What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Releases iTunes 11

NakedFaerie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I read the entire article. Frankly, it's not a well written article at all and the author has a weak understanding of technical matters. Its really just a rant written to appeal to haters of iTunes, and for that purpose it's working just great. :)

I have to apologise as I don't look at who's replying as 99% of the time is just some troll wanting to abuse whoever and I've been known around to get abused just because people know me from other forums where I get abused there all for no good reason but someone to abuse.

Still it's going around the net on a few forums and as I've just posed even the newspapers are joining in that iTunes and apple for that matter are getting worse and not up to its standards.

Norsky48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

Relative new guy here with a question on iTunes. I just upgraded to 11 and ran across something I'd never seen before and I've been using iTunes for a long time. Some of the movie files I imported wind up in "Home Videos" a category under "Movies". Does anyone know how I can get these into just the "Movie" category. Under "List" view, they are all present, but not with icons, which I like. Thanks in advance!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to apologise as I don't look at who's replying as 99% of the time is just some troll wanting to abuse whoever and I've been known around to get abused just because people know me from other forums where I get abused there all for no good reason but someone to abuse.

Still it's going around the net on a few forums and as I've just posed even the newspapers are joining in that iTunes and apple for that matter are getting worse and not up to its standards.

No Sir! He is definitely not a troll. And if you had spent some time in this forum, you would have concluded that. Obviously you have been spending your time in other forums where they apparently abuse you. Well, 99% of them seem to do. I don't know, somehow I can't help wondering WHY people who know you and where you have been "known around" tend to abuse you for "no good reason".
Anyway, I would think the subject, turning the way it is, would possibly be considered by the Moderators as closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The link you posted says nothing about the new iTunes..it's just built up hate from previous versions....it's useless in regards to iTunes 11 unless you just intend to show that there have been lots of haters of iTunes. We already knew that.

That article reads like a hatchet job on iTunes. Some people really hate iTunes.

The biggest problem with iTunes was its instability on a lot of systems. However since I started using computers with 4GB or more of memory and more than one core I have not found it to be so bad in terms of speed. I still have had to kill it occasionally but as a way to put music on to my iPods and manage my iPad it has been fine.

Compare it to how you do it with other systems. Put music on an Android device? Plug it into the computer and copy it on to the device or put it on an SD card. Easy. However if you want to check the MP3 tags or add album art then you need to run something else - like "mp3tag" or "media monkey" as an example. Add files for a particular app? Copy it to the device or to an SD card. Still easy. There is also DropBox or using email etc to get content to an iPad or other tablet. There are options.

Apple want you to use iTunes to manage the content. I find it works fine for that (as long as it doesn't crash which luckily it usually doesn't for me). You get used to its way of doing things.

It seems a bit over the top to post on an iPad forum accusing people of being Apple fanboys. It is also showing a lack of respect as it is being used as an insult and a way to try and belittle the other persons point of iew. The apology also came over as less than sincere.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

And we do hope that your apology is sincere...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks, we do ask for the discussions within this thread to stay on topic and not stray off to various discussions as it has. Should it continued to steer in that direction we will be forced to close it. You are all welcome to voice your opinion, however, it needs to be done in a respectful manner without name calling or inferences to names included in your comments.

Thank you.
Ski...
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Hey, it's ok. I understand about iTunes. I have posts on here describing my strong hatred for it.....but I'm hoping iTunes 11 will remove that hate....hate is no good. :)

We can disagree here, but we don't allow personal attacks. You are free to express your opinions as are others. Just don't get personal and you will be fine here. Many forums have trained users to go into attack mode at the drop of a hat, but you can relax here.

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Hey, it's ok. I understand about iTunes. I have posts on here describing my strong hatred for it.....but I'm hoping iTunes 11 will remove that hate....hate is no good. :)

We can disagree here, but we don't allow personal attacks. You are free to express your opinions as are others. Just don't get personal and you will be fine here. Many forums have trained users to go into attack mode at the drop of a hat, but you can relax here.

Well this worries me. I'm waiting on my iPad upgrade to one with Retina to arrive and I have seen nothing but negative issues and comments over the iTunes release. I use a MacBook to sync everything to my iPad and iPhone with a considerable iTunes library of music etc on an external USB HDD that iTunes 10 seems happy with. I know iTunes 10 in an interment way and do not see the need to update especially for fear of losing so many great features.

I might unleash 11 on my PC where I have 60GB of music provided I can roll back to 10 if the result isn't good.

What worries me is that these changes from Apple starting with the loss to us Users of Google Maps and the brilliant performance our iPhones/ iPads had when navigating to the experience I used to get watching YouTubes and now this change to iTunes many are calling a DownGrade, let's face it.... Are we seeing the beginnings of a serious changes from Apple.... changes that show they have lost their way....? Don't get me wrong. I love my Apple gadgets, they work brilliantly for my lifestyle but in recent months I have come to feel as a User they don't really care about us and "The Edge" has gone.

That's why I am loathe to put iTunes 11 on my MacBook (and hope I am not forced to).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well this worries me. I'm waiting on my iPad upgrade to one with Retina to arrive and I have seen nothing but negative issues and comments over the iTunes release. I use a MacBook to sync everything to my iPad and iPhone with a considerable iTunes library of music etc on an external USB HDD that iTunes 10 seems happy with. I know iTunes 10 in an interment way and do not see the need to update especially for fear of losing so many great features.

I might unleash 11 on my PC where I have 60GB of music provided I can roll back to 10 if the result isn't good.

