What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better than safari ?

I

islandman

Last edited by a moderator:

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While I use Safari most of the time, I like the free version of Mercury as it allows me to turn off most images when using cellular. ('Most' as a few adverts still show images, possibly because they are in a cache.)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another vote for Mercury. I also like its flexible gesture navigation, and its tight integration with the LastPass password manager.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The advantage of Safari is the rest of the apps link to it. Part of the Eco-system.

Charlie Fox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use duckduckgo in Safari as they don't record your travels and keeps your privacy. Google record everything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Charlie Fox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just trying Mercury, looking pretty good if maybe a little slower and using duckduckgo as my search engine.

woesong01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain to me the design strategy behind wasting half the blasted real estate in landscape mode on Favorites. Hideous. There are plenty of sites still not constructed around mobile, so it's very helpful to go sideways to see everything, but Safari and Mail plunk that idiot list of URLs like a blasted cataract to utterly ruin the strategy. Why is that? Never mind ; I have Chrome onboard now, so the business is handled correctly.

Makes you wonder what else the Android crowd gets right.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
InSafari In landscape if 'the book' at the top is blue your bookmarks are displayed, touch it, it turns white and those URLs disappear. Seems clever to me.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like Safari and use it pretty well exclusively. I have used Chrome in the past, but don't use it now. I uninstalled it when I upgraded to the Air.

I also use Puffin browser. It allows you to view pages with Flash (and works quite well). I use it the odd time that I go to a site with Flash. The Flash enabled version of Puffin is around $4 dollars.

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm currently using Dolphin browser on my iPad. I like it on my 'droid phone better, but it's pretty good here.

Besides for being a career musician I sell musical software. It's file data that rides on the coat-tails of a music making app.

I zip things up and use drag-and-drop installation. I used to use Stuffit and WinZip self-extractors for distribution, but because everything now is auto-download, overly aggressive anti-malware would register a false positive and deny access.

Mac customers are about 5% of my total sales (the app I ride on the coat-tails of works better on Windows), but when there are download problems, Safari browser users are about 50% of my problems.

Download problems rarely happen, but when they do, 50:50 it's a Safari browser and if I ask them to use another browser or if I send it as an e-mail attachment the problem is solved.

That makes me shy from using Safari myself.

I don't like Chrome either, simply because I know Google tracks every search term I input and uses that to send me advertising. I don't use Google search either.

I have active ear protection for my ears when gigging, and they use hearing aid batteries. I searched for them with Google and found a much better price than I can get locally. The price I paid for that was being barraged with hearing aid advertisements. This went on for weeks. --- So I did a bunch of searches for guitars, saxophones, and women's bikinis and the pictures in the ads got a lot better. Funny, although I did more searches for the guitars and saxophones, women's beach wear ads came up more frequently (I can't say that's a bad thing)

So now for search I use either ixquick, Start Page, or Duck Duck Go as none of them track your searches.

I wouldn't mind them selling my data if they would only give me 20% of the sale price.

Facebook does the same thing so here is a 'poem' I wrote:

ODE TO FACEBOOK

Oh Facebook how are you today?
I visit you most every day

And everything I do or say
you put into my dossier

Where was I born? what was my school?
Enter your job, be very cool

You even know my family
and everything that's dear to me

My information's gold to you
it sells to stores and spammers too

If I click "like" or I repost
your clients will dig me the most

I click an ad merely to look?
the ad man pulls to set the hook

It'll be in my e-mail later today
and web pages, day after day

And It'll waste, some of my precious time
and you'll receive lode from my mine

I wouldn't mind the money you make
if a commission I could take

I'd like to get twenty percent
but you don't offer one red cent

So Facebook please let's make a deal
just cut me in, no need to steal

I'll finish my profile if you do
and we will profit, both me and you

Bob

Charlie Fox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I stopped using Mercury, it was to slow for me though I did like the layout.

Most reactions

Latest posts