wow...I'm speechless. My mobile store would NEVER treat a customer like this, and if they did, they'd be fired on the spot. I can't believe this....but I have heard stories of other best buys treating customers horridly. BAH. Well, like I said I will see what I can do.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some thoughts....

Go back to Best Buy and call the police. A crime has occurred and you are the victim.

The cops can't do anything about a dispute like this between and store and a customer. It's not a criminal matter but rather a civil one so they'll just refer you to the local civil court, better business bureau etc., so that would be a waste of time vs. just going those avenues first.

But as others note, keep going up the Best Buy corporate ladder until you get some that will rectify the situation.

taikoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad in your ipad2 box have a serial number that might help you to track down the previous user. If Apple can help you track him/her down, it might help as long as you can prove that person is not you. However a police report might require. Very sorry you hear that you got into this mess.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some thoughts....

The cops can't do anything about a dispute like this between and store and a customer. It's not a criminal matter but rather a civil one so they'll just refer you to the local civil court, better business bureau etc., so that would be a waste of time vs. just going those avenues first.

But as others note, keep going up the Best Buy corporate ladder until you get some that will rectify the situation.
They can take a report. This IS A CRIME. The guy stole an iPad 2.

It is not a civil matter anymore than shoplifting is. Try walking in with an iPad and swapping it for an iPad 2... then tell security as they stop you that it is a "civil matter."

And it's not a desire to call the police... only to show the willingness to do so. If I was the manager I would not think the real thief would want to do that.

Michael

Most reactions