What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps stuck in "Waiting" mode

dredmond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ever since I updated to iOS-5 on my iPad2 I'm unable to load new apps or update apps via our home Wi-Fi. They start to load then stop and stay in "waiting" mode for days. If I conncet to iTunes via my desktop I can drag the app to my iPad or if I sync, then the apps finish loading and are ok. Content of other app, such as magazines and newpapers download via Wi-Fi as does my email accounts.

I've reset (on button and home button) a number of times but it doesn't seem to help.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Denny

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm subscribing to this thread because I'd be interested in the answer too. I'm afraid, though, that I can't help.

Tim

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ever since I updated to iOS-5 on my iPad2 I'm unable to load new apps or update apps via our home Wi-Fi. They start to load then stop and stay in "waiting" mode for days. If I conncet to iTunes via my desktop I can drag the app to my iPad or if I sync, then the apps finish loading and are ok. Content of other app, such as magazines and newpapers download via Wi-Fi as does my email accounts.

I've reset (on button and home button) a number of times but it doesn't seem to help.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Denny

Possible Solutions:
1. Rebooting (
)
2. Reload application or Resuming
3. Try another Wifi
4. Try Another WiFi provider ( borrow a User/Paas from someone)
4. Logout of the store and logIn
5. Create another user and logIn
6. Preform an Application full SYNC with iTunes
7. Reset all Settings to "Factory Settings)
8. If it happens only on payed Applications - Update your credit-card

And - Restoe full from Backup.

Last edited by a moderator:

djkef

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem on my ipad2 and tried all of the different little tricks but nothing worked. I finally got the apps to not be stuck in WAITING, by completely resetting the entire thing and dumping all data. You will lose your pictures so back those up first. Go to settings and then to where you have 3 options to reset. Option 1 lets you reset without losing data - this doesn't resolve the problem, but try if you like. Option 2 lets you reset the network connection - same result as Option 1. Option 3 lets you reset the whole thing and puts you back at the Out Of The Box default settings. You will have to redo the initial set up as if it were brand new. Then go to the apps store and click on the Purchased option and download all of your apps that you lost. It should work fine now.

Last edited:

PhillyJoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Figured it out

I had the same issue. It turns oue there were some stuck downloads in itunes that were holding everything up. To fix it, go into the iTunes application, open the downloads view and delete the downloads with a left swipe.

Tdotchick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same issue. It turns oue there were some stuck downloads in itunes that were holding everything up. To fix it, go into the iTunes application, open the downloads view and delete the downloads with a left swipe.

Thank you so much! Have spent two days trying to fix this!!

juho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A stuck podcast download in iTunes was the culprit for my app update problems as well. Definitely worth checking out if you're experiencing the apps stuck in Waiting state problem.

juho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, this doens't seem to be a very widely reported possible solution, many sites seem to only list the usual reboot, try to sync using a computer, delete and re-download etc. options..

VeticanIi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers!

A stuck podcast download in iTunes was the culprit for my app update problems as well. Definitely worth checking out if you're experiencing the apps stuck in Waiting state problem.
Thanks!

And to the original poster of this tip:

You little belter! Absolutely worked and my apps are back and updated. Thank you very much for this answer!
I shall remember you in my will - you can have ALL of my overdraft ;)

R.

trickyt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had same problem - app waiting stuck - . I tried everything. Finally the only thing which worked was to plug it into my mac and do a factory reset, followed by a restore my iphone. that worked.

jbsound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may also have an app that was running at the time that an update was performed. In some cases that app doesn't shut down properly when it is being updated, meaning that it'll get stuck in your list of running apps and essentially holds up the updating of all your other apps.

To remedy the problem, double-click the Home button to see if any of the running apps is in a "Waiting" mode (waiting to be updated). Most likely, you won't be able to shut the app down with holding your finger on it and clicking on the "X" button. You'll have to delete it entirely. However, once that app is gone from the device, you should be able to go back and start another update on all the other apps that are stuck. The only app and associated data you'll loose in this case is that one app that's stuck in the list of running apps.

melroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this suggestion. It so worked for me! After rebooting and deleting (then reinstalling) the stuck apps, I followed your suggestion and went to ITunes and discovered a podcast stuck in downloading. I paused that podcast, and all my updating apps that were stuck in waiting mode began downloading. Life is good again. :)

Jacobtf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man, I've had this problem driving me crazy. I will be checking out the tip about stuck downloads. However, while both my iPhone 4, iPad 1 and iPad 2 are all using same iTunes account and same iOS (5.01) only the iPads have this stuck at waiting-problem!?

Most reactions

Latest posts