What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad 2 - Big deal or not?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DaveSt said:
Actually to be fair, the Xoom has Flash right now. All you have to do is go to the market and install Flash 10.1. What it doesn't have is version 10.2 optimized for Honeycomb.

Everything on iPad comes in the box. You don't have to go to the app store to download safari do you? You can use all the features on the iPad without the app store.

Give me a break. We have both jailbroken our iPads because obviously we feel there were things missing. And no, not everything comes on the iPad to start with which is why the app store is such a huge success. Want to watch Netflix? Download an app. Want to do online banking? Go download an app. Look, I'm not advocating the Xoom as I am a happy iPad user, but the Xoom web browser comes with the same functionality that Safari does: no Flash browsing. At least you have the option to add it with the Xoom which is something.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess what? The xoom doesn't have flash for a while.

Actually to be fair, the Xoom has Flash right now. All you have to do is go to the market and install Flash 10.1. What it doesn't have is version 10.2 optimized for Honeycomb.

And those that do that will watch their battery life drop dramatically.

Maybe so, maybe not. I will reserve judgement on that (hot button) issue until I see real empirical evidence. I don't believe either side right now.

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score

And those that do that will watch their battery life drop dramatically.

Maybe so, maybe not. I will reserve judgement on that (hot button) issue until I see real empirical evidence. I don't believe either side right now.

I think Adobe put that issue to rest when they realized they needed to develop a mobile flash for sustained video buffering. It's called Stage Video. Without their being successful with SV, tablets with flash will suffer.

I'm like you though, I think the Xoom looks very promising. Competition is a good thing and can only force higher quality development and price competitiveness.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DaveSt said:
Give me a break. We have both jailbroken our iPads because obviously we feel there were things missing. And no, not everything comes on the iPad to start with which is why the app store is such a huge success. Want to watch Netflix? Download an app. Want to do online banking? Go download an app. Look, I'm not advocating the Xoom as I am a happy iPad user, but the Xoom web browser comes with the same functionality that Safari does: no Flash browsing. At least you have the option to add it with the Xoom which is something.

My point was that you don't need to download stuff to make the iPad work. Flash is a huge reason that people get the android tabs, so shouldn't they have it out of the box? Bad marketing.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
writerranger said:
I think Adobe put that issue to rest when they realized they needed to develop a mobile flash for sustained video buffering. It's called Stage Video. Without their being successful with SV, tablets with flash will suffer.

I'm like you though, I think the Xoom looks very promising. Competition is a good thing and can only force higher quality development and price competitiveness.

That is true, competition will force apple to make the iPad 2 better.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple (nee Mr Jobs) have made the strategic decision not to go with Flash, and their reasons for doing so are on record. It is an opportunity (if you want to call it that) for the competition to exploit, but I don't know that it will give them that much of a leverage.

When it comes to innovation, Apple are far too savvy not to have done their homework and considered, "if we don't support Flash on iOS, how will that hurt our product?" - and judging by the crazy iPhone/iPad sales so far, it doesn't seem to have. Apple may very well reverse their decision about Flash as hardware and software progress, but clearly it is not a dealbreaker for millions of iPad owners.

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple (nee Mr Jobs) have made the strategic decision not to go with Flash, and their reasons for doing so are on record. It is an opportunity (if you want to call it that) for the competition to exploit, but I don't know that it will give them that much of a leverage.

When it comes to innovation, Apple are far too savvy not to have done their homework and considered, "if we don't support Flash on iOS, how will that hurt our product?" - and judging by the crazy iPhone/iPad sales so far, it doesn't seem to have. Apple may very well reverse their decision about Flash as hardware and software progress, but clearly it is not a dealbreaker for millions of iPad owners.

I agree with this. Just look at the video end: Flash is already on the run from Silverlight and HTML5. Adobe is hurting. They are a victim of their own suucess in a way; they simply haven't kept up and before they knew it Netflix dumped Flash for Silverlight (and the quality of the stream improved dramatically) and HTML5 is becoming the standard. There was a day, not all that long ago, that Flash ruled and nothing looked like a threat. Except for those who knew how resource hungry Flash really is. Microsoft stepped in and the ultra-light Silverlight took millions of dollars of enterprise streaming away. Now, with HTML5, why go flash? No corporate web designer in their right mind would develop a new site and use Flash video over HTML5.

Bottom line: Apple has no real reason to add flash as it's dying.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I agree with this. Just look at the video end: Flash is already on the run from Silverlight and HTML5. Adobe is hurting. They are a victim of their own suucess in a way; they simply haven't kept up and before they knew it Netflix dumped Flash for Silverlight (and the quality of the stream improved dramatically) and HTML5 is becoming the standard. There was a day, not all that long ago, that Flash ruled and nothing looked like a threat. Except for those who knew how resource hungry Flash really is. Microsoft stepped in and the ultra-light Silverlight took millions of dollars of enterprise streaming away. Now, with HTML5, why go flash? No corporate web designer in their right mind would develop a new site and use Flash video over HTML5.

Bottom line: Apple has no real reason to add flash as it's dying.

Exactly... everyone is yelling at jobs for not having flash, but he knows what he is doing. I don't see any of the flash complainers running a giant corporation like apple.

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Ipad 2 is a big deal for my wife and I so I cant wait to own one.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Ipad 2 is a big deal for my wife and I so I cant wait to own one.

Belated congrats on the new baby. Plenty of great kids apps for learnin and entertainment for ipad. I have a 6 month old n she loves watching Big Buck Bunny on my ipad ;-)

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is there always SOOO much misinformation whenever Android is mentioned.

First of all, you CANNOT go to the market in Android and install 10.1 for the Xoom, it wont work. Its not optimized for the Tegra2 and will not install.

Second, flash does NOT reduce your battery life. Its no different than HTML5. If you watched a flash video and an HTML5 video you would lose the same amount of battery. Anyone repeating this point has no idea what they are talking about and is just repeating a line from Apple. The only reason that Flash would reduce your battery life is that you actually see the video and can play it while the person without flash cannot. So obviously if one users plays and streams a video of whatever length, it will use more battery than someone who does not.

Third, flash is installed out of the box on nearly all Android devices. The reason its not on the Xoom is that the Tegra 2 optimized version isn't out yet. They rushed the Xoom to compete with the iPad2 for some reason. Makes no sense. That is the root of most of the issues right now, no apps, no flash, no sd card support, all because they rushed it out as soon as possible. The Honeycomb SDK for example was released the DAY before the Xoom launched, so obviously there wasn't going to be any apps. Terrible move on Motorola's part.

AHMBE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deja Vu

You know this reminds me of years ago when MP3 players first came out and the battle between Zune and Apple was fierce. Apple won that one hands down, in fact we don't even call the market "MP3 players" anymore just "iPods". I have a hunch in a couple of years we won't be calling this market "tablets" and we sure as heck wont be saying "Xooms". Funny how Zune and Xoom sound alike:p

Most reactions

Latest posts