What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newest iPad - cracked screen - Asurion Insurance

Ocannie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tragic story...just got my new iPad as a gift and someone (no one fessed up) must have dropped it. The top left corner of the screen was shattered. Internally everything is perfect. I went right to the apple store (within my 30 days) am the girl was awful! Told me to buy a new one (64 gig...WAY EXPENSIVE), pay apple $350 for a new one (I don't have AppleCare +) or tape it together. She said with option 2 I would get a refurbished one but that's it. I was so upset with how she brushed off my extremely expensive problem and left the store in tears. I did have Asurion insurance on it so I filed a claim and a new one arrived within 48 hrs. Got the "new" iPad today and immediately I felt in the pit of my stomach that I got screwed. As I began to set it up, apples sign in box kept popping up (and continues to do so) with someone else's email address. I'm now regretting ordering the replacement from Asurion, and a,though they were very quick...I feel like this should be a BRAND new iPad "3". Does anyone have any opinions on this? any suggestions on a better way to go about handling this situation? I still have my cracked screen on and a, wondering if I should just replace the screen through a 3rd party.

My second question is this: if I decide to keep the one Asurion sent me, should I send back my cracked one with the sim card it came with and has all my information on?

I'm new to the techie world and am feeling a bit overwhelmed by all this. Thanks so much for your input!!

harlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I can help.
First does your insurance cover you New for Old, if it does then you can complain to them, if not check again with them and tell them that yours is only a few days old and you require a new one not somebody else's reject or repair. You must also make sure that your old one a 3G if it is a iPad 2 or a 4G if it is the new iPad.

They will replace like for like.

Now, since the damage has been caused by mishandling (not you) but somebody else then the broken one you can easily get the glass screen replaced by a reputable third party. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM. To find somebody look up Google and put in replacement iPad screens and you will find someone local that will do it while you wait and the repair should be about 75$ if the digitiser is damaged that is the display itself which is under the screen is damaged this will be maybe 3 times the price. It would be unlikely that this has been damaged as the glass is quite protective.

Speak to your local repair agent, they will advise you properly. There are lots of people that will help you. Then once yours is repaired hayho stick it on Gumtree or Ebay. You will sell it immediately.
Apple are right although a bit unsympathetic to you. It is not their responsibility for your damaged screen, they get this all the time. In reality they should make the screens tougher as there are a lot of cracked screens. Also it has been noted that the screens are a tight fit and the pressure on the case has cracked them but Apple don't seem to want to know about it. This was mentioned in a post I read somewhere on the forums.

Harvey

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would suggest that you not feel so bad about getting a refurbished iPad...(though, what you got is not really a refurbished iPad because it had not been brought back to factory condition). Even so, just wipe the old info out...do a full reset....it will be completely wiped clean...if the body of the new one you got is fine, then it will be functionally as good as new. Apple can't give everyone a new iPad when someone just busted it...but you would be better off with Applecare +, because then it would only cost you $50 (plus the $100 you paid for Applecare+).

If that new iPad you got is in good shape, keep it. You're much better off with that than a busted iPad. And you won't have to spend time trying to get it fixed. Electronic are such that if they work, they work. If it is all scratched and banged up, contact that company for one that isn't. They owe you something better than a banged up replacement...but if the only problem is someone else's email...then you can make that go completely away, never to be seen again! :)

ps: I recently bought a refurb Kindle Fire. It didn't come with anyone's info inside except mine...but it was just like a new Kindle Fire. I have zero problems with refurb electronics...if you ask me, this is one heck of a deal if you get a discount and factory-new (which it appears you didn't, but you still might be able to make do).

pps...another thought...take the refurb to the Apple store...tell them how and why you have it, and ask them to reset it for you. I bet they will and, as long as it is not all banged up, you'll be good to go!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts