What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We get at least one major OS upgrade for free

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like Apple will give iPad owners the next major software upgrade that comes out after you purchase. So those of us that are buying right away will not have to pay to upgrade to 4.0 but we may have to pay for 5.0.

Source

Apple will provide you any iPad OS software updates that it may release from time to time, up to and including the next major iPad OS software release following the version of iPad OS software that originally shipped from Apple on your iPad, for free. For example, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.x software release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models.

HX_Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the time 5.0 comes out, Im sure all the early adopters will be ready to buy the next iPad with new hardware features. Shouldn't be an issue.

rob the elder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have a gen1 IPOD. What do you mean, not an issue LOL

They will have to do what ever updates are necessary to keep the IPAD current with ITUNES store changes. That is why my Apple TVs have been getting free OS upgrades since day 1. And all my various IPODS same thing. They need to be able to buy from the Istore.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a difference between iTunes support and something like allowing 3rd party audio streaming (raido) apps to run in the background. Or allowing the iPad to act as a monitor for say the MacMini. Those are the kind of big changes you wouldn't see to older devices as legecy support.

Gen1 iPod Touch with iPhoneOS 2.3 or something like that? Well not that it likely matters to you but 3.0 had chinease writen character support added.

Last edited:

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea I still have my gen1 touch and it works great. Typing on it right now. Hoping they don't make it obsolete too quickly. I'm just focused on "late April"!

ipadking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait, we are going to have to pay for firmware? What kind of bs is that? Who charges for firmware?

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait, we are going to have to pay for firmware? What kind of bs is that? Who charges for firmware?

It's only for what they consider "major" fw upgrade. On my gen1 touch I think it was $10 for the last major fw update. Smaller ones are free. No big deal.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad update

not so long time ago , when have update you have to change the device .... just buy a mobile Nokia no update because after 6 month he become obsolete ... or go to Android where they have update but can't be upgrade ...

gjperera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gilsmethod.com
So what will version 4.0 have? What do you all think? Multi-tasking? or will they push that to iPad 5.0 and force us to pay for the upgrade...with or without multi-tasking the iPad and the iPhone will continue to sell...a lot of folks complain about it, but I still see a lot of folks buying them regardless...it's almost an none issue if you ask me - other than being able to listen to Pandora in the background ;)

Ronanb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I look at it this way. My computer is running on Vista. If I want Windows 7, I have to pay for it. There's a difference between a new operating system and firmware that might fix any bugs.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what will version 4.0 have? What do you all think? Multi-tasking? or will they push that to iPad 5.0 and force us to pay for the upgrade...with or without multi-tasking the iPad and the iPhone will continue to sell...a lot of folks complain about it, but I still see a lot of folks buying them regardless...it's almost an none issue if you ask me - other than being able to listen to Pandora in the background ;)

people complain but beside background audio apps like pandora what else do you need to run simultaneously that a state save wouldn't be the same as?

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I look at it this way. My computer is running on Vista. If I want Windows 7, I have to pay for it. There's a difference between a new operating system and firmware that might fix any bugs.

Well said. That's why they don't charge for x.4... Those are bug fixes. 4.0 is a new OS.

Most reactions

Latest posts