What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple to charge for iPad OS upgrades after one freebie

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will we ba able to download upgrades from iPad or will we have to connect to iiTunes?

As already stated, it's always going to be through iTunes...because this is also where you back up your information. I'd rather do it that way, than attempt an on device download and have it screw up and lose everything.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All iPod Touch major updates are paid....all OSX major updates are paid...why would the iPad be any different? You don't pay a maintenance fee for the device to keep it readily up to date and Apple has no obligation to give you new features for free.

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All iPod Touch major updates are paid....all OSX major updates are paid...why would the iPad be any different? You don't pay a maintenance fee for the device to keep it readily up to date and Apple has no obligation to give you new features for free.

Well, except for iOS4, Mr. Jobs said that one was going to be free this time ;) .

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, except for iOS4, Mr. Jobs said that one was going to be free this time ;) .

I haven't watched the keynote yet...I'm guessing because it is a major revision that will be needed for a lot of new apps to run...so if its free its guaranteed everyone will be up to date...its usually just user features.

Snow Leopard was only $30 to entice new users since Tiger support is done and Leopard will be dead soon.

Snagtooth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe someone already mentioned this, but if not...

I am OK with paying for updates that offer increased functionality, provided security/bug fixes and maintenance updates remain free.

HOWEVER, I do NOT want to see Ads popping up in my OS apps as it sounds like they will be soon. While I love the user experience of Apple products, I am becoming increasing disturbed by Mr. Jobs business model of snookering you in on a paid product or service and then locking out the competition while force feeding unwanted advertising and leaving you only 2 options - opt in or stop using the product that you paid a premium for in the first place.

Maybe my understanding is off base, but that's where I'm at.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the ads would only appear in Apps, and at this point I see more ads in the Jailbreak software than anywhere.

I don't think you would have to stop using a device, just the 'free' app that has annoying ads in it.

I typically delete an app the first time I find an ad in it, I have no problem paying for an ap, but will not tolerate ads in them.

mayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not opposed to dropping $10 for further upgrades beyond OS 4.0

Even software upgrades for desktops incur fees at some point. Apple OSx Leopard was only $29, MS is getting $69 - $114 for Windows 7 upgrade.

ARDOTBEE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ofcourse there had to be a fee for upgrading the software, but regardless it shouldn't matter because the next upgrades are going to make the iPad soo much better..

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Things may have changed. When steve anounced the new iPhone 4 he said that they "came up with a way" to allow the new iOS 4 for all devices for free.

iPod Touch devices used to be charged for major updates but now with the iOS devices being so popular and with the number of iPads sold apple may now be making all the future updates free just like they did with the iPhone.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe someone already mentioned this, but if not...

I am OK with paying for updates that offer increased functionality, provided security/bug fixes and maintenance updates remain free.

HOWEVER, I do NOT want to see Ads popping up in my OS apps as it sounds like they will be soon. While I love the user experience of Apple products, I am becoming increasing disturbed by Mr. Jobs business model of snookering you in on a paid product or service and then locking out the competition while force feeding unwanted advertising and leaving you only 2 options - opt in or stop using the product that you paid a premium for in the first place.

Maybe my understanding is off base, but that's where I'm at.

Where did you hear there would be ads in os apps?? iAd is a standardized advertising format so free apps can be fast with ads not hindering them...and it's a way for apple to cash in on free apps....it's not to incorporate ads into the os...

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am also ok with paying for a 2nd or 3rd update. Most mobile manufacturers refuse to offer updates and require that you upgrade your hardware to get the latest software or OS. At least in this case, it sounds like Apple will continue to support the ipad with updates even after iPad 2 is out.

Snagtooth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where did you hear there would be ads in os apps?? iAd is a standardized advertising format so free apps can be fast with ads not hindering them...and it's a way for apple to cash in on free apps....it's not to incorporate ads into the os...

I apparently misunderstood one of the write-ups I had read on the web. However, this is welcome news as I often pay for apps to avoid advertising.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have found that the charge for the iPod Touch updates were due to accounting rules. However, that has been changed, so you will probably find that updates for iPhones, iPads, and iPods will be free. The iOS4 for the Touch will be free, but like a lot of things, it will not be fully hardware supported, depending on which model you have.

Most reactions

Latest posts