What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone feel that ipad3 battery dropping faster than ipad2?

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me it's always the same percentage when I go to bed with the one I have in the morning!

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mikekan said:
For me it's always the same percentage when I go to bed with the one I have in the morning!

Maybe there is an issue with yours due to you being the minority..... :)

Both my daughter and I have the 3rd gen and both drop significantly faster than our two other iPads.
For example: I started out with 51% this morning and after "maybe" 45 minutes of actual powered up time I now have 38% remaining. Transmitting/receiving via 4G yet just posting and emailing etc.. No intensive app use. That's why I wonder if the 4G is partially to blame. Same as above as well, several full discharges and full charges thus the battery should be well conditioned.

Given my own experience with a total of 4 iPads in the house not to mention the plethora of battery use info here and elsewhere it's become very evident the new iPad has less battery time under typical use. And unless your iPad is configured, loaded and experiencing the same external variables - exactly, trying to convince somebody that there's a problem on one or the other is futile. This thread is not bashing the new iPad, just stating real world observations /facts.

Cheers

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not saying that there is or there is not a problem I am just sharing my own experience! :)

awboxster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad3 appears to use more power than my ipad2 but I am using it more at the moment, perhaps that's the reason!. Overnight it uses maybe 2% whereas my wifes ipad2 uses nothing...both with covers closed only.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mikekan said:
I am not saying that there is or there is not a problem I am just sharing my own experience! :)

This is excellent information, and we need information shared to be able to resolve issues.

My wireless iPad 3 (no 4g) drops by about 5% at night with only the cover closed. Though a few times it has been much less. So I am pretty sure it's a software issue.

I have my wifi on all night on it but will try turning that off and see if it has any impact.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
billwill said:
Which Batter Doctor app are you using? Is it good? I'm a total newbie. TIA.

Forget it. Battery doctor apps have zero value for the maintenance of your battery. They are just a sometimes cool view on battery stats if they are accurate at all. Otherwise they are just a drain on battery power.

edwardallene

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
shop.pchappy.com.au
My Ipad 2 span of battery takes longer because I only use my gadget for playing, browsing the net and make some written report in my work. I should say that my battery lasts for 4-5 days. My officemate told me that his Ipad3 used to charge very quickly and also ran down very quickly.I told him to charge it for 5hrs. and will see if the problem is still the same.

MrIpad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 1, 2, & 3 they are all wifi only and I have to say that the battery life on all three of them are really close. When I first get them I drain the battery till it quits and the charge only with the original charger and cable. After that I charge at all various times and never have a issue. Again I always use the original charger and cable. If I charge at night when I go to bed the next morning it is always charged full and ready to go. If I leave it on all day and let it sleep it will only loose a couple of percent all day. I sure am glad I did not get the 4g model, mine operates flawlessly, does not overheat and I use mine non stop sometimes for 8 hours and never ran out of battery. I use a myfi for connection when I do not have wifi. All the people with real issues appear to have 4g GLAD I WENT THE ROUTE OF MYFI. just my 2 cents after owning iPads since day 1 and get a new every time on launch day.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the exact same crap we're dealing with the iPhone 4S' battery life: everybody reporting conflicting data and battery response doing the exact same things with it. It's so frustrating.

I will say I got 30% battery power back when you turn on airplane mode and turn off the transmitter in your 4G device if you have a Wifi+ 4G model. The transmitter for LTE is a lot more robust. But it gets back to the same issue as all the 4S battery threads prove out: why have an iDevice if you have to turn off a lot of features to get the battery life you think you should have.

But seriously gang - did you actually think you'd get the exact same battery life with a retina display iPad as one without it? Of course the battery drains quicker.

MrIpad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MrIpad1 said:
I have the iPad 1, 2, & 3 they are all wifi only and I have to say that the battery life on all three of them are really close. When I first get them I drain the battery till it quits and the charge only with the original charger and cable. After that I charge at all various times and never have a issue. Again I always use the original charger and cable. If I charge at night when I go to bed the next morning it is always charged full and ready to go. If I leave it on all day and let it sleep it will only loose a couple of percent all day. I sure am glad I did not get the 4g model, mine operates flawlessly, does not overheat and I use mine non stop sometimes for 8 hours and never ran out of battery. I use a myfi for connection when I do not have wifi. All the people with real issues appear to have 4g GLAD I WENT THE ROUTE OF MYFI. just my 2 cents after owning iPads since day 1 and get a new every time on launch day.

Oh yes I run the brightness at 50% and auto off all the time on all three iPads.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pianoman said:
But seriously gang - did you actually think you'd get the exact same battery life with a retina display iPad as one without it? Of course the battery drains quicker.

Why yes, :) - considering not only is the battery more than twice the mAh/Ah yet it was also marketed to maintain the same battery prowess as the 1st and 2nd gen. Maybe we'll luck out and a software update will correct it a bit..

- Regardless, I would never give up the 4G. All but one of our iPads are cellular equipped. I would despise having to tote around anything to facilitate an Internet connection. Given our use, without onboard cellular the pad would be 75% neutered. :)

Cheers

Last edited:

bhwolfman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Actually I got the 4g mainly for the GPS since the wifi don't have that, using my phone or Mifi when I'm travelling. The battery issues seem sporadic which makes me think it's software. No doubt that running 4g will drain it faster. But even so, if I compare it to my ipad 2 3g, which can sleep all night and be the same or 1% less, something is going on.

Well, yeah, of course. But the battery is supposedly 70% bigger or thereabouts? With the screen off/sleeping, I would think I would see _less_ drain percentage-wise, not more.

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is excellent information, and we need information shared to be able to resolve issues.

My wireless iPad 3 (no 4g) drops by about 5% at night with only the cover closed. Though a few times it has been much less. So I am pretty sure it's a software issue.

I have my wifi on all night on it but will try turning that off and see if it has any impact.

Before I go to bed I put it in airplane mode and close all open apps. Nothing more! I am sure it is an app that drops the battery in your case.

Most reactions

Latest posts