What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

auto correct is annoying

madameJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I am sure that this topic has been mentioned before, but there must be a secret to controlling the auto correct without turning off the spellcheck button.

So, my question is...is there a way to keep spellcheck on but turn off auto correct ? When i Went into settings, I had to turn both buttons off to deactivate the auto correct button. I need spell check but auto correct has gotten me into trouble too many times! perhaps, if not, how could i keep auto correct from changing my word? My tactic is cumbersome and time consuming! example, if I am writing the word zeek and the computer wants to change it to seek then I have to add another letter to zeek like a s zeeks and go back and take it off.

Thanks for any comments,

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is bad news and good news.

The bad news is that you can't turn autocorrect off but leave spellcheck on.

The (partial) good news is that you can use a workaround to stop the iPad flagging errors for perfectly good words and replacing them.

An iPad Forum member noted that the iPad never corrects the names of contacts in your Contacts app. So this Member suggested - and it works just fine - putting a number of 'spoof' contacts into the Contacts database that are the words that the iPad keeps on autocorrecting - perhaps they're technical or business terms.

So, over time, I've gradually added a whole series of technical terms to my Contacts list and now they no longer get flagged as spelling mistakes or autocorrected.

Tim

OP
M

madameJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I could try that with some words but I seems I should just turn it off and learn how to spell. :)

P

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm hoping this is changed in iOS 5. There is supposed to be univeral dicionary lookup, so it's not impossible that spell check will get some lov'en care.

tmno2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think "Spellcheck" uses some obscure Dictionary like from the official Kazakistan to English phrase book!

Most reactions