What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you Ios 5 yet?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sir, forgive my ignorance on this matter, but, can you explain how to back-up as I am a new apple product-owner and don't have much knowledge regarding this...thanks in advance...
Generally backups are performed automatically via iTunes every time you connect your iPad to your computer. When you connect your iPad to your computer iTunes should open automatically. The first thing it will do is backup your device. You can view the backup's progress at the top of the screen. It will then sync and when it's done it will say "iPad sync complete. OK to disconnect".

If for some reason it hasn't backed up you can create a manual backup by control-clicking or right-clicking on your iPad in iTunes' left-hand column and clicking on "Backup" in the menu.

You can take a look at your backup by opening iTunes > click on "iTunes" in the top menu bar > iTunes Preferences > Devices. Your iPad should be listed along with the date of the most recent backup. While you're there note if you have "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically". Unless you have a reason to do so, that should not be checked.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple usually release updates at 10am CA time. 10am on 12 October in CA is 2am on 13 October Sydney/ Melbourne time or 11pm 12 October Perth time.

It's the same time guys the servers will switch over at the appointed hour and everybody in the world will have access and long as Apples Servers can resist the urge to melt.

Last edited:

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
6:45 manila time no ios5.:(:(

Work out from CA time. It will be available at approx 1am 13 October Manila time. Do you not understand how time zones work?

Last edited:

Fxgt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Singapore now is 7.25pm and i have checked the apple store, no iOS5, wonder why?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was asleep lol time shift

Rich answered your question regard back up so I can relax. It is usually automatic One thing I do is go to iTunes menu and transfer purchases This makes sure your apps are all transferred to iTunes. The update time after your back up is complete will be from 45 mins to 1.5 hours. Keep in mind the Apple servers will have a massive down load in fact in the hundreds of thousands at any one time so be patient. Make sure your PC is on power supply NOT battery

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
About 45 minutes start to finish and we only have ADSL not even ADSL2+.
Did the download to hard drive then install rather than download and install. No issues whatsoever.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It took about 1 hour for my Ip 4 and IPad with 3 to 4 errors. Running smooth now. I have one more IP 4 to do.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Generally backups are performed automatically via iTunes every time you connect your iPad to your computer. When you connect your iPad to your computer iTunes should open automatically. The first thing it will do is backup your device. You can view the backup's progress at the top of the screen. It will then sync and when it's done it will say "iPad sync complete. OK to disconnect".

If for some reason it hasn't backed up you can create a manual backup by control-clicking or right-clicking on your iPad in iTunes' left-hand column and clicking on "Backup" in the menu.

You can take a look at your backup by opening iTunes > click on "iTunes" in the top menu bar > iTunes Preferences > Devices. Your iPad should be listed along with the date of the most recent backup. While you're there note if you have "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically". Unless you have a reason to do so, that should not be checked.

Thanks Rich for the clear and concise instructions.
Think I. Will give it a go today.
Still nervous about my BBC down loaded episodes. And pass words etc
Took ages to down load ready for an over seas trip.
Will just have to bite the bullet..........

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
55julie55 said:

Can I suggest you do a search on Rich's name as he has written some fantastic advice for those upgrading......be worth tracking back through his posts over the last three days. If you follow what he says then you will be well on the way to success.......now, I must start backtracking and liking his posts!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best of luck! Although there have been the odd quirks about missing podcasts, etc. after the upgrade, everything has been fine for a majority of people including yours truly.

If you run into any issues, there's a troubleshooting post here:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/49411-ios-5-upgrade-troubleshooting.html

Let us know how things go!

Most reactions

Latest posts