What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Store visit!

Ellie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Took our little pad on trip to Seattle and visited Apple Store near daughters house. The apple guy gave me an answer to question I had regarding down loading new OS when it comes out. I did not understand that Ipad is not a stand alone computer. It is only to be used second to computer. He said I may not have to tether more than once a year but I will have to tether to computer when OS comes out or any other upgrades I may want. He said you can tether to any computers I tunes. You can even go to Library computer. We do have an old windows xp and I was afraid if I tethered to it I would lose some of my stuff on iPad but he said no. I originally set up iPad from my little laptop but I gave that granddaughter so I was concerned how to do it from old xp. That was my only questions for them. :D

Ron_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's just like the iPhone in that regard. It has to be connected to iTunes once in a while for OS updates (not just a major upgrade like iOS4, but minor updates with bug fixes, security patches, etc. that come out once in a while).

Abrennan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.eyepadulation.com
I'm always disappointed by my visits to apple stores. There are always too many people their. It seems to me that the staff spanned their whole time talking to people who aren't going to buy anything.

Last time I visited a store I could see the separatism. Around the edges people stood alone or in twos or threes waiting to buy things. All the staff had their attention completely taken by people asking aimless, endless, random questions.

After wandering around for a while I stopped a store worker who didn't want to be stopped and said how do i get some service. He said to go downstairs and "find" Amos. What a strange form of customer service.

Of course after obtaining an iPad all of that was forgotten : )

Samurai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Abrennan - similar experience. I walked into an Applestore a couple of years ago intent on buying a Mac mini and nobody would talk to me. It seemed like the employees wanted to show how much they knew rather than ring up a sale. It has seemed a little better recently but I ordered my Ipad direct from Apple to save myself some grief.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Much like an expensive restaurant where the waitresses think they are as wealthy and upscale as the clientele.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You can make an apointment and have a personal shopper. That may be what some of the people you see in the store are doing. They help you find what you want, answer any questions and rign your purchases up.

The apple store is very busy depending on what time you go and they seem to focus more on apointments than assisting random people that just walk in. I have gone in a few times to do things like have my iphone/iPad replace due to defects and every time they ask if I have made an apointment. When I say no I havent they way ok, well you can make an apointment for tomorrow or wait around and get helped if there is an opening between current apointments.

Apple Retail Store - Personal Shopping

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel you, the last time we were in there we couldn't find anyone to check us out for some accessories. The one guy was talking to this woman trying to explain to her that the iPod Touch could not be used as a phone for almost 30 minutes.

I try to avoid the Apple store whenever possible. It's always mania, and no offense to people, but there are a lot of clueless people that seem to buy Apple products, so there are always sales associates (at least at our one, and when I say "our" it's an hour and a half away) answering ridiculously stupid questions and it's almost always impossible to check out.

We try to order everything online instead. Besides, our Apple store here is like the only one within 2-2.5 hour radius if not more, so it's not like they ever have anything in stock anyhow.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
lol, I guess that's what you get when you market your product as something super easy to use and idiot proof. You attract all the idiots trying to prove you wrong :D

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My only Apple store was also a bad experience.

Smug, elite and unhelpful and they didn't act like they were interested in me at all. To compound matters (and keep in mind I'm a proud American who happens to live overseas), the lady at the Detroit Apple store asks me for my address (I was only buy a handful of overpriced accessories) wanted my address. I told her that I never give my address at retail locations, and anyway, I don't live in America now. She was visibly annoyed by that, and then some lady behind me says "good for you, America is going in the toilet".

I have never been annoyed and offended on so many levels in so short a time.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Took our little pad on trip to Seattle and visited Apple Store near daughters house. The apple guy gave me an answer to question I had regarding down loading new OS when it comes out. I did not understand that Ipad is not a stand alone computer. It is only to be used second to computer. He said I may not have to tether more than once a year but I will have to tether to computer when OS comes out or any other upgrades I may want. He said you can tether to any computers I tunes. You can even go to Library computer. We do have an old windows xp and I was afraid if I tethered to it I would lose some of my stuff on iPad but he said no. I originally set up iPad from my little laptop but I gave that granddaughter so I was concerned how to do it from old xp. That was my only questions for them. :D

The Library? Really? Ok, well the truth is...when the new OS comes out you can go to an apple store and they will help you set it up. No worries. Obviously your "genius" didn't know what he was talking about.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lol, I guess that's what you get when you market your product as something super easy to use and idiot proof. You attract all the idiots trying to prove you wrong :D
Pretty much. And there's nothing wrong with that...I just don't quite fit in with that demographic, so it's frustrating when I just want to buy a pair of headphones or an Incase case for my iPad and have to sit through 30 minutes of dumb questions (to me) to buy it.

Then again I never ask a single question when I buy things. I research at home, then I walk in and purchase. In my experience the internet is a lot smarter than any person they have making anywhere near minimum wage working at Apple or Best Buy. Usually the very knowledgable skilled workers are doing something that actually pays worth a damn. And that just isn't Apple I mean anywhere. Because to work at the TV section at Best Buy, for example, there is no requirement to own a big TV and good surround system.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Library? Really? Ok, well the truth is...when the new OS comes out you can go to an apple store and they will help you set it up. No worries. Obviously your "genius" didn't know what he was talking about.
That about sums up what I posted just above this. Idiot, elite minded teenagers making damn near minimum wage to pass out crap information.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I digress,but like how the best buy pc expert told me I could pay the geek squad $150 too essentially remove the crapware from a new pc when I inquired about slow boot up on the floor model.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I digress,but like how the best buy pc expert told me I could pay the geek squad $150 too essentially remove the crapware from a new pc when I inquired about slow boot up on the floor model.

Did they also offer to install Norton Anti Virus for 99$ as well (just to install, not including the cost of the software), or is there a combo package for that? :p

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I visit my Apple store often and no matter how many people are there I never have a problem getting service.

Most reactions

Latest posts