What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple computers in Hollywood

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's funny that apple has something like 7% of the market yet 99% of computersin Hollywood productions are Apple. Anyone else notice that?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Macs tend to be better for graphic design/CG.
Multi Tasking projects just works much better with Macs.Windows only take up the size that is needed and dont have to take up the full screen.

When doing stuff like making a movie there is a lot of moving stuff dragging stuff from one app and dropping in another and the window management is just way better. It make things quicker, easier and less frustrating.

With windows multi-tasking the user is usually focusing on one app at a time and switch back and forth with the taskbar.

Macs tend to do multitasking by having all the windows open to the correct size needed and having multiple things open and visible to work with at the same time.

Can you resize the windows on windows OS's, yes but they tend to not look as great or not display everything like if it was full screen.

Last edited:
OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does that have to do with props in a movie? And you do realize you can resize just about every window in ms windows, right? You can drag and drop anything...

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
What does that have to do with props in a movie? And you do realize you can resize just about every window in ms windows, right? You can drag and drop anything...

for props, well macs just look better lol.
If you could have a flashy/sleek Mac, a clunky PC tower or no name PC what would you choose.
Design and form factor are one of the added costs of buying a Mac.

Also if Macs are what they use because there better for the videos production process and graphics why not use one of those, people tend to use things they use often and like.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work on movies in Hollywood and I would say it's pretty evenly split between win, mac and Linux. I have a mac pro at home, the studio I'm working with now is mac and windows (3d is windows, 2d is mac).

I personally prefer mac, but it's far from guaranteed.

Mach3Composites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was watching Transformers with the kids last night and was very aware everytime they used a Mac. Excellent marketing.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
everyone who i know who work in the diff fields in hollywood use a mac computer for graphics to photos work ..

keroro1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you are misreading his post.

He means when computers are featured as props in movies, they are almost always Macs.

Not that Macs are used in the movie-making process.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I think you are misreading his post.

He means when computers are featured as props in movies, they are almost always Macs.

Not that Macs are used in the movie-making process.

Agree.... but there still could be a connection. If most are using Mac's in the movie making process, they are more likely to think of a Mac when they need a prop. I used to notice the Mac's all the time in "24", some of it is perhaps paid placement.....

But in my world, it's PC BABY :D

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suspect that if a studio used a lot of Macs, they would also have a few that could be used for props lying around. And I have no doubt that actors tend to prefer being seen using a Mac than a Dell. The cool factor, you know. Add that Jobs knows how to make placement advertising work, and it just fits together. Besides, who notices PCs?

keroro1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats a good point. You certainly notice a glowing Apple logo, especially if its a dark scene.....

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suspect that if a studio used a lot of Macs, they would also have a few that could be used for props lying around. And I have no doubt that actors tend to prefer being seen using a Mac than a Dell. The cool factor, you know. Add that Jobs knows how to make placement advertising work, and it just fits together. Besides, who notices PCs?
I'm sorry, but if people need a certain computer brand to feel "cool", then in fact they are effing losers.

Most reactions

Latest posts