What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone feel that ipad3 battery dropping faster than ipad2?

AirPlayit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is may be normal that iPad 3 battery drops faster than iPad 2's. And the brightness IMO is also a factor which decides how long the battery will run out after 100% charging.

ethansamuel17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.hbipadlabs.com
As per my iPad 3 battery dropdown faster than iPad 2, but there are some things you should keep in mind which leads you improve your battery problem. Avoid using iPad in hot car or in direct sunlight because this Heat will degrade your battery’s performance the most. And iPad 3 is new one so it’s charging cycles will work differently compare to iPad 2.

Biddy44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mine doesn't drain faster, but due to the larger battery size it sure does take longer to fully charge.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is excellent information, and we need information shared to be able to resolve issues.

My wireless iPad 3 (no 4g) drops by about 5% at night with only the cover closed. Though a few times it has been much less. So I am pretty sure it's a software issue.

I have my wifi on all night on it but will try turning that off and see if it has any impact.

Just reporting back on what I found. YES - Setting airplane mode on at night before bed and just putting smartcover on did it. The battery did not drain at all. Leaving it longer like that without closing out any apps (leaving them in taskbar- but with the iPad on the home screeen) I found that the drain is about 1% per day.

I will try experimenting further with push/pull mail and see what effect that has as well as turning off most location services. The iPad is not my phone so I don't need those things running on it.

It's really good to know that the hardware itself is not draining the battery when the iPad is asleep, it's just all those pesky background services.

mckeown05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found mine drained battery when using the smart cover functionality, it was as if it didn't remain in sleep mode even though the screen turned off, I now have the auto sleep with smart cover turned off and have gone old school using the top button as you had to on the original iPad. It no longer drains battery when in sleep mode overnight.

mckeown05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a front cover for the iPad released for iPad 2 onwards, it puts the iPad into sleep mode when closed and automatically wakes the iPad when pulled back.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mrpete31 said:
It's still a bummer to plug this new iPad in every night. Sometimes sooner!

Since I started turning airplane mode on when I leave it for a while it no longer discharges by itself. When I left it last night it had 80% and now I have 80% still after about 12 hours in sleep mode.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I both felt that our new iPads were draining faster than our original iPad 1s, so we tried the trick of running them down completely (that last 5% can take ages when you're watching!) then fully charging them overnight, and battery life has been much improved. So that's a big 'thank you' to the folks on this thread who mentioned it!

Cheers, Pete

Erwaso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I felt that it's dropping faster than iPad 2
It came with 90% at 11am, then I was using it continuously till 1:30 pm, It was 59% at 1:30pm
Battery dropped 31% in 2:30 hrs is it normal? I just downloaded apps and sync music from iTunes by cable, then I was just playing around with it
Note-- I have 32gb wifi only model No 4g

I have the same iPad as you. It does drop faster than coworkers iPad 2. I'm blaming the bigger processor and screen.

Supersonic10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my iPad soooo much but I immediately noticed the difference going from the iPad 2 to the 3rd gen! Almost thought of switching back but I just can't because it is just so awesome in e Rey other aspect! The batt life the is very poor and it makes me a
little sad- hoping they address this next year! On a brighter note and totally different subject I just have to squeeze in that I love the app "Photon" it allows flash content and I get to watch South Park the only issue is you have to refresh the page every 15
Minutes -anyone out there know of any other app that allows flash?????? Thanks a bunch!!

L

Lunar

I think it is may be normal that iPad 3 battery drops faster than iPad 2's. And the brightness IMO is also a factor which decides how long the battery will run out after 100% charging.

The brightness of that screen is the biggest factor IMO... all those 3,194,880 pixels must take a fair bit of power, 4 times as many as previous iPads, so if your running the screen at high brightness this will knock a few hours of your running times. Having 3/4G enabled is also a big battery killer. AIS previously at 40% brightness I always get well over 10 or 11 hours use, and have achieved 12hrs, so a lot depends how you use it. If one's running 100% brightness as some users seem to be running at I'd be surprised if they get 6 hours use.

Most reactions

Latest posts