What worries me is that these changes from Apple starting with the loss to us Users of Google Maps and the brilliant performance our iPhones/ iPads had when navigating to the experience I used to get watching YouTubes and now this change to iTunes many are calling a DownGrade, let's face it.... Are we seeing the beginnings of a serious changes from Apple.... changes that show they have lost their way....? Don't get me wrong. I love my Apple gadgets, they work brilliantly for my lifestyle but in recent months I have come to feel as a User they don't really care about us and "The Edge" has gone.

That's why I am loathe to put iTunes 11 on my MacBook (and hope I am not forced to).

The first think to keep in mine is there is no way everyone is going to be happy. Others have mentioned features that are removed that they are unhappy with...but there is NO feature of previous iTunes what I was happy with, so none of that matters to me.

I have 11 on my MBA. I gotta say, what I see there I like...a lot. Quick and snappy. I don't have any music on that device as it only has 128GB, so what it plays it plays from the cloud. I also don't have it jiggered into my 80+ GB music store and it is not syncing any of my devices. Thus, this is iTunes in a light installation.

I have another PC that I use for syncing. I have 11 on that, but I still have only done a little playing around in it. It has adapted to all my stuff. I don't like that it doesn't have cover art from all my stuff, though. Windows Media player has most of it. I don't buy much music from Apple, though, so that is part of the reason. But it does seem much more responsive and I find the interface easier to deal with. I like how it treats individual albums. So far, for me, the hate is a lot less already, but I'm not tied to any feature because I felt is was unable for so long that I never warmed up to it. And since I run windows I can use Media Player.

I have several other laptops. I'm going to install it on them and see how using it goes on them.

On Windows, you can hang onto the old iTunes download if you want to uninstall and go back. I imagine you can do the same on MAC. I don't see myself going back, though...I'd rather have fresh code on my devices. I'm sure they can fix whatever problems this release has...if it is rebuilt from the ground up, it is reasonable to expect them to have to tweak things.

Personally, change is a natural part of life. The Maps we had on iOS didn't do voice guided navigation, so I didn't use it anyway (it has always done this on Android, IME). It was useless to me. I moved on. MotionX GPS Drive is really nice as is Navigon. There are great alternatives that offer advantages in their own right. As for Youtube...we that app should be written by Google not Apple, so them dropping it is a good thing in my view, because it means we will see a better version. Same with Maps. Eventually, we will have a version with turn-by-turn based guidance, which again, is a good thing.

I don't see any of this as the edge is gone. It is just change that sets the course for overall improvements.

If you simply listen to others and don't test things for yourself, then who knows what one is letting dictate their thoughts and opinions. I will decide for myself.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't care about iTunes 11 either way. I got iTunes to do what I need without crashing a few generations ago and that's all I care about. I need incentive to upgrade any software, and I don't find reason to in this case, so I won't.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I don't care about iTunes 11 either way. I got iTunes to do what I need without crashing a few generations ago and that's all I care about. I need incentive to upgrade any software, and I don't find reason to in this case, so I won't.

I think it's more to do with my computer than iTunes, Kay. If Aleister Crowley had built computers, he would have chosen Vista as the operating system.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Norsky48 said:
Hello all,

Relative new guy here with a question on iTunes. I just upgraded to 11 and ran across something I'd never seen before and I've been using iTunes for a long time. Some of the movie files I imported wind up in "Home Videos" a category under "Movies". Does anyone know how I can get these into just the "Movie" category. Under "List" view, they are all present, but not with icons, which I like. Thanks in advance!

In your Mac or PC you can highlight all the movies you want to move, right click on PC (not sure on Mac) and select Get Info. It may ask if you really want to do this for all say yes then on the bottom line where it says Genre type in Movie and hit enter. All the selected movies will go into the 'directory' called movie.

They won't sort on your iPad though (or maybe you can and I haven't found how) they all fall into the same place. Maybe this will help.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's more to do with my computer than iTunes, Kay. If Aleister Crowley had built computers, he would have chosen Vista as the operating system.

There are probably many reasons why people hate iTunes. I was speaking only about my circumstances. I replace my laptop every two or three years, and iTunes was the prob for me, not the computer.

My hatred of iTunes turned to apathy a while back (after it quit crashing), because Apple hasn't been able to deliver improvements that I find appealing. At this point, Android is more attractive to me, because of its openness and no iTunes. I've decided to get a full-size Samsung tab next, to go with my Galaxy Note phablet. I'm weighing whether to get the latest one or wait for the next model.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
There are probably many reasons why people hate iTunes. I was speaking only about my circumstances. I replace my laptop every two or three years, and iTunes was the prob for me, not the computer.

My hatred of iTunes turned to apathy a while back (after it quit crashing), because Apple hasn't been able to deliver improvements that I find appealing. At this point, Android is more attractive to me, because of its openness and no iTunes. I've decided to get a full-size Samsung tab next, to go with my Galaxy Note phablet. I'm weighing whether to get the latest one or wait for the next model.

Well, whatever hardware you decide to go with, you'd better carry on hanging out here. We'd miss you, so make sure you keep hold of an iPad to give yourself an excuse.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, whatever hardware you decide to go with, you'd better carry on hanging out here. We'd miss you, so make sure you keep hold of an iPad to give yourself an excuse.

Thanks. I probably will stick with iPad for at least a couple of generations more. I like iPad for various reasons, even though I like Amdroid for other reasons. No platform or hardware delivers everything I want yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